Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Grassroots Rally Team of Ohio says immigrants must follow la

By Cassandra Shofar
    CShofar@News-Herald.com

The recent deportation of an illegal immigrant in Painesville, OH has ruffled feathers across the spectrum of an often heated topic.

After living in the city for almost 10 years, Diego Maldonado was transported back to Leon, Mexico, Tuesday while a rally in his support was being held at the family's home in Painesville, led by Hispanas Organizadas de Lake y Ashtabula, which aims to help Hispanics in the area.

Those with a differing view on the situation are now weighing in.

"The eldest son, Juan, 18, said, ‘They say it is the land of the free, but sometimes it's not.' How could a young adult who has lived here much of his life be so misinformed? Indeed, this is the land of free legal citizens," said Claudia Leonard, a member of Grassroots Rally Team of Ohio.

The group consists of "highly motivated individual citizens who were finally roused to organize after the late May 2007 Hispanic Rally in Painesville so (their) side of the immigration issue would be heard."

Leonard said Juan's parents voluntarily made the ill-advised decision years ago to enter this country illegally.

"The parents alone are responsible for the woes suffered by all of the family members now, not the U.S. government, not we legal citizens, not the laws on the books intended to protect our borders," she said. "Ms. (Veronica) Dahlberg (executive director of HOLA) is mistaken when she personalizes this issue and says, ‘The government isn't angry with Canadian or other immigrants, only with Mexican immigrants.' This isn't an issue of anger at any demographic. It is about enforcing the laws we already have on the books. I am certain that Ms. Dahlberg and her HOLA organization with its various affiliates has resources at her disposal to help the family resettle in their homeland."

Like many other immigrant families, the Maldonados came to America in search of work and a better life for their children, which Diego's wife, Manuela, said they found.

"Life (in Leon) was very poor," she had said through a translator at the rally. "We couldn't give our kids what they needed there."

However, Grassroots Rally Team member Arzella Melnyk said people in general make the choice to obey or break the law.

"In this case, they chose to ignore our immigration laws, knowing if caught, they would be deported," she said. "I'm held accountable if I break the law, they need to be held accountable also. It's unfortunate that the groups/organizations that support illegal immigration never mention the cost to the citizens of our country."

She added, "It's always about tearing the family apart. People that are deported can take their family with them. Again, it's a choice they make."

U.S. Rep. Steven C. LaTourette, R-Bainbridge Township, agrees that immigration can be a sensitive subject.He also emphasized the importance of law.

"I continue to oppose amnesty because ours is a nation of laws," he said. "I'm a firm believer that we should secure our borders and enforce existing laws before moving forward with major reforms."

Julie Aldrich, also a member of the Grassroots Rally Team, said contrary to what illegal immigrant advocates want people to believe, the U.S. has the most lenient immigration laws in the world and has more immigrants coming into the country from Mexico legally than from any other country.

"The world population is now nearly 7 billion people. We cannot have an open door policy," she said.

"Continually I read from the illegal immigrant advocates that families will be torn apart with deportations.

"I fail to read how many families have been torn apart when a spouse or parent moves here illegally and leaves their families in their home countries. I fail to read why a family member would choose to be split up rather than have their families accompany them back to their home countries."

http://www.news-herald.com/articles/201 ... =fullstory

The "Grassroots Rally Team" is a counter point to the rally held in Painesville, OH. I urge you to use the links to the original articles and post comments of support, for "our side". Thank you.

Story: Rally held for Hispanic Painesville family

They say when it rains, it pours. Tuesday's incessant showers were indicative of the kind of month it had been for the Maldonado family and other members of Painesville's Hispanic community. After living in Painesville for almost 10 years, the patriarch of the family, Diego, was literally in the process of being transported back to Leon, Mexico, as a rally in his support was being held at his family's home.

For more of this story, click on or type the URL below:

http://www.news-herald.com/articles/201 ... 302660.txt

"The eldest son, Juan, 18, said, ‘They say it is the land of the free, but sometimes it's not.' How could a young adult who has lived here much of his life be so misinformed? Indeed, this is the land of free legal citizens," said Claudia Leonard, a member of Grassroots Rally Team of Ohio.
    I actually agree with Juan and Claudia. This is the land of the free for American citizens. Those sneaking across the border are criminals.

And the good wifey still speaks Spanish only after ten years here.
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)