Immigration reform or amnesty?

June 10, 2011 Friday
FINAL Edition
Op-Ed; LETTERS TO THE EDITOR; Pg. A15
832 words
Immigration reform or amnesty?

Once again, the editorial writers at The Chronicle have exhibited their lack of fairness on the issue of illegal immigration by referring to a group that is against illegal immigration as "anti-immigrant" "Small steps," Editorial, June 8 That is both unfair and inaccurate and is uncalled for.

The Chronicle also believes that actually enforcing our immigration laws is "impractical and unwise." How so? Most Americans think that failing to enforce our borders and immigration laws is unwise and negative for the country. Comprehensive immigration reform is simply code for the surrender of yet another "one time" amnesty. Obviously, that is what The

Would it be too simplistic to suggest that children brought to this country illegally by their parents when they were too young to agree or disagree be given the opportunity to become U.S. citizens?

Why haven't they applied for citizenship? Because they would have to admit to being illegal and they and their family would be deported. They are probably totally Americanized. They should be given the opportunity to get an education.

We need these enthusiastic young people and we need their parents if they have been law-abiding "citizens" supportive of this country. Let's be real. Times change.

We're deporting a legal spouse?

After reading "His husband is citizen, but man may be deported" on the front page June 4, I am completely baffled.

Let me get this straight:

People can come here illegally, work for cash, not pay taxes, perhaps join gangs and commit crimes, and we offer them sanctuary or do not report them to Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

However, Anthony John Makk is a citizen of Australia, here on a visa that expires on June 13, has spent most of the past 19 years living in San Francisco, contributing to our economy, but because he is in a same-sex marriage, he faces deportation.

His husband, Bradford Wells, has severe health problems, and Anthony has been his sole caretaker.

Should Anthony be deported, as planned? Will the city of San Francisco take over and pay for Bradford's care?

I'm sorry, I just don't understand what's going on here.

However, the featured young man's success is due to his stable and nurturing family who supported him in the face of serious challenges. His family provided exactly what our foster children lack.

The hundreds of foster children who have passed through my court have been traumatized by their parental neglect/abuse and re-traumatized by the instability in their multiple placements in foster care.

What helped our young man navigate through his problems, that is, his family, is missing in the lives of our foster children.

Ellen Chaitin, Superior Court judge, San Francisco

http://www6.lexisnexis.com/publisher/En ... 56&start=4