Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

E. coli attorney, truckers on same side in food safety debat

http://www.landlinemag.com/todays_news/ ... 807-02.htm

What do E. coli attorney Bill Marler and the Owner-Operator Independent Drivers Association have in common in the ongoing debate over food safety?

After last September’s E.coli outbreak traced back to California bagged spinach, Marler and OOIDA both came to the same conclusion – that the federal food safety system must be overhauled to prevent future food-related outbreaks.

Marler is currently representing 93 consumers who were sickened or died after eating E.coli-contaminated bagged spinach, and OOIDA became involved in the debate after several of its members were left “holding the bagâ€

CNN said today that 80% of food recalled here is from China. Until six years ago I worked part time in commercial seafood here in assachusetts. I can tell you that the state is SO strict on shellfish, it drives some out of business. The clams from a contaminated area are taken to the state plant for cleaning, and then you can't pick them up in the same refer truck you brought them there in so there's no cross contamination. Yet, you can walk a few blocks from the fish pier in Boston to Chinatown, and buy stuff that will kill you if you lick your fingers by mistake while cooking it. Then again, you can see palates of swordfish sitting in the hot sun with rats running in and out of them, and seagulls sitting on the pile doing their thing. Ever since the day I went to get bait for my lobster traps and saw a guy tweezing live worms from the flesh of cod fillets, I have never eaten cod again. I guess my point is that we can't expect the government to coddle us as the liberals would like in every area. We all need to educate ourselves as to how to buy, handle, prepare, cook and eat food. Take responsibility for ourselves. Especially those of us who use hired assassins to kill our food for us because face it, you can't pull over on the interstate on the way home from the cubicle and snipe a turkey for dinner. I'm finding that the more I hunt, fish, and grow my own food, the safer I am. JMO