Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

CSpan2 - US Senate 10/2/07; noon (ET) / 9:00am PT

Lindsey Graham (R-SC) just spoke in introducing a funding bill to fund additional fence building activity, allocate money to ICE for finding visa overstays, and additional security measures/devices (UAVs, etc).

Didn't catch the amendment number. But, if someone can dig that up on Thomas in a little while and post that back here, that would help.

It sounds reasonable (good?).... maybe they need some calls to encourage support for it?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

We ought to make sure he won't try and attach some hidden amnesty bill on top of this one. After all, we are all bigots in his eyes.

I don't trust this traitor for one second and he is just trying to save his butt.
    And, why do we need an additional amendment on top of the new Secure Fence Act law?
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.

400 billion USD defense spending measure - Graham amendment is amendment to funding bill.

Sen. Gregg (R-NH) speaking in support of Graham amendment. 9:10am PT

Recap/paraphrased:

Proposal to increase fencing, border security, detention, # agents,
    # CBP agents, # ICE agents, etc.

Need for additional funding to get needed resources into place.
    Border can and will be secured.

3 billion USD additional emergency funding requested.

Three basic needs:

1. # agents (23,000) needed. Must be LE officers, and trained. Time consuming process.

2. Add detention bed space. Believed needed about 33,000 beds total needed. Why? Policy change from catch-and-release to 'catch-and-hold'.

3. Building the fence. Fencing appropriate for some areas, not for others.
    It is expensive. Also, includes virtual fencing where physical fence not built. Video cam towers, UAV's, etc. used for that purpose. All expensive.

This amendment takes care of these concerns. It is required to protect our country, required to interdict potential terrorists, stop smugglers, ...

I think the American people are cynical, and rightly so, about our ability to complete the securing of the border. At least, this begins to establish the process in allocating the resources to enact meaningful security.

I compliment the Senator (Graham) for recognizing the problem .

You can't get the public confidence for 'immigration reform' until the southern border is secure. etc.

I want to add my name to the list of co-sponsors.

9:15am PT
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

It sounds/looks as though the one he introduced just now, is very similar to one he introduced in July of this year:

http://www.senate.gov/~lgraham/index.cf ... &id=279860

Overall, it sounds like this complements the existing funding for border security and basically bolsters other, but related, aspects of border security.

Comment: Given that Graham proved himself a dufus during the 'Grand Debate', but considering that any additional funding is good funding (IMHO), then why not support it? Do we need some Focus action to get Senators behind this? About NumbersUSA? What are they doing on this (hint - you're supposed to be monitoring for this...)

MW
    Graham's actions are probably motivated by his concern for his political career. From what I understand a lot of S.C. voters aren't real happy with him right now. Personally, I really don't care what his motivations are for offering the amendment - if it'll help - I'm all for it!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

***Semi-important update***

OK, I just heard via CSpan2 that the Graham amendment (3 billion USD for border security and related purposes [my words, not his]) is going to be voted on tomorrow morning after the 1 hour morning business session.

1:53pm PT

PhredE, thanks for keeping us updated!

Thanks Phrede. I'll check numbers

Just checked didn't see anything so I emailed them

Will they talk about 287g? Our city applied this summer and was told it would take up to 2 years to find out?!