Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Cruz, DeSantis to introduce constitutional amendment on term limits

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Cruz, DeSantis to introduce constitutional amendment on term limits

Cruz, DeSantis to introduce constitutional amendment on term limits

12/09/16 03:39 PM EST

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) and Rep. Ron DeSantis (R-Fla.) say they want to help President-elect Donald Trump “drain the swamp” by imposing congressional term limits.

The two conservative lawmakers said in a Washington Post op-ed Friday they plan to introduce a constitutional amendment next month to limit members of Congress to three terms in the House and two in the Senate.

The legislative proposal from Cruz, Trump’s former rival for the presidential nomination, and DeSantis, a former Senate candidate and member of the House

Freedom Caucus, reflects a call from Trump late in the campaign to impose term limits.

“We believe that the rise of political careerism in modern Washington is a drastic departure from what the founders intended of our federal governing bodies. To effectively ‘drain the swamp,’ we believe it is past time to enact term limits for Congress,” Cruz and DeSantis wrote. The pair argues that imposing term limits would help prevent stagnation on Capitol Hill.

“Without term limits, the incentive for a typical member is to stay as long as possible to accumulate seniority on the way to a leadership post or committee chair. Going along to get along is a much surer path for career advancement than is challenging the way Washington does business,” Cruz and DeSantis wrote.

“With term limits, we will have more frequent changes in leadership and within congressional committees, giving reformers a better chance at overcoming the
    Beltway inertia that resists attempts to reduce the power of Washington.”

But the push to impose term limits is unlikely to go anywhere. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) said shortly after the election that Trump’s term limit proposal won’t be on the chamber’s agenda.

Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) said he supports term limits, but wouldn’t commit to bringing up the proposal for a vote.
    Under the measure outlined by Trump, as well as Cruz and DeSantis, both Ryan and McConnell would be forced out of their posts. McConnell has served in the

Senate since 1985, while Ryan has been in the House for nearly 18 years.

Moreover, constitutional amendments are particularly difficult to move through Congress since they require a two-thirds supermajority to pass and must be ratified by the states.

The House voted on a measure in the late 1990s to enact term limits, but it twice fell short of the two-thirds support for passage. And in 2012, the Senate handily rejected a nonbinding measure supporting congressional term limits.

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-actio...on-term-limits

I know a lot of people support term limits. But I'm not there yet. This would mean Jeff Sessions wouldn't be in the US Senate. It means Steve King and many others of our friends wouldn't be in the US House of Representatives.

Why would Republicans who control the House, the Senate and soon the White House want a change a thing there except a couple of people like Paul Ryan?

I know Donald Trump proposed this, it was one of his ideas I'm not crazy about. Maybe there should be some limit but 6 years in the US House of Representatives isn't right. That wouldn't even keep Representatives who rode in on Trump's election in the House for his two terms or existing Representatives that helped him to win.

6 years in the House isn't right. Maybe 6 terms, that's 12 years, equal to the 12 years of 2 terms in the Senate.

I'm just not sure about this one.

Look at Paul Ryan, if Paul Ryan wasn't Speaker of the House, we wouldn't even be talking about him. It wasn't voters who did that, it was members of the House, House Republicans. This is a problem they can solve without our having to mess with the US Constitution.

I'm just not comfortable with it yet. Afraid I guess. The Founders were really really smart people and I don't see the wisdom in limiting terms of freely elected people when we won't even enforce the natural born citizen clause of the US Constitution.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW
    I've always supported term limits. I honestly believe most of our politicians go into the U.S. Congress with good intention, but eventually many of them end up corrupt. It's all part of the game for some of them ....... you have to keep those reelection campaign coffers full. Congress is ripe with opportunity for the greedy. And unfortunately greed can tempt the best of them. Of course I'm not talking about everyone in the Congress, but I am talking about a lot of them.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn