Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

tms

Failed Protest Today at State Capitol

www.9news.com

PLEASE NOTE THERE WERE NOT THAT MANY PEOPLE MORE MEDIA NOTE EVEN 200 AS THE VIDEO SHOWS!] HEARD THEY WERE TALKING AND HOLDING SIGNS MORE ABOUT HIS STAND REDUCING ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION ETC.

DENVER - Nearly 200 people gathered at the state Capitol Monday to ask for the resignation of U.S. Rep. Tom Tancredo, (R-Colorado). Their general message was that he doesn't speak for all Coloradoans and that his views are extreme.

9NEWS Political Reporter Adam Schrager says people opposed to Congressman Tom Tancredo turned out today to say he does not speak for all Coloradoans. 4 p.m. July 25, 2005. WATCH THE VIDEO

9NEWS Political Reporter Adam Schrager has more on the Tancredo protest at the state capitol today. 5 p.m. July 25, 2005. WATCH THE VIDEO

9NEWS reporter Paul Johnson reports on plans to protest congressman Tom Tancredo and his recent remarks about bombing Muslim holy sites. 9NEWS at 10 p.m. July 24, 2005. WATCH THE VIDEO

Tancredo is being criticized for statements he made about attacking Muslim holy sites. While speaking to a Florida radio station, Tancredo said those types of attacks would be a possible response to a nuclear attack on the United States by Muslim terrorists.

"We just feel (they're) enough problems in this world without Tancredo making it worse," said protester Charlene Feely.

Tancredo has been criticized locally for years for his outspoken views on immigration reform. However, his recent remarks have drawn ire from the international community.

"I find it strange that such a comment comes from someone who represents a civilized people," Hamed al Adbullah, a Kuwaiti political science professor recently wrote about Tancredo.

The congressman says many of his comments have been taken out of context. He says attacking Muslim holy sites is not something he is advocating.

Although some find Tancredo's remarks offensive, others agree with him and appreciate his outspoken nature.

"Tancredo hit a nerve," Margaret Wilmott, wrote recently to the Denver Post. "Good for him. I prefer a first strike. Why wait?"

Denver Post columnist Diane Carman has heard from dozens who support the congressman since his recent remarks about responding to a hypothetical nuclear attack.

Local activist Manolo Gonzalez says he knows those sentiments are out there, but he believes they are the extreme minority. Gonzalez will be part of the protest against Tancredo and his remarks Monday.

"He can no longer embarrass us and speak for all of us," he said.

Tancredo is not bothered by the idea of a protest against him. He says anyone who disagrees with his views is free to protest at the State Capitol or to vote against him.

"I am comfortable with who I am and saying what I believe," Tancredo said. "I find it very difficult to play any other game."

He says since his remarks about attacking Muslim holy sites 75 percent of the calls to his office have been supportive.

However, the people who organized Monday's protest say Tancredo's views are not representative of Colorado or his district.

Several of Tancredo's reporters, carrying signs saying "Tancredo for President" showed up at the protest. Tancredo has said he might run for the Republican nomination in 2008 to put the illegal immigration issue in the spotlight. He also said he has no intention of apologizing for his comments made on the radio.

__________________________________________________ __________
    www.cbs4denver.com

Religious Groups Call On Tancredo To Resign
    By Steven K. Paulson, Associated Press Writer

Save It
    Email this Article Email It
    Print this Article Print It

(AP) DENVER Hispanic and Islamic groups called on Rep. Tom Tancredo to resign Monday, saying he has embarrassed Colorado by suggesting bombing Islamic holy sites if terrorists launch a nuclear attack on the U.S.

They also criticized the GOP congressman's staunch advocacy of tougher immigration controls.

"Enough is enough. We're here to say 'Stop,"' Hispanic activist Manolo Gonzalez-Estay told a crowd of about 200 at the state Capitol.

Abdur-Rahim Ali, imam of a Muslim shrine in northeast Denver, said Tancredo's statement that "you could take out" Islamic holy sites in a retaliatory attack was unacceptable.

"What would happen if a prominent Muslim made that statement about Catholic holy places like the Vatican?" Ali said.

One protester carried a sign saying "Nuke Mother Cabrini," a Catholic shrine near Denver.

Tancredo was traveling and unavailable for comment. His spokesman, Will Adams, said the four-term congressman has no intention of apologizing or resigning.

"They are a lot more upset about what he stands for, our nation's security and border policy, than anything else," Adams said.

Tancredo was asked on a radio talk show last week how the United States should respond if terrorists struck several of its cities with nuclear weapons.

"Well, what if you said something like -- if this happens in the United States, and we determine that it is the result of extremist, fundamentalist Muslims, you know, you could take out their holy sites," Tancredo answered.

When host Pat Campbell of WFLA-AM in Orlando, Fla., asked if he meant "bombing Mecca," the congressman responded: "Yeah."

Adrienne Benavidez, spokeswoman for a nonprofit legal and policy group opposed to Tancredo's immigration policies, said Tancredo does not represent Colorado values.

"Tancredo has been an embarrassment in our state and he's now becoming a national embarrassment," she said.

Leslie Hanks went to the rally with a sign supporting Tancredo for president.

"I'm very proud of him," Hanks said.

Tancredo has visited Iowa and New Hampshire to test the political waters and said he is finding a lot of support for his statements, but he said he only wants to make sure a tough immigration policy is part of the Republican Party's plank.

__________________________________________________ ___________

__________________________________________________ ___________
    "The defense of a nation begins at it's borders" Tancredo

Re: Failed Protest Today at State Capitol

"I find it strange that such a comment comes from someone who represents a civilized people," Hamed al Adbullah, a Kuwaiti political science professor recently wrote about Tancredo.
    Kuwaiti political science professor. Hmmm. So quickly they forget who their friends were, heh? BTW: What did Harned wrote about his Arab brothers when they killed 3000 Americans in the name of Mecca?

Local activist Manolo Gonzalez says he knows those sentiments are out there, but he believes they are the extreme minority. Gonzalez will be part of the protest against Tancredo and his remarks Monday.
    Hmmmm. I wonder if Activist Gonzalez protested the Arab brothers that killed 3000 Americans in the name of Mecca?

(AP) DENVER Hispanic and Islamic groups called on Rep. Tom Tancredo to resign Monday, saying he has embarrassed Colorado by suggesting bombing Islamic holy sites if terrorists launch a nuclear attack on the U.S.
    Hispanic and Islamic Groups....well now...isn't that just a coincidence? I wonder if they bumped into each at the market or the mosque and said, hey...lets protect Tancredo?

"Enough is enough. We're here to say 'Stop,"' Hispanic activist Manolo Gonzalez-Estay told a crowd of about 200 at the state Capitol.
    Enough of WHAT is enough? STOP WHAT? Maybe I ask the Hispanic "activist" Gonzalez? Are we bombing Mecca and I missed it? What is going on "activist" Gonzalez that you want stopped?

Abdur-Rahim Ali, imam of a Muslim shrine in northeast Denver, said Tancredo's statement that "you could take out" Islamic holy sites in a retaliatory attack was unacceptable.
    Hey Abdur-Rahim, if a Muslim nation, a Muslim in the name of a Muslim nation, a Muslim in the name of Mecca, Allah, 13 Virgins, Jihad, al-qaeda, or any other Muslim cause or named Muslim cause does one more thing to hurt an American or a friend of ours....I'd be the first one to ask our government to take them all out. I mean, to quote your Hispanic friend up there, "Enough is enough, I'm here to say STOP".

Hey Abdur...why don't you call your Muslim Terrorists brothers and tell them to resign; get out of Iraq; get out of Aghanistan; get out of the United States;get out of London; get out of Egypt; go to Mecca; learn the ways; and then get a job??

Adrienne Benavidez, spokeswoman for a nonprofit legal and policy group opposed to Tancredo's immigration policies, said Tancredo does not represent Colorado values.
    And, I'm sure another 501 C 3 nonprofit legal policy group does?

This is good. Real good. Showing their True Colors; revealing their alliances; abusing their 501 C 3 status....calling for a resignation of a US Congressman....501 C 3 "public charities" and "religious organizations" that are forbidden by federal law to influence policy and legislation are now wanting to change the Elected Representation of the American People? Oooooh, I don't think American Taxpayers want to be UNDERWRITING THIS TYPE OF THING, do you?

SHUT THEM DOWN....IRS...calling IRS...come in, come in, where are you? You have much work to do here!!

A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Now these groups will be happy to be rid of Tancredo. When he becomes president. I don't know about anyone else, but I'd be happy to have someone in the WH that tells it like it is! Haven't had one of those since Harry Truman.

I'm so tired of the lies and political shenanigans...waste of taxpayer funds...foreign aid..the list goes on. I don't have time to write it and you don't have time to read it.

Those protesters are really confused folks. Happy to see the Islamists and the Mexicans together. They deserve each other. Osama! Osama! Osama! They shout at their soccer games....now we know they mean it...they're not just trying to rattle our players.

RR
    The men who try to do something and fail are infinitely better than those who try to do nothing and succeed. " - Lloyd Jones

I think undercover ICE officials should be at every Tancredo campaign event. If I were in charge I would hook that up.

Then Tom could say, as they were being arrested, "It was better before they came."

Right On!!
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn