Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

ILLEGAL WORKER-FREE proposal in Columbia County, Oregon

It's a start, folks!!! Way to take the initiative!!!!!

I tried to contact the gentleman listed as the one who initiated the proposal and offer any assistance I could, but the phone number I found just got me a modem chirp at the other end.

I would like to share that 287(g) is available to his local law enforcement to make use of as well as it sounds like nobody there really seems to fully understand whether or not they can even pursue such a challenge.

I don't live in that county, and we really REALLY need Washington and Multnomah counties to join in this, though we have a really crummy do-nothing illegal-sympathizing mayor in Portland, Tom "Love those Illegals" Potter. (don't get me started...)

Anyhow, wanted to share this news article I came across with you all. Hope for Oregon yet!!

http://www.katu.com/news/8597962.html

COLUMBIA COUNTY, Ore. - The massive new 40-foot by 18-foot flag in front of the Columbia County Courthouse, along with smaller flags on nearby homes, boats, and cars, shows how deeply some locals are dedicated to law and order.

One local resident, Wayne Mayo, says what is happening in Columbia County and across the United States hardly reflects American ideals when it comes to illegal immigration.

We don't mind Hispanic workers, we don't mind Guatemalan workers, we don't mind Thailand workers if they're here legally, if they've gone through the proper channels, if they have done the paperwork," Mayo said."If that's been the case, you're free to work here, you're free to live here. But if you're here without documentation, no."

Mayo's proposal would declare Columbia County "illegal worker free."

He suggests posting 4-foot by 8-foot signs with that declaration county-wide.

Under the ordinance, contractors caught hiring illegal or undocumented workers would face penalties including a $15,000 fine for every house built using illegal workers.

The proposal mandates extra money for the sheriff's department to enforce any ordinance dealing with illegal residents and workers.

Any construction project that cannot prove all workers are in the U.S. legally would get a stop-work order.

Opponents call the idea misguided.

"I do not think any community is better off when we're selecting out people and saying 'you're the problem." Marcy Westerling said. "I think we have a global issue with immigration, and let's resolve that."

The Columbia County commission is not even sure it has the power to consider such an ordinance.

"Even if we were able to do something like this, which we don't know yet if we were, I'm not sure how much of an impact it would have on folks at the federal level," Rita Bernhard said.

Wayne Mayo says he also wants to pursue the same ordinance in the city of St. Helens.

Across the nation, similar ordinances are under consideration in other small communities.

"I do not think any community is better off when we're selecting out people and saying 'you're the problem." Marcy Westerling said. "I think we have a global issue with immigration, and let's resolve that."

These people just don't have anything to say that makes sense.

They can't solve their local problem of a few in their county - so they will make it global - that way they can solve it - right????

Also, don't we select drug dealers, prostitutes, robbers, muggers, drivers drivers, and deem them a problem? Since all these things happen on a global basis, maybe he should just make it a 'global problem' also?

Sometimes I wonder if they ever listen to what they say or if they are just spouting LaRaza talking points.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by nntrixie

These people just don't have anything to say that makes sense.

They can't solve their local problem of a few in their county - so they will make it global - that way they can solve it - right????

Even though their rant boils down to "Let's blame America for everything" there may be a salvageable point of view here. These people attribute many global ills, especially in Latin America, to NAFTA. As NAFTA gives way to the SPP and NAU there may be some meeting ground here. Tricky, embattled--but a meeeting point.
    "Men of low degree are vanity, Men of high degree are a lie. " David
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)