Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Email from Sinator Kennedy

Dear Mrs.:

Thank you for contacting me about immigration reform. This is a complex issue, with many important aspects, and it requires a comprehensive solution. 12 million undocumented workers are currently living in the United States. They’re working, paying taxes, and raising children who are U.S. citizens. They contribute to our economy, and it is time to bring them out of the shadows and end their unfair exploitation by unscrupulous employers in communities across the country.

Funds for border enforcement have increased dramatically over the years. The budget for the Border Patrol has increased from $263 million in 1990 to $1.6 billion today - a six-fold increase. Yet during this period, hundreds of thousands of undocumented immigrants have entered the U.S. each year. Our immigration system is broken, and it is clear that border enforcement alone will not fix it.

After long and thorough negotiations with the White House and fellow Senators, Republican and Democrat, we have developed a comprehensive immigration reform bill. The bill strengthens border security by increasing the number of border agents, building a border fence, using new technologies to monitor and enforce the border, and imposing higher penalties for workplaces that employ undocumented immigrants. The bill also contains a temporary worker program to help American businesses meet their employment. It addresses the millions of undocumented immigrants living in the United States by providing a means to obtain legal status after undergoing background checks, paying a fine, and going to the back of the line for greencards.

The bill is a realistic and comprehensive solution that will not only protect our borders, but also enable needed temporary workers to enter the country legally, and allow workers already here to earn legal status. It has already been discussed in the Senate once, and despite some setbacks, I hope we will be able to bring it back before the Senate for further debate and passage.

By heritage and history, America is a nation of immigrants, and we must preserve this tradition. Making necessary changes in our immigration laws will ensure that immigrant families today, as in the past, can continue to live the American dream and contribute to our prosperity, our security, and our values.

Again, thank you for writing to me about this important issue.

Sincerely,
    Edward M. Kennedy

BLAH BLAH BLAH
    He ain't heavy, he's my Brother
    Â*http://www.alsa.org/

Back locked, head straight ahead, ears closed. time for the man to leave. He is not supporting the people of Mass.

There really does need to be a concerted effort to get this man out of office. he has grown too powerful.

My sentiments exactly beckyal and chosen.

I'm originally from there and my relatives haven't voted for him and my Uncle has said he doesn't know how in the hell that bastard keeps getting re-elected.

Oh, I just heard the House of Representatives just gave themselves a $4,400 pay raise and they were questioning whether the Senate will do it.

Pretty cocky of themselves considering their ratings are extremely low. A lot of these morons need to go and we all need to stand strong in our next elections.

Kennedy's acknowledgement of defeat but his vow to push on for reform:

Dear Mr.:

Thank you for contacting me about immigration reform. This is a complex issue, with many important aspects, and it requires a comprehensive solution. 12 million undocumented workers are now living in the United States. They’re working, paying taxes, and raising children who are U.S. citizens if they are born here. They contribute to our economy, and it is time to bring them out of the shadows and end their unfair exploitation by unscrupulous employers in communities across the country.

Funds for border enforcement have increased dramatically over the years. The budget for the Border Patrol has increased from $263 million in 1990 to $1.6 billion today - a six-fold increase. Yet each year during this period, hundreds of thousands of immigrants have continued to enter the U.S. illegally. Our immigration laws are clearly broken, and stronger border enforcement alone will not fix them.

Long and thorough negotiations with the White House and fellow Senators, Republican and Democrat, led to the drafting of a comprehensive bipartisan immigration reform bill this year. It contained important provisions to strengthen border security, but it also contained needed provisions imposing higher penalties on businesses that employ undocumented immigrants, a temporary worker program to help American businesses meet their employment needs, and provisions to address the millions of undocumented immigrants living in the United States by allowing them to obtain legal status after undergoing background checks, paying a fine, and going to the back of the line for green cards. The bill was a realistic and comprehensive solution that would not only protect our borders, but also enable needed temporary workers to enter the country legally, and allow workers already here to become legal.

Unfortunately, this needed legislation has now stalled in the Senate, which is enormously disappointing for Congress and the country. But the battle is far from over. I’m in it for the long haul, and I’m certain that, in the end, we will prevail. Ignoring the problem will not solve it. We cannot afford to do nothing, especially in this post-9/11 era. By heritage and history, America is a nation of immigrants, and we must preserve this tradition. I will continue to fight to reform our immigration laws, so that our borders are secure and immigrant families can continue to live the American dream.

