GOP lawmakers see dead body in the Rio Grande

By Jonathan Easley - 08/14/13 03:15 PM ET

Three Republican lawmakers saw the body of a Honduras man believed to be a victim of Mexican drug violence floating in the Rio Grande on Tuesday.

Reps. Leonard Lance (R-N.J.), Kevin Yoder (R-Kan.) and Mike McCaul (R-Texas) witnessed the scene while visiting the U.S.-Mexico border as part of an expedition to learn about border security.

“What impressed me in a tragic, negative way was seeing a dead body in the Rio Grande River,” Lance told The Randolph Reporter.
“Authorities told us it was probably related to drug trafficking.”

McCaul, the chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee, told The Associated Press his experience was representative of the “sad” state of border security.

“My colleagues and I saw firsthand the tragedies of this border and the loss of life when we saw a body floating just a few minutes ago on this river,” McCaul told the Associated Press. “And that is a sad fact of this border.”

McCaul is sponsoring border security legislation and has argued that increased border security measures should be met before lawmakers consider a path to citizenship for those in the country illegally.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...the-rio-grande