I am looking for a few letters that I can send my senators and Rep about supporting this bill.

Hyde Bill Seeks to Curb Illegal Alien Voting Fraud
By Jimmy Moore, 6/30/2004 8:11:53 AM

WASHINGTON (Talon News) -- Rep. Henry Hyde (R-IL) has introduced a bill into the U.S. House of Representatives that would help curb voting fraud by requiring voters to provide photo identification when voting in federal elections.

"The Federal Election Integrity Act of 2004," or H.R. 4530, would specifically amend the National Voter Registration Act of 1993, also known as the Motor Voter law, to require any individual who desires to register or re-register to vote in an election for federal office to provide the state election official with proof of citizenship to prevent illegal aliens from voting in federal elections.

Forms of identification that can be used include a U.S. birth certificate, a naturalization card, or a U.S. passport. Supporters of the Hyde bill are hoping it will pass so it will become law before the November elections.

Defending his legislation, Hyde said this issue is about ensuring that the only people voting in federal elections are legal citizens of the United States.

"The U.S. Constitution clearly states that only U.S. citizens may vote in federal elections," Hyde commented at a press conference. "My bill would amend the 1993 Motor Voter bill to require states to demand proof of citizenship when a person applies for voter registration, even if they have previously been on the voter rolls at another location. There will be no exceptions. My bill also would require photo I.D. to be presented when registering to vote or voting at the polls."

Proponents of the Hyde bill say the Moter Voter law, which was heralded by former President Bill Clinton as one of the crowning achievements of his administration, has made it too easy for non-citizens to be registered to vote illegally. Some states with large populations of illegal aliens, such as Illinois and California, are registering them to vote because they are not required to show proof of citizenship.

However, the Hyde bill would mandate that states see proof of citizenship when registering people to vote, including inspecting and verifying all documents that prove the individual is a U.S. citizen.

In fact, this law would even apply to those states that allow people to register at the polls as well as states that do not require voter registration. The Hyde bill would require a photo identification to be shown prior to voting in a federal election.

"The Federal Election Integrity Act of 2004" has 6 co-sponsors, including Rep. Steve Buyer (R-IN), Rep. Phil English (R-PA), Rep. Elton Gallegly (R-CA), Rep. Virgil Goode (R-VA), Rep. Sam Johnson (R-TX), and Rep. Tom Tancredo (R-CO) and is currently under consideration by the House Administration Committee.

Copyright © 2004 Talon News -- All rights reserved.

Government Watch...

Email To a Friend
Printable version of this story... Hawaii's On