Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Destination USA: Please Comment

Is anyone here familiar with the content at this website? Are "immigrants" normally told that if they come here for "work" they will get to stay here permanently? Are these the usual rules or have the Bushites changed the rules while we weren't looking?

http://www.unitedstatesvisas.gov/permanently.html

"Immigrant visas are for people who want to live permanently in the United States. You must have one even if you do not want to work in the United States. There are three categories of immigrant visas:

* Family immigrant visas;
    * Employment-based immigrant visas; and
    * Diversity program immigrant visas

Most people who want to immigrate must have a sponsor or petitioner. This can be either a relative or an employer."

Really? Can an employer do that?

Yes, an employer can sponsor you. The employer is telling the government that you have a job and will not be a burden on society. IF you lose that job, you can lose the visa. Unless you find another sponsor real fast.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

I think you are talking about two distinct issues.

An immigrant visa is not a visa to work but to
    immigrate, giving a person full rights to work but
    that does not mean a person has to.

A work visa is usually a non-immigrant visa that has
    to be sponsored by an employer.

Quote Originally Posted by odiesback
    I think you are talking about two distinct issues.

An immigrant visa is not a visa to work but to
    immigrate, giving a person full rights to work but
    that does not mean a person has to.

A work visa is usually a non-immigrant visa that has
    to be sponsored by an employer.
    It sounds as if a permanent immigrant can use a potential employer as a sponsor, but being employed is not an absolute necessity, but an H1-B visa has to continuously work for a list of employers who have authorization to hire H1-B's, or be told to return to his home country. That would explain alot of the reverse discrimination that happened at Ford Motor company. As Ford hired more and more H1-B's, they would fire their permanent American staff to make room for incoming H1-B's, often using bogus "performance" problems to justify the firings. When I worked at Ford as a computer consultant, I remember an Indian co-worker who hovered around my desk during the last week of my assignment. As a consultant it was typical of me to move from job to job; I remember that right before I moved on I was given a "going away pizza party". I also remember seeing my Indian co-oworker grab my computer from my desk (it was Ford property) open up the case and "gut" the case out; he claimed that he was "upgrading" it (ya, right). By doing this he prevented "warm bodies" such as more H1-B's or another American from immediately occupying the cubicle next to him which made it easier for him to "horde" more work for himself.

Yes, you can change the status from H-1B to permanent residency.

Q : Can an H-1B alien intend to immigrate permanently to the U.S.?

Yes. An H-1B alien can be the beneficiary of an immigrant visa petition, apply for adjustment of status, or take other steps toward Lawful Permanent Resident status without affecting H-1B status. This is known as "dual intent" and has been recognized in the immigration law since passage of the Immigration Act of 1990. During the time that the application for LPR status is pending, an alien may travel on his or her H-1B visa rather than obtaining advance parole or requesting other advance permission from Immigration to return to the U.S.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/ ... f3d6a1RCRD

The other popular way to gain permanent residency is
    through Labor Certification. The applicant must have a sponsor and
    he or she must wait for the petition outside the US.

I have no offical stats right now but I believe the
    majority of the H-1B visa holders have the intent
    to stay for good.