Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Don’t count out Donald Trump just yet

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Don’t count out Donald Trump just yet

Don’t count out Donald Trump just yet

By Michael Goodwin
    September 24, 2016 | 9:46 pm

At a recent New York event, a Democratic business titan grabbed me by the shoulder and asked what I thought. I started to say that Donald Trump has the momentum, but he squeezed my shoulder tighter and cut me off.

“He’s going to be president,” my friend said with conviction.

A similar thing had happened the night before, with a conservative friend, who has not been a Trump supporter, declaring, “Trump is going to win.”

I’m not convinced, but there is no denying that, as the first debate approaches, big change is unfolding before our eyes. The combination of Trump’s rise in the polls and Hillary Clinton’s decline, politically and physically, is so pronounced that it is reshaping voters’ expectations of the outcome.

Nate Silver, the statistical guru who runs the FiveThirtyEight blog, now gives Trump a 42 percent chance of winning and is sounding the alarm to complacent Democrats. “Never seen otherwise-smart people in so much denial about something as they are about Trump’s chances,” he tweeted. “Same mistake as primaries, Brexit.”

The new dynamics are rippling through the left-wing media, too. Clinton’s poor performance is leading to suddenly critical pieces of her, and the daily barrage against Trump has lost some of its zealotry. It could be fatigue, or demoralization that their campaign to bring him down is failing.

Charles Lane, a Washington Post opinion writer, attempted to explain the landscape. Under the headline “Why the media blitz on Trump isn’t working,” Lane wondered why “so many Americans support Trump despite months and months of negative, truthful coverage about him?”

Reflecting his bias — that the media should be trusted and Trump never — Lane answered his own question by likening Trump’s support to jury nullification. Noting that some juries acquit clearly guilty defendants to send a message about something they consider more important, such as the criminal-justice system, Lane sees Trump supporters using their votes as a mistaken protest against the political system.

He has a point, but misses an even larger one. Lane’s logic fails because he is implicitly sneering at Trump backers in ways that echo Clinton’s “basket of deplorables” slur, and reflects the same basic assumption. To wit, a vote for Clinton is the only rational choice and anybody who doesn’t agree isn’t thinking straight.

This is pretty much always how the left sees and talks about the rest of America. Ostensibly open and inclusive, many liberals are in fact parochial, closed-minded and bigoted. They don’t understand or have any respect for those who view the world differently.

Trump’s backers also are demeaned in ways that suggest racial and class bias. White, affluent liberals are contemptuous of his working-class supporters, as if only poor nonwhites can have legitimate grievances.

The numbers show how ignorant their assumptions are. Translating Trump’s polls into votes, his support of 40 percent or more would mean about 50 million votes. Those 50 million Americans, citizens of all kinds and living all across this huge country, are telling us something about themselves, their worries and their dreams, but are being dismissed as ignorant and irrational bigots.

Is self-interest only valid for media-approved groups? Are individual liberty and democracy still respected?

Of course they are — as long as you vote as you are told. Liberals are smarter and better, so they will pick your president. Now shut up.

This is the crux of the left’s insufferable air of superiority and it is driving Trump’s supporters into his arms. A fair, sober dissection of Trump’s many flaws might have hurt him, but Big Media’s hysterical designation of him as Public Enemy No. 1 is helping him.

Some of his support is not coming despite media attacks, but because of them. The more the establishment tries to crush him, the stronger he grows.

The same phenomenon helps explain why Trump’s primary voters dumped Jeb Bush and other milquetoast Republicans. It is also why his core supporters reject Clinton, seeing her experience as proof that she would continue to tilt the political and economic systems against them.

Trump’s voters found a candidate they believe speaks for them and their vision of America, and they will not be intimidated by an establishment they don’t like and a media they don’t trust.

The blinkered elite can call it whatever they want — grievance, nullification, deplorable. But it is democracy, where all voters matter, and thank God it still lives in America.

http://nypost.com/2016/09/24/dont-co...rump-just-yet/
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Great article, Michael Goodwin! Thank you for writing it!

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

The Trump campaign had better get its ground game together. I keep contacting our state director, hoping he can move ideas up to the national campaign. Does anyone know how to contact the national HQ? I know that Sessions former aide (can't remember his name) has the general issues sorted out---but what's needed is electoral college strategy. That is where an experienced political machine comes in, and we know Hillary's got that. My suggestions:
    1. Recruit all those who come to the rallies to volunteer like there is no tomorrow. And there isn't if Hillary wins.
    2. Tell each person at the rally to think of at least two or three people they could persuade to vote for Trump.
    3. Get signs out along major traffic routes, manned with volunteers, ASAP. Don't think that people are just going to wake up before election day and have their minds settled. 4x8 signs with real people should be going out NOW!
    4. And rub shoulders with the "little people" who are getting uprooted by the globalist agenda. I know...I am kind of a snob, too. But being forced to get by on a strict budget I encounter people ALL THE TIME who are barely making it. This has always been gist for the Democrats---but should not be in this election! The lack of progress of blacks under Obama should tip everyone off that the Democrats are no longer looking out for the little guy. Don't dismiss them as Low Information Voters. A lot of them are struggling just to live month to month.
    5. Finally, we don't want a cliff hanger. These are a real pain in the rear. I have been involved locally for nearly ten years and in 2008 had to go out and "cure ballots." It's a real chore. We need to win big enough that that isn't a necessity.

So I hope in 2017 we can say to the globalist elites, the career politicos, the carpetbagging government employees and the creative nuisances, whether left or right:
    "Men of low degree are vanity, Men of high degree are a lie. " David
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Trump Campaign Headquarters: 646-736-1779

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/contact

EMAIL:

policy@donaldtrump.com

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/