Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Hundreds,Including Executives, Arrested in Immigration Raids

Minutemen: REAL American Heros!

Awesome News: Hundreds, including Executives, nabbed in immigration raid

Executives, workers arrested in nationwide move against pallet maker

Source:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12393925/

WASHINGTON - Immigration agents arrested seven executives and hundreds of employees of a manufacturer of crates and pallets Wednesday as part of a crackdown on employers of illegal workers.
    Authorities raided offices and plants of IFCO Systems in at least eight states, the culmination of a yearlong criminal investigation, law enforcement officials said.

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents arrested seven current and former IFCO Systems managers on charges they conspired to transport, harbor and encourage illegal workers to reside in the United States for commercial advantage and private financial gain, said Glenn T. Suddaby, the chief federal prosecutor in Albany, N.Y., where some arrests were made.

ICE spokeswoman Jamie Zuieback confirmed an unspecified number of raids and arrests but declined to provide additional details because the investigation was continuing. One official, speaking on condition of anonymity because numbers were still being tallied, said the arrests were in the hundreds.

Raids across the U.S.

Raids took place at several locations in upstate New York and in Biglerville, Pa.; Charlotte, N.C.; Cincinnati, Houston, Phoenix, Richmond, Va., and Westborough, Mass.

"ICE has no tolerance for corporate officers who harbor illegal aliens for their work force. Today's nationwide enforcement actions show how we will use all our investigative tools to bring these individuals to justice, no matter how large or small their company," said ICE chief Julie Myers.
    She and Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff are expected on Thursday to lay out an immigration enforcement strategy that targets employers' disregard for immigration law.

Last week, operators of three restaurants in Baltimore pleaded guilty to similar immigration charges, while nine people affiliated with two temporary employment agencies that do business in New Jersey, Ohio and Pennsylvania were charged in a $5.3 million scheme involving the employment and harboring of illegal aliens.

Several immigration proposals pending in Congress would stiffen penalties against employers who hire illegal immigrants.

Company based in Germany

German-based IFCO Systems describes itself as the leading pallet services company in the United States, focusing on recycling millions of the wooden platforms used to stack and move all manner of goods. It operates about five dozen facilities nationwide and has been expanding steadily, according to the company's Web site.

IFCO Systems did not immediately return calls seeking comment Wednesday.

The current and former IFCO Systems managers arrested were identified by Suddaby as: Michael Ames, 44, Shrewsbury, Mass.; Robert Belvin, 43, Clifton Park, N.Y.; Abelino Chicas, 40, Houston; Scott Dodge, 43, Albany; William Hoskins, 29, Cincinnati; James Rice, 36, Houston, and Dario Salzano, 36, Amsterdam, N.Y.

Last year, Wal-Mart stores agreed to pay $11 million to settle allegations concerning the employment and mistreatment of illegal immigrants.

Wal-Mart has maintained that top executives did not know that cleaning contractors were hiring illegal immigrants, who sometimes slept in the backs of stores. An ICE affidavit unsealed as part of that case, however, asserted that two executives were aware of the practice.

I hope the US Chamber of Commerce chokes on this news! I also hope this isn't some appeasement ploy to soften us. I will not buy it until I see a lot more proof!

Maybe they will get the message and stop being so blatant about their demands. I hope they are shaking in their boots and get outta Dodge!

I am not a gambler, but I would bet this is just that a ploy.

It is designed to make it seem like the government is doing something.

Dollars to donuts, these executives aren't on anyone's major contributor's list. They didn't pony up so they are fair game to be used as a photo-op.

Every American should be incensed that the government would think the American people are that stupid.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I wonder

I always read something and wonder. My thought that ICE may have know about these guys for a while, but may have waited because they faced being heavily criticized for rounding up executives... Maybe they were waiting for that strong witness to come forward. Or, go to all this trouble only to go before a judge that will just let them off. The offence, may be within a pro-illegal judge‘s jurisdiction so it would have been worthless to go after them. Can’t be tried twice for the same crime (double jeopardy) so they waited. I doubt there is a judge around right now, thinking I'm going to turn them loose, considering the way people are feeling about illegals. It may have been more political timing. Also, eyes across the nation are watching the case now.

Also, I'm sure tips are rolling in like wildfire right now. People that have been holding back and not previously reporting illegal immigrants are now turning them in. For instants, fellow Mexican Americans that are now threatened, by their presence in this country. People that just looked the other way and said they aren’t doing any harm. However, the recent illegal protest have moved them to report them.

The timing is right, to get prosecutions/deportations because the nation is watching. We want them out and ICE/Border Patrol...are feeling their efforts are appreciated for a change, instead of the constant complaints about not doing enough. This is a season of change for immigration enforcement officials. They will be funded, they will be more effective, they will feel a reward for their efforts and I bet, eager to do the job they have had to hold back the reigns on. They have been turned loose to get it done. I'm so glad.

Dixie

Dixie[/i]
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Also, I'm sure tips are rolling in like wildfire right now. People that have been holding back and not previously reporting illegal immigrants are now turning them in.
    The timing is right, to get prosecutions/deportations because the nation is watching.
    I think both of these are factors are probably right. They had a raid in Miami last week. I thought it was all for show and didn't give them any credit, but hearing this makes that one seem a little bit more important.
    WHOEVER made this happen, please don't stop now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think that this has been done to put paid to our complaints that no deportations or arrests have been made in YEARS...so they'll do a high profile one...and nothing else.

MJ

Don't worry, MJ, we know better than to take it too seriously. We would have to see a LOT more of an OBVIOUS effort to take it as really being indicative of anything serious.

This is excellent news. If we keep reporting companies who hire illegals, we will hopefully continue to see more busts. The cool part is that they won't have to bust every single company. Many will pay attention to what is going on and discontinue their illegal activities before they get caught.

This is my first post but I've been reading for a long time now. Here is a link to the only news station I somewhat trust in Houston about the raids.
    I hope it works. The place on Flintrock in Houston is less than 1 mile from my home.
    http://www.khou.com/topstories/stories/ ... 402c6.html
    To stand in silence when they should be protesting makes cowards out of men. Abraham Lincoln

IL: "The Most Corrupt State in The Country outside of Mexico"
    This is just an election year scam by Jorge Bush. Don't buy into. He hasn't done a dame thing for last 6 years.
    "IMPEACH JORGE BUSH NOW!!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast