Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: ID law could impact 10 percent of Pennsylvania voters

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

ID law could impact 10 percent of Pennsylvania voters

ID law could impact 10 percent of Pennsylvania voters

By Dave Boyer
    The Washington Times
    Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Nearly 10 percent of Pennsylvania’s registered voters do not have photo identification cards from the state transportation department and could be ineligible to vote in November under the state’s new Republican-backed voter ID law.

The Pennsylvania Department of State reported Tuesday that more than 758,000 registered voters lack a standard driver’s license or a non-driver photo ID. That’s 9.2 percent of the state’s 8.2 million voters.

In Philadelphia, where Democrats outnumber Republicans by about 6-1, 18 percent of the city’s registered voters do not have the state photo ID, the Philadelphia Inquirer reported.

The data could have implications in the presidential race, in which presumptive GOP nominee Mitt Romney has been trailing President Obama in Pennsylvania by an average of 8 percentage points.

To win the state, Democratic candidates traditionally must pile up big margins of victory in Philadelphia to offset Republican vote totals elsewhere in the state.

The president will campaign in western Pennsylvania Friday on the second day of a two-day bus tour that begins in Ohio. Mr. Obama won Pennsylvania in 2008 by about 10 percentage points over Sen. John McCain, Arizona Republican.

Under the state’s new voter ID law, other forms of photo identification will be accepted at polling places, including U.S. passports, military ID cards and student identification cards with expiration dates. The Republican-led legislature approved the measure in March, and Republican Gov. Tom Corbett signed it into law.

At a meeting of the Republican State Committee in June, House Majority Leader Mike Turzai, Allegheny County Republican, predicted the new law “is going to allow Governor Romney to win the state of Pennsylvania.”

Opponents of the law are challenging it in state court; a hearing is scheduled for July 25.

This year, 32 states introduced voter ID legislation, either new proposals or amendments to strengthen existing laws.

Measures are still pending in Delaware, Illinois, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina and Ohio, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures. A voter ID proposal failed in Maryland; Virginia enacted a measure that allows voters to use a concealed-handgun permit as an acceptable form of identification.

Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder, a Republican, on Tuesday vetoed voter ID bills that supporters called an effort to crack down on voter fraud. Opponents said the legislation was an attempt to disenfranchise minority voters.

Mr. Snyder rejected measures sponsored by GOP legislators that would have required voters to prove U.S. citizenship in order to receive a ballot and to show a[EnSpace]photo ID to obtain an absentee ballot.

ID law could impact 10 percent of Pennsylvania voters - Washington Times
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

It seems to me that they need to get down there and get and id. they have until November.

Nearly 10 percent of Pennsylvania’s registered voters do not have photo identification cards from the state transportation department and could be ineligible to vote in November under the state’s new Republican-backed voter ID law.
    Nothing like trying to villify Republicans! What they also fail to mention is that most voters approve this action. And I'd give you 100-1 odds that if it were put to a vote by "we the people" it would pass with flying colors.

In this day and age what American can get by without an ID? I mean really, who can get by without one? To cash a check you need ID, to go to the doctor's office you need an ID... hell to make a deposit into your own account you need an ID! I've been banking at the same place in NC since I was 16, they all know me but I still have to present ID!

I think the big stink is that it's going to weed out the Democraps beloved illegal invaders!

I suspect that 10% of the population is either too lazy to go get an id or is illegal and can't vote anyway.
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

So how do these people plan on collecting Social Security? No one seems to think that is a problem. How do these people think they will get Medicare benefits? No one thinks that is a problem. In fact most government services require some form of identification. If voters are too lazy or too stupid to figure out how to get a voter ID that the states require they should not be voting anyway. Every program I have heard of has alternatives for those without drivers licenses. Usually they can apply for a form of absentte ballot or fill out some form of conditional ballot that enables them to vote and enables the state to verify their eligibility. Opposition to voter ID to me is an open admission that Obama and Holder know full well there is voter fraud and the fraud favors them.
    "We have met the enemy, and they is us." - POGO

Ignorance may be skin deep but stupidity goes to the bone! This idea that voter ID is somehow discriminatory is ludicrous on it's face. If this is discriminatory, then everything else in this country that requires ID is discriminatory. How 'bout them apples you brainless nitwits!
    ...I call on you in the name of Liberty, of patriotism & everything dear to the American character, to come to our aid...

William Barret Travis
    Letter From The Alamo Feb 24, 1836

NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Pennsylvania's strict voter ID law faces ACLU lawsuit

The law could stop hundreds of thousands of voters, many of them minorities, from casting ballots despite their efforts to obtain an ID. The outcome may affect the presidential election.

By David G. Savage, Washington Bureau
    July 18, 2012, 5:00 a.m.

PHILADELPHIA — At age 93, Viviette Applewhite proudly lives on her own in a high-rise apartment just a few blocks from where she was born. A widow, she has never driven a car, but she has had many jobs, including work as a welder during World War II. She marched withMartin Luther King Jr. in Georgia.

She cast her first vote for PresidentFranklin D. Roosevelt. On election day four years ago, Applewhite went across the street to vote. "I was waiting there when they opened the door," she said. "I didn't vote for [Barack] Obamabecause he was black. I voted for him because he was a Democrat."

