Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

LegalUS - I do have to agree on that.

The rate of immigration-based increase in the overall US population is now becoming an upward curve - no longer that predictable linear trend.

The future implications are truly staggering. Things will change vastly if we don't slow down the population growth - coming largely through immigration.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

[Resuming my transcription - 8:53am Pacific]

Kyl Speaking...

Rises to oppose amendment.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Salazar Speaking...

Re: Coleman Amend (S115..

Immigration law is province of Fed. Gov't - not state/local gov'ts

Urges colleagues not to support amend.

Yields...

Sen Akaka offers amend S1186.

Kennedy speaking...

About 20k relatives of Philippino service people that served alongside US armed servicemen in WWII.

Sen Akaka...(D-HI)

Offers amendment to redress historical unresolved situation:
    Dates to 1941 - Roosevelt - drafted 40k phillipinos into US service; in 1990 - had chance to achieve US c-ship - but not extended to veterans sons/daughters - many are still waiting for visas for years.

I urge colls. to support this amendment.

Calls for vote:

Clerk calls roll...(Pause)

Vote upcoming...

[9:24am Pacific]

Tabulating votes...

[Transcriber note - most responses are I's... this will likely pass]

Yeas: 86

Neas: 10

Result: Akaka Amendment (S1186) passed

[Transcriber comment - pay particular attention to those senators that ARE supporting the new bill S1348 and all it's provisions, compared with a rather minor bill like S1186. It makes no sense to support S1348 and then vote NO on something relatively uncontroversial and has relatively lower impacts as S1186.

Sens. Gregg, Chambliss, etc. need to hear about their misplaced priorities... all IMHO of course]

Sen Coleman speaking...

Nothing in his amendment that requires teachers, police, hospital, that anybody do anything. It lifts a gag order simply.

If bill is passed, there is no need for sanctuary cities. If law doesn't pass, law will protect criminals.

Sen Menendez speaking...

This amend undoes state/local police from Fed gov't enforcement.
    LE need flexibility to talk with local immigrants about problems.
    Raises voice - what is probable cause? ....

This leads to (lists several scenarios),

I believe it is discriminatory, it is racial profiling, etc.

We should not support this bill.

Clerk calls roll ...

Vote for S1158 (Coleman Amendment) called:

Result: Akaka Amendment (S1186) passed.

What just passed? I can't find the definition of this bill??
    Once abolish the God and the government becomes the God.*** -G.K. Chesterton from the book 'The Shack' by Wm. Paul Young-

Coleman Amendment (S115 results:

[Going to be very close based on verbal reporting so far...]

10:07 am Pacific

Yeas: 48

Neas: 49

Result: Failed

[Darn, this would have been a very important help in the cause. I'd also like to know who DID NOT VOTE here. Those folks could have swayed this into passing.]

Where can I find the definition of these bills?
    Once abolish the God and the government becomes the God.*** -G.K. Chesterton from the book 'The Shack' by Wm. Paul Young-

alisa - I have to incorporate the description of the bill as I go, so the description my really suck! - to be perfectly honest.

In short the bill allows 20-40k relatives of Filipino WW2 veterans under exclusion from existing US visa quotas. (I personally support this one - many Filipinos fought hard alongside US vets in WW2 and I really don't have a problem with this one passing. The bigger problem to me, is, where people would vote down this one (Akaka) and then go on and support the larger bill (S1348 - which has much larger implications and impact on the country...

Just IMHO, of course...

Dodd has floor...

[Wasn't he the senator that slipped in at that last moment, the provision that we consult the gov't of Mexico before building structures at the US-Mexico border during last year's S2611 process!?!?!?! - yeah, we know... ]

Introducing an amendment... [no number yet?]

To affect number of family members of immigrants that can't prsently come to US under current visa/numerical limitations...

Sen. Hagel (R-NE) has floor...

Changed voted on Akaka amendment (N to Y)

Sen. Cardin (D-DE)...

Switching subject.... to deal with Iranian political exile/dissident..

[Transcriber break]

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast