Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Banned

Funds could be holdup on immigration enforcement

Funds could be holdup on immigration enforcement

http://www.t-g.com/story/1281262.html
    Tuesday, October 2, 2007
    By Brian Mosely

While one of Bedford County's chief law officers says that the county "desperately" needs a federal database sharing program used to identify and deport illegal immigrants, getting it funded locally will be the biggest roadblock.
    The program in question is called 287(g), named after a section of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) passed in 1996, which permits the Department of Homeland Security [DHS] to enter into agreements with state and local law enforcement agencies to allow them full federal authority to enforce immigration laws.

Larry Lowman, the Sheriff Department's chief administrator, said Monday the department has notified federal officials in New Orleans they are interested in bringing the program to Bedford County and are waiting for a response to see when the local jail can be inspected by federal officials.

But the program will be a major expense for the county, requiring the hiring of at least four new officers, and more space in the jail than the county currently has available.

"I'm not so sure we have the funding for it. I'm not so sure we can do it," Lowman explained. "There are a lot of 'ifs' and the more I get into it, the more I feel I'm not so sure we can handle it."

A new booking area for suspected illegal immigrants would have to be set aside and the process to run them through the federal system takes two to four hours. Plus, not all immigrants encountered by law enforcement speak Spanish and finding an interpreter for other languages would take more time.

But while funding 287(g) may be a problem, it is something that Bedford County "desperately" needs, Lowman stated. He says every morning he reviews the jail intake from the previous day and sees charges like DUI, driving on a revoked license or without a license against the same groups of individuals.

"The problem is, these people that come here do not totally understand our laws. In their country, just because they drive with no driver's license, or if it is revoked, you don't have to do anything ... but you do here." As a result, the sheriff's department is seeing many repeat offenders.

Another example is that many Hispanics have four names, which is a family tradition. Looking back at police records, Lowman said a person will give a different name each time he or she is booked and they'll end up being charged with criminal impersonation, when it really wasn't the person's intent to do so.

But despite those cultural differences, Lowman said the program is needed due to the impact the illegal population is having on the county, especially the school system.

"As taxpayers, we have the burden of those kids who are here illegally. We have to pay for it."

Lowman stressed that if the program is enacted in the county, they will not be targeting Hispanics, but simply checking a person's legal status only if they are arrested. It would apply to any nationality.

"We're not out here to drive down the street and pick someone out and say 'I think that's an illegal alien...' We're only interested in the persons who break the law."

Lowman said the county was first introduced to the 287(g) concept by the University of Tennessee's County Technical Assistance Service since Bedford County has such a large illegal immigrant population. From there, the county began to research the program and went through the necessary federal channels in New Orleans.

Davidson County was offered the program about the same time and they were able to implement it since that county had more funds and resources to devote to 287(g). As it is now, Bedford County Jail is already overcrowded and presently has little space for parking, much less to make an addition for a new booking area.

If the county had the funding to implement the program, it would take an estimated six months to have it up and running. Lowman also could not give any estimate of how much having the 287(g) program would cost the county, saying there were too many variables involved.

Lowman said the federal process to participate in the program began months ago and the federal officials will examine the jail "to see if it is adaptable to the 287(g) program." All of the paperwork has been filed; the department is now waiting on the inspection.

Local officials have visited Nashville to observe how Davidson County is using the program.

"They are sort of the role model for us," Lowman explained.

"From the time they got their approval until now, there have been several modifications to the program," Lowman said. For example, the way the program was set up originally, if an illegal immigrant was picked up, the federal government had 48 hours to take that person into a holding facility.

Now, however, the offender has to serve time locally for the crime committed before being remanded into federal custody for deportation. Lowman added that they currently have an agreement with federal agents that if the county takes someone into custody that they know for a fact is in the country illegally, then the federal officials will deport him or her.

But if the 287(g) program was implemented, it would go a long way in keeping the repeat offenders from returning. "I don't think some would come back to Bedford County once they were deported," Lowman said. "I think they would go someplace else."

"If you look at the percentages that are going through our court system now, you'll see that we need this program bad."

We don't have money for a 700 mile fence either. We don't have money for ICE to enforce illegal immigration. We don't have money to put military on the border. We must be bankrupt from either taking care of Mexico or taking care of Iraq. Or, maybe we are bankrupt because of both.
    <div>''Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
    -- John Wayne</div>

Banned
    "I'm not so sure we have the funding for it. I'm not so sure we can do it," Lowman explained. "There are a lot of 'ifs' and the more I get into it, the more I feel I'm not so sure we can handle it."

You sure cant afford not to do it !