Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Immigration Scorecard of the 2008 Pres. Candidates

Immigration Scorecard of the Presidential candidates for 2008

Although U.S. Border Control has been officially rating Congressional candidates on their immigration
    votes since 1995, we have seldom offered our opinions on Presidential candidates.

However, with so much at stake, and, with the urgings of so many people who have come to rely on our
    Scorecards for the candidates, we intend to offer some guidance on the Presidential candidates with
    respect to their positions on border and immigration policy.

Disclaimer: U.S. Border Control, as a 501(c)(4) nonprofit lobbying group, cannot and does not endorse
    or oppose candidates for public office. The information we provide is intended to be used as a guide for
    people interested in knowing where candidates stand on border and immigration issues. Our ratings do
    not evaluate a candidate’s positions on all the other issues and we strongly recommend further research
    so that you may make an informed decision when you go to the polls.

Methodology: Our ratings deal in facts and historical data. They completely ignore a candidate’s
    campaign rhetoric as history has proven such promises mean nothing to politicians.

Whenever possible, we rely on those recorded votes that we have determined to be the critical vote in
    the legislative process. Often, this vote may not be the final vote, but a procedural vote or cloture
    motion. In order to ensure that we have chosen the most appropriate votes for our Scorecard, we use a
    double-blind study asking experts on both sides of the issue which vote was the turning point for the
    legislation.

Finally, a candidate’s score can be raised or lowered by the number of sponsorships and cosponsorships
    of bills that we determine to be for or against immigration reform. Sponsorship of immigration
    legislation and the candidate’s efforts to move the legislation are weighted as these actions are important
    indications of a candidate’s willingness to take a public position on the issue.

All that being said, our ratings are imperfect due to the fact that, in some cases, there is simply
    insufficient data to make a definitive decision. In those instances, we put an asterisk (*) next to the
    score so you will know this is a rating made on insufficient or unreliable data.

It bears mentioning that we are nonpartisan. Frankly, we would love to see more Democrats taking
    positions against amnesty; closing the border; or voting against anchor babies; etc…. We feel that core
    Democrat issues that are being totally ignored while that party, like the Republicans, pander after the
    immigrant vote.

Our ratings criteria failed ALL the Democratic candidates for President of the United States. Every one
    of them has earned an “Fâ€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Gilchrist

So, what did Mike promise Jim for his endorsement?

Banned
    Thats pretty much how I had them scored

Romney may go up to a B if doesn't waste a lot of
    time clearing up his position on illegals

Clearing up position

Quote Originally Posted by usanevada

Are we afraid he'll start sounding like Huckabee with a touch back provision? I need to be more familiar with Romney's position. Let me do some more research.

Banned

Re: Clearing up position

Quote Originally Posted by ymeoru

Are we afraid he'll start sounding like Huckabee with a touch back provision? I need to be more familiar with Romney's position. Let me do some more research.
    By all means do the research , I won't comment on his record on this thread but compare what they are promising and what they have done in the past

Romney still does have a few things he needs to clear up for some of us though

I want to see him as an A and I think that we should not back down one bit on that.
    <div>''Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
    -- John Wayne</div>

No way that Ron Paul has an A-
    Somebody needs to do more work

Hi zeezil,

I pretty much agree with this.

Thanks

Redlander
    "Calling illegal aliens 'undocumented immigrants' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist' ...Greg Lease

Quote Originally Posted by Once_A_Democrat
    No way that Ron Paul has an A-
    Somebody needs to do more work
    I think Hunter is the one...He has my vote in the primary.

Also, I recall some namby-pamby remarks that Ron Paul made on immigration that drove me from him.

Regards,

Redlander
    "Calling illegal aliens 'undocumented immigrants' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist' ...Greg Lease

This scorecard from Border Patrol is a LOT different than the one provided by Numbersusa!!

I wonder if they have an email address, I would like to send them some information.
    "We call things racism just to get attention. We reduce complicated problems to racism, not because it is racism, but because it works." --- Alfredo Gutierrez, political consultant.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast