Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Demography Decides Everything

December 21, 2009

Demography Decides Everything
    Alan Caruba

When I listen to politicians arguing the merits of some piece of legislation, I am usually 99 percent sure they have no idea how demography – population – will affect the outcome of their grand schemes.

This is particularly true of advocates of fixed and often flawed ideas about the environment. Most “save the Earthâ€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Great article. I have been maintaining that same viewpoint in our local political issues. Right now we have a boomlet of younger people---the Obama Generation---who have a somewhat idealistic view of how the world should be. Not that they should not be free to achieve the best that they can---and make changes in the entire society. But they can also be easily misled by powerful interests.
    Locally, in our transportation issues they are in a "alternative transportation modes" frenzy and in full scale assault on personal automobiles. Ten years from now they will have significantly reversed that trend.
    "Men of low degree are vanity, Men of high degree are a lie. " David
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Not a bad article since it considers that in modern times population can stop growing. The Symtex corporation accomplished with "the pill" what thermal nuclear weapons was supposed to do - the depopulation of the Earth.

People have had the "population boom" driven into their heads for a long time whereas it is just assumed that population has to rise and rise, but right now the world fertility rate is only 2.5 which is only 0.4 shy of being mere replacement rate. But, actually, many countries are following the trend of Europe, the US, and Japan. Thailand has a fertility rate of merely 1.1 for example. China is low too with it being able to suspend its fertility laws in the cities since women are choosing to not have children anyway! Mexico is said to be below replacement level in fertility now and has been for some time.

I never really thought about these things until I read an article in the Los Angeles Times magazine about Europe and it also considered other parts of the world, too. I recommend Ben Wattenburg's book Fewer.

All of these doesn't mean the US isn't a population magnet, however it means all the Raza "We are the future" rhetoric is probably untrue. Also, it fails to consider assimilation as a factor.