Sincerely,
    Edward M. Kennedy
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by zeezil
    Kennedy's acknowledgement of defeat but his vow to push on for reform:

Dear Mr.:

Thank you for contacting me about immigration reform. This is a complex issue, with many important aspects, and it requires a comprehensive solution. 12 million undocumented workers are now living in the United States. They’re working, paying taxes, and raising children who are U.S. citizens if they are born here. They contribute to our economy, and it is time to bring them out of the shadows and end their unfair exploitation by unscrupulous employers in communities across the country.

Funds for border enforcement have increased dramatically over the years. The budget for the Border Patrol has increased from $263 million in 1990 to $1.6 billion today - a six-fold increase. Yet each year during this period, hundreds of thousands of immigrants have continued to enter the U.S. illegally. Our immigration laws are clearly broken, and stronger border enforcement alone will not fix them.

Long and thorough negotiations with the White House and fellow Senators, Republican and Democrat, led to the drafting of a comprehensive bipartisan immigration reform bill this year. It contained important provisions to strengthen border security, but it also contained needed provisions imposing higher penalties on businesses that employ undocumented immigrants, a temporary worker program to help American businesses meet their employment needs, and provisions to address the millions of undocumented immigrants living in the United States by allowing them to obtain legal status after undergoing background checks, paying a fine, and going to the back of the line for green cards. The bill was a realistic and comprehensive solution that would not only protect our borders, but also enable needed temporary workers to enter the country legally, and allow workers already here to become legal.

Unfortunately, this needed legislation has now stalled in the Senate, which is enormously disappointing for Congress and the country. But the battle is far from over. I’m in it for the long haul, and I’m certain that, in the end, we will prevail. Ignoring the problem will not solve it. We cannot afford to do nothing, especially in this post-9/11 era. By heritage and history, America is a nation of immigrants, and we must preserve this tradition. I will continue to fight to reform our immigration laws, so that our borders are secure and immigrant families can continue to live the American dream.

Sincerely,
    Edward M. Kennedy
    I plan on prevailing and so do many Americans so they have one hell of a fight on their slimy little hands.

Dear Mrs. ,

Thank you for contacting me about illegal immigration. It is extremely important to me that I hear the opinions and concerns of Oklahomans, especially on such a pressing issue.

As you know, the Senate recently debated immigration reform legislation for the second time this year. The final comprehensive reform bill (S. 1639) failed to receive enough support to move to a vote for final passage. I was opposed to this bill and I am glad the legislation did not succeed. Please allow me to further explain my position.

The United States is a welcoming nation, built on the shoulders of immigrants, and we have benefited greatly from those who have come here to participate in the American Dream. I welcome those immigrants who follow our laws and enter legally to take advantage of the liberty and opportunity our nation offers. However, it is important to remember that liberty is dependent upon the rule of law. When our rule of law is undermined, the defining values of our nation are jeopardized. We cannot have a government that guarantees freedom, without a government that guarantees the rule of law.

Granting amnesty to more than 12 million illegal immigrants, without properly securing our borders and enforcing existing law, is a blatantly clear violation of our rule of law. This issue has nothing to do with being anti-immigrant; rather, it is about being pro-Constitution.

To truly solve the problem of illegal immigration, we must first secure our borders. No action is more crucial to protecting our nation and ensuring a long-term solution to the problem. Next, we must create a worker identification system that verifies the identity and legality of employees, and we must prosecute those businesses who refuse to comply. Then, we most focus on our visa entry and exit system. Of the 12 million estimated illegal immigrants currently in our nation, nearly 4.5 million are thought to be visa overstays. The U.S. government must gain precise knowledge of the visa-holders currently in our nation, and ensure that these individuals leave the country when their visas expire. Furthermore, we must have a flawless background screening process to ensure terrorists are unable to obtain visas in any capacity.

When the necessary measures above have been successfully completed, the United States will be prepared to deal with the illegal immigrants currently residing in our nation in a manner that is both compassionate and lawful. During debate, I offered an amendment to accomplish this goal. The amendment I offered would require that existing border security and immigration laws be fully enforced - and the enforcement be certified by Congress - before any provisions regarding the status of illegal immigrants could take effect. Unfortunately, my amendment was not agreed to, and in the end I could not support legislation that so blatantly ignored existing laws and statutes.

The problem of illegal immigration has not ended with the defeat of this comprehensive bill. In fact, the problem will continue to worsen until Congress and the federal government take the necessary steps to protect our border. I will work tirelessly to pass legislation giving the American people what they have long demanded: secure borders and enforcement of our laws. Then, and only then, can we move forward with a compassionate solution as a unified and secure nation.

Again, thank you for contacting me on this issue. Best wishes.

Sincerely, A

Tom Coburn, M.D.

United States Senator