Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Banned

Democrats hope to hush Rush

Democrats = Big Brother

Democrats hope to hush Rush
    Feinstein looking at Fairness Doctrine, says talk radio 'overwhelmingly 1 way'

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/artic ... E_ID=56346

Posted: June 24, 2007
    7:30 p.m. Eastern
    © 2007 WorldNetDaily.com

Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., is "looking at" bringing back the Fairness Doctrine, a controversial policy designed to ensure equal time for all political viewpoints on radio, but criticized by many as resulting in the opposite result.

When asked by Chris Wallace on "Fox News Sunday" if she would revive the measure, said, "Well, I'm looking at it, as a matter of fact, Chris, because I think there ought to be an opportunity to present the other side. And unfortunately, talk radio is overwhelmingly one way."

Wallace pointed out, "But the argument would be it's the marketplace, and if liberals want to put on their own talk radio, they can put it on. At this point, they don't seem to be able to find much of a market."

Feinstein responded: "Well, apparently, there have been problems. It is growing. But I do believe in fairness. I remember when there was a fairness doctrine, and I think there was much more serious correct reporting to people."

The Democrat said talk radio tends to be one-sided.

"It also tends to be dwelling in hyperbole. It's explosive. It pushes people to, I think, extreme views without a lot of information."

Among the targets of leftist Democrats is conservative champion Rush Limbaugh, the most-listened to host in the history of talk radio, who has railed against in the Fairness Doctrine for years.

On one of his programs in January, Limbaugh said the push for the measure was solely because liberals were unsuccessful in getting Americans to agree with them.

They can't get coverage, they can't draw an audience; they can't draw an audience in the commercial field, at any rate. So what do they do? They attempt to silence the opposition, and this is an assault on the First Amendment, disguised under that word "fairness."

The application of the Fairness Doctrine worked this way. It basically made it so difficult for local radio stations to put on controversial programming that they put none on. So what you're going to get if they do reinstate this is highlighted programming such as the favorite holiday recipes for Christmastime, sewage problems for the next decade in your local community, and other such things. The application of the Fairness Doctrine would be very, very tough to police.

The point of it was to balance opinions and to be fair, and if one point of view was expressed, the other had to be expressed well, otherwise no opinion could be expressed. There was also a provision that personal attacks, people victimized by those would have a chance to reply and respond and so forth.

Also appearing with Wallace was Sen. Trent Lott, R-Miss., who heated up the airwaves last week by stating, "Talk radio is running America. We have to deal with that problem."

On today's program, Lott said, "I've been defended by talk radio many times and I will support their right to tell their side of the story, right, left or the middle, forever.

I don't think this Fairness Doctrine that would try to require that there be X amount on both sides is fair. So you know, it's caused quite a stir, but, you know, it goes with the territory."

WND reported Friday that Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-N.Y., and Senate colleague Barbara Boxer, D-Calif., want to "fix" talk radio because of its conservative influence on America, according to Sen. James Inhofe.

Diane Feinstein did what she set out to do on the Fox News Sunday Show. She got the topic OFF OF IMMIGRATION ...

Talk Radio is talking about nothing else today. Which means the issue is no longer the Immigration Bill.

That's a big victory for the Open Borders crowd on the day before the bill comes back up in the Senate.

Call ALL of the shows you regularly listen to and tell the host (or the screener who answers the phone) to GET BACK TO THE REAL ISSUE -- Killing the Immigration Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBob
    Diane Feinstein did what she set out to do on the Fox News Sunday Show. She got the topic OFF OF IMMIGRATION ...

Talk Radio is talking about nothing else today. Which means the issue is no longer the Immigration Bill.

That's a big victory for the Open Borders crowd on the day before the bill comes back up in the Senate.

Call ALL of the shows you regularly listen to and tell the host (or the screener who answers the phone) to GET BACK TO THE REAL ISSUE -- Killing the Immigration Bill.
    Well then, we're going to have to do something about that! BTW, Laura Ingram is talking about immigration, not talk radio (Monday morning)
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Are they going to mention that television is basically one sided??? that newspapers are normally one sided??? Are they going to try to silence the liberal media along with conservative talk radio???
    Once abolish the God and the government becomes the God.*** -G.K. Chesterton from the book 'The Shack' by Wm. Paul Young-

Quote Originally Posted by Rockfish
    BTW, Laura Ingram is talking about immigration, not talk radio (Monday morning)
    Glad to hear that. Her first hour was Feinstein -- and that had me worried. Out here on Pacific Time we get her at 6 a.m.

Banned
    Are they going to try to silence the liberal media along with conservative talk radio???
    Exactly alisab. Are they going to force the NY Times, LA Times, Wall Street Journal, NPR etc. to take a balanced approach to reporting? I HIGHLY doubt it!