Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Immigration Policy - Move To The Left Coming

Historically speaking republicans move to the right and democrats move to the left to seek the nomination.

After candidates get the nomination, they swing to the middle. The country tends to be more moderate than conservative or liberal. So, they try to reach across the table. To be elected, they need votes from beyond their solid base.

I don't see democrats anticipating that they'll have to lean very far. They've deluded themselves into believing that stopping illegal immigration isn't very important to democrats. Or, they have a feeling for many Americans, health care is going to rule the day. And, that their party will tolerate just about anything if they can get decent health care for free or at an affordable price.

As for republicans, and it's seems fairly obvious I'll be supporting a republican, I'm beginning to wonder what the republican candidate is going to water down in an attempt to get to the white house.

Huckabee would be a frightening prospect under that scenario. Huckabee is already so moderate on topics like immigration, his temporarily tough stance could easily fade as he markets his brand of compassionate conservatism.

But, what about the other candidates? Both he and Romney (Guiliani & McCain aren't even worth mentioning) have already suggested mass deportations are impractical. Is that the beginning of an olive branch. They both say, illegal immigrants have to go home to apply for citizenship. But, the water gets a bit muddy after that.

Romney has taken a much tougher stance lately and definitely seems more aggressive than Huckabee at the moment. But, I still would prefer a "true believer" in Legal Immigration.

Question: Can a true believer (with our current crop of violin string pulling voting Americans) be elected?

If yes, clearly no problems. If no (scary thought), is there any democrat that we would cry "less" under.

Another poster mentioned that Democrats may be looking at a win/win if McCain gets the nomination. We know what will happen with illegal immigration.

What's our win/win?

I don't know - but I don't see Huckabee as 'moderate' on immigration. He is about as moderate on the subject as our very own President.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by nntrixie
    I don't know - but I don't see Huckabee as 'moderate' on immigration. He is about as moderate on the subject as our very own President.
    100% agree..
    "Democrats Fall in Love, Republicans Fall in Line!"

Ex-El Presidente' www.jorgeboosh.com

Our win/win will be if the Democrat base is split by the immigration issue. They hate illegal employers and the fact that illegals bring down wages. Democrat candidates try to diferentiate amnesty and illegal immigration control. But they are one in the same.

If the illegal supporters march again in our streets, this will help our side tremendously. Most of them will surely be waving Pro-Hillary or Pro-Obama signs, which will enfuriate other Dems and independants.
    Lets hope they are dumb enough to do this.

Good Point

Good point on Huckabee. The only reason I was willing to call him moderate is because he's suggesting now (since he knows he has too) that he will secure the border and doesn't support amnesty (a lie - I know).

Democrats make no pretense of the matter. They want the borders open, and amnesty is not only not a bad thing to them - in their minds its the only reasonable thing.

So, there does seem to be a difference between him and democrats, albeit slim and possibly even phony.

Sounds like a winner

Quote Originally Posted by LawEnforcer
    Our win/win will be if the Democrat base is split by the immigration issue. They hate illegal employers and the fact that illegals bring down wages. Democrat candidates try to diferentiate amnesty and illegal immigration control. But they are one in the same.

If the illegal supporters march again in our streets, this will help our side tremendously. Most of them will surely be waving Pro-Hillary or Pro-Obama signs, which will enfuriate other Dems and independants.
    Lets hope they are dumb enough to do this.
    That sounds like a winner. They do hate illegal employers. Well, some of them. If they all hated illegal employers, we wouldn't be having these problems.

So, there does seem to be a difference between him and democrats, albeit slim and possibly even phony.

Yes, phony, that's what I meant.

Only the rhetoric is different right now, and that really means no difference - at least to me.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

True

Yes, phony, that's what I meant.

Only the rhetoric is different right now, and that really means no difference - at least to me.
    So, true. Good point. Very good point.