But her record of faithfully voting for Democrats will be more difficult to maintain, thanks to a strict voter identification law adopted this year by Pennsylvania's Republican-controlled Legislature. Now she is the lead plaintiff in a lawsuit filed by the American Civil Liberties Union challenging the new law.

Applewhite is among more than 186,000 registered voters who lack a valid driver's license in this heavily Democratic city. Many of them are minorities. And to vote in Pennsylvania in November, they will need to produce a government-issued ID or driver's license.

That could have national implications. Obama almost certainly needs to win in Pennsylvania to be reelected, and political analysts say the Democrat cannot win the state without piling up large margins in Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, the two cities where the new voter ID rule would hit the hardest.

In March, Pennsylvania became the ninth state to require voters to show a particular photo identification card. Similar new laws in Texas, South Carolina and Wisconsin have been blocked by the Justice Department or by state judges.

Next week, lawyers for Applewhite and nine other longtime voters will ask a state judge in Harrisburg to halt the photo ID law as a denial of the fundamental right to vote. The outcome of the lawsuit could affect not just the voting rights of several hundred thousand Pennsylvanians but also who wins the presidential election.

When the voter ID bill was being debated, state officials assured Pennsylvania legislators that its impact would be minimal. Only 1% of its voters — or about 89,000 people — did not have the required ID, they said.

The new law says a proper ID card must be issued by the government or a nursing home, and it must contain a name, photo and expiration date. Those who do not have such a card and have not driven before must go to a state driver's license office and present four forms of identification, such as a birth certificate and Social Security card.

On July 3, state officials sent out a news release to "confirm the vast majority of registered voters have the identification that can be used for voting." But its own analysis of state driving records revealed that 9% of those on its voting rolls — 758,939 in all — could not be found in the state Department of Transportation database. In Philadelphia alone, about 18% did not have the proper identification, according to this analysis.

"If the election were held today, we would have more than 100,000 of our voters who could not vote," said Stephanie Singer, chairwoman of Philadelphia's elections commission. "It's a cynical attempt by the Republican leadership to steal the election. And absolutely it could sway the outcome."

That view of the law's importance is not unique to Democrats. Last month, state House Republican leader Mike Turzai, who represents the north suburbs of Pittsburgh, ticked off this year's accomplishments before a meeting of state Republicans. "Voter ID, which is going to allow Gov. Romney to win the state of Pennsylvania: Done," he said.

"His message was that only citizens and registered voters should be allowed to vote," said Stephen Miskin, a spokesman for Turzai. "For the first time in a long time, this [law] means there will be a relatively level playing field because election fraud in Pennsylvania will be curtailed."

Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Corbett, a Republican, said the July 3 report did not mean 758,000 voters lacked the proper identification. Some of them may have moved or died, or they may have other acceptable identification such as a U.S. passport or a military identification card, he said.

"I encourage people of Pennsylvania who do not have a photo ID for voter ID to go get one. And we're trying to make it as easy as we can," he told The Times. "There's a huge voter education effort going on."

To obtain a voter ID, most Pennsylvanians will need to visit an office of the state Department of Transportation — sometimes more than once. The requirement for a card with an expiration date has tripped up many, including municipal employees, state college students and veterans, whose photo ID cards usually do not have expiration dates.

Corbett said many of the state's universities were updating their ID cards to comply with the law. Nursing homes and assisted-living centers are authorized to make photo ID cards for their residents, he said.

City election officials, however, are not authorized to do the same. "We would love to go through the neighborhoods with a mobile van and a camera and help registered voters get a valid ID. But we are not authorized to issue IDs," Singer said. "We have to tell people to go to Penn DOT."

Wilola Lee, a 60-year-old former school employee, has made three unsuccessful trips to the Department of Transportation. She has a small pile of identification cards, including a voter registration card and her former school ID, which is now outdated. She was told she needed to show her birth certificate, but since she was born at home in rural Georgia, she was unable to obtain one.

Frustrated, she joined the lawsuit. "I have voted my entire life. Never missed. And I'm really upset they are trying to stop me from voting this time," she said.

Applewhite also has a thick wad of identification cards, including from Medicare and her bank and a voter registration card. She has a city transit pass with her photo, but it is not deemed acceptable under the law. After many inquiries, she obtained a copy of her birth certificate through the mail.

But she was then told she had a problem because her name on the birth certificate did not match her married name on her other ID cards.

"I never had a problem with voting before this. If they wanted my Social Security number, I know it by heart," she said. She says she is determined to obtain the proper identification, no matter how many times she must travel by bus to the Department of Transportation.

"A lot of people in this building don't have the right ID, and they have given up. I see them in the elevator and I tell them, 'You've got to keep trying,' " she said.

david.savage@latimes.com

Pennsylvania's strict voter ID law faces ACLU lawsuit - latimes.com
    NO AMNESTY

NO AMNESTY

So at 93 how does she cash her SS check? How does she visit her Doctors w/o an ID? God forbid what if she needed to go to the ER? The ONLY people that never need an ID at the ER are illegals!

Now she is the lead plaintiff in a lawsuit filed by the American Civil Liberties Union challenging the new law.
    The ONLY reason she is the lead plaintiff is that there will be NO doubt she is truly a LEGAL citizen. She is going to be the "face" for this lawsuit but we ALL know who the AACLU ( Anti-American) really are representing!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast