Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

DEPORTED MIGRANTS END UP HOMELESS IN MEXICAN BORDER CITIES

Deported migrants end up homeless in Mexican border cities

By: DAVID MAUNG - Associated Press

TIJUANA, Mexico -- Mexican border cities are struggling with an influx of migrants deported by the U.S. government, which has been kicking out illegal migrants at record levels, migrant relief groups say.

Many of those deported have spent decades working at restaurants, offices and in the fields from California to North Carolina.

Some return to Mexico virtually penniless after spending their savings on lawyers fees to fight their deportation orders and wind up living on the tough, crime-ridden streets of border cities like Tijuana, where they must fend off corrupt police, gangs and thieves, migrant groups say.

They survive by washing car windows or doing other odd jobs or by simply begging, and many sleep on a river levee in Tijuana, where humanitarian volunteers bring them food and water.

Deportations have jumped fourfold since 1996, when a new law ordered the immediate expulsion of migrants who return after being deported. Deportations increased further after the U.S. government created the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, which has a unit focused on deporting illegal migrants who have been in the country for years.

ICE says the U.S. government has returned more than 1 million illegal migrants each year to the Mexican border.

ICE officials say they try to delay deportations for weeks if migrants have U.S.-born children so they can arrange for child care.

In 2004, U.S. officials tried to break migrants' ties with smugglers, whose fees often include several attempts to cross, by putting them across the border far from where they were caught.

The program, however, outraged Texans who said it brought more illegal immigrants from Arizona into their state, and the Mexican government complained migrants were stranded in unfamiliar areas.

Last year, U.S. officials budgeted $14.2 million for a pilot program that flew as many as 33,900 Mexican migrants to Mexico's heartland rather than leaving them at the border.

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/06 ... _14_07.txt

Comments On This Story

Note: Comments reflect the views of readers and not necessarily those of the North County Times or its staff.

Cry me a river wrote on Jun 14, 2007 9:21 PM:" They are law breakers. Maybe they would prefer living in a jail cell or prison camp. "

Why do I have to press 1 for English? wrote on Jun 14, 2007 9:49 PM:" Why do WE have to pay $14.2 million for a pilot program to return the illegas to Mexico's heartland? Shouldn't Mexico be paying that bill? Let's tack the $14.2 million on top of all of our other costs associated with illegals and add that as a duty on all products exported from the countries from which the illegals come. And while we are at it, require proof of US citizenship to make a wire transfer out of the US. "

Madam Patriot wrote on Jun 14, 2007 10:12 PM:" A few words of advice for the government of Mexico. Start preparing now for a mass influx of your countrymen within the next two to six years. Because it might take up to two election cycles to throw the treasonous bums out of office who are selling out the American people. To make sure that the Mexican government doesn't shirk their responsibility and abandon their people, we'll send Cardinal Mahony and the Catholic church along with the ACLU to see to their rights. Look at it as an added bonus. "

Reardon wrote on Jun 14, 2007 10:19 PM:" They broke the law by breaking in the Country and then committing still another crime for which they are being deported. They are suffering the consequences of their illegal actions. Next question? "

Add Your Comments or Letter to the Editor

Banned
    What no one called ahead while they where waiting at the bus station or airport

Since their stay was only sopposed to be three mounths long or JUST A VISIT mom and dad should have left the light on...

Mexico needs to set up tents cause there going to be on the way home from.

Sea to Shinning Sea!

We really need to tell Geraldo about this! I know that he would want to help !

Oh, and do you think if we contacted The Cardinal, he could use some of the church funds for 'outreach' there ?

"The liberties of a people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." Patrick Henry

return to Mexico virtually penniless after spending their savings on lawyers
    They shouldn't have spent the money on attorneys that are out for your money, and not your best inerest. There are a lot of preditors in that profession.

Also, there are a bunch of homeless people in America too. Mexico just needs to learn how to deal with it.

All these special interest groups need to show these illegal aliens in America what can happen to you if you don't self-deport.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Where is the $20B a year that is being send back to Mexico?

Who cares??? We have homeless American citizens right here that we don't take care of...many of whom are Vets..but we should care about ILLEGALS who are deported back to their own country?
    Just your ordinary, average, everyday, American mom!

I believe this would be Mexico's problem not ours. "Hello Mexican Government You Have a Problem"

I dont believe the "spending their savings on lawyers " BS. They can always go to the Catholic church or the Democrats to get lawyers for free. Heck I'll represent them for nothing and I'm not even a lawyer and I don't hablo espaniol. That way we can rest assured there butts will be back in the country they all love so much that they left it. Sound a little bitter don't I?
    You are the Grayrider, you would not make peace with the bluecoats, you may go in peace

I'm not crying in my milk here. These people broke the law and got caught. If they spent all their "savings" on attorneys, that's their problem.

Mexico needs to deal with the influx of criminals that the U.S. is sending back to them. Quit whining to us.
    Calderon was absolutely right when he said...."Where there is a Mexican, there is Mexico".

I bet most of them have a home they could go to if they wanted, they're just hanging out in TJ waiting for a chance to cross the border again.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast