Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Are digital photos the main objection to Real ID?

Somewhere in the many recent pages of Real ID discussion, I think I recall that William said the essential problem with Real ID was the digital photo that would be taken and stored in a database. And then this digital photo could be recognized by millions of surveillance camera throughout the world and be able to track people's movements. Am I right so far?

If that is the objection to Real ID, why not just use an ordinary non-digital photo? Wouldn't that eliminate the objection to Real ID?
    [b] If we do not insist on Voter ID, how can we stop illegals from voting?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/REAL_ID_Act

Documentation required before issuing a license or ID card
    Before a card can be issued, the applicant must provide the following documentation[13]:

A photo ID, or a non-photo ID that includes full legal name and birthdate.
    Documentation of birthdate.
    Documentation of legal status and Social Security number
    Documentation showing name and principal residence address.
    Digital images of each identity document will be stored in each state DMV database.

It is my birth certificate and my social security card I worry about
    <div>If you love this nation, please stop illegal immigration.</div>

The idea is that with the a source digital image of a person's face, that 'feature extraction' processing (algorithms) can be run against that image and critical identifying patterns derived (eg 'pattern recognition'/signature generating) which fall into what is commonly called 'facial recognition'.

While the buzzword is probably a bit overused, and the techniques vary somewhat (eg. all the pretty graphics you see on the TV crime shows don't really portray reality necessarily - in fact, they rarely do), but...
    In short, these family of algorithms attempt to uniquely identify a person based on very minute but precise differences in the geometry (primarily) of a person's facial features. (<- layman's explanation. The technical one is far more buzzword laden and statistically-oriented). For the statistically inclined, you'd be talking about statistical separability, differentiation, divergence, similarity measures, classical (linear) vs. non-classical (non-linear) methods, etc. Of course, having a lot of computing power to do such thing in production mode is a very helpful thing too.

The real key to the entire application working well (or not) is the standardization and qualify of the input reference image(s). And that, raises the issue of: who, when, where, how - is that source image collected. In practical terms, one would logically expect government agencies engaged in such activity, to 'grab' imagery collected from:
    a). Justice system - most state/local PDs have arrest/booking 'photos' available
    b). Local DMVs. In every state I've every lived in, having your photo taken is a requisite in getting the DL. So, there is a huge data source for many people just waiting to be used.
    c). (others)....

Just some insight from someone remotely associated with the general subject matter...
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

MW
    Speaking of REAL ID, what happend to the 8 page thread that was running in this forum on the topic? Was it moved or was it pulled? Just curious.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW
    MW Wrote:

Speaking of REAL ID, what happend to the 8 page thread that was running in this forum on the topic? Was it moved or was it pulled? Just curious.
    Case solved - it's back now.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn