Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Indians from India: Suddenly they all over?

Is it just me, or do we suddenly have Indians from India all over the place?

At first, I saw them as mostly in the professional fields like doctors, but now I see all over the place as gas station and hotel owners.

For instance, I was surprised to learn that Atlanta has a very large Indian from India, and they are an influential business group in India.

Does anyone know how this influx of Indians from India suddenly happen?

I thought about this sudden Indians from India invasion when I saw that a young boy of India background won the spelling bee.

And as I recall, he is not the first person of India background who has won the spelling bee, but I could be wrong.

Let's see, we OUTSOURCE jobs to India, but we import people from India.
    Is it me, or is something wrong with this jobs for people exchange?

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    it's not just that, we are a dirt broke country ... any person with 500,000 or more can get the fast track for citizenship.... any decent currency is double the worth of the dollar so they basically can come in with 200,000 - 250,000
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Recently, I looked up the official figure, and if I recall correctly there are approximately 1.6 million Indian immigrants in the United States. The vast majority are here legally. The arrive here already knowing the English language, because English is the second language of their country. Nothing to get upset about here.

L.A. is looking like Tijuana meets Calcutta...we are swimming in Indians! The Indians are taking the high skilled jobs, and the illegals are taking everything else.

Illegal immigrants from India rise alarmingly in US: Report

February 19, 2008 16:02 IST

India may have taken giant strides in every possible sphere of life across the world, but there are things that come as real blot to its global image.

Quoting a US Department of Homeland Security report, mercurynews reports that Indians are the fastest-growing group of illegal immigrants in the United States.
    The report says there are 2,70,000 unauthorized Indians in the United States - a 125 percent jump since 2000, the largest percentage increase of any nation with more than 100,000 illegal immigrants in that country.
    The report says though the number of Indian immigrants is low when compared to people from Mexico, the Indian context is appalling as the illegal immigrants mostly consist high-skilled workers. Illegal immigrants from other countries are mostly low-skilled workers.

Mercurynews, in its report, also says if the trend continues India will only trail only Mexico, El Salvador and Guatemala in illegal immigration.

The report quoting experts says virtually all immigrants enter the US legally and then violate the visa terms, thus becomimg illegal immigrants.

"How do you get in? You come across the border, or you arrive here with a visa," Lindsay Lowell, policy director for the Institute for the Study of International Migration at Georgetown University told Mercurynews.

"Indians aren't going to be walking across the border like Mexicans," he said.

Federal officials calculated the number of illegal immigrants by using census estimates of the total number of immigrants from individual countries, compiling the total number of legal immigrants using federal immigration and naturalization records, and then subtracting the number of legal residents from the total immigrant population to determine the number of undocumented people, the report said.

Asked by Mercurynews about the number of illegal Indians in Silicon Valley, Banjit Singh, an Indian-born taxi driver, said, "Here, there is a little bit. But you go to another city or state, like Los Angeles or New York, there are many illegal people."

Local immigration lawyers say that particularly among Indians, the ups and downs of Silicon Valley's economy since 2001 are one reason why Indians have fallen out of legal status.

"Most are bachelors; the way they get here is they have a job," Gabriel Jack, a San Jose immigration lawyer, said of many of his Indian clients.

"They come here as professionals, most often in the H-1B program, and given the fluctuations of Silicon Valley, the business climate, these guys lose their jobs. They get laid off or they wager their hands on a start-up coming in," Jack said.

"The problem with the H-1B program is, you can't have any significant time between jobs" without falling out of legal status.

Indians made up 44 percent of H-1B applicants in the 2005-06 fiscal year, five times the number from second-place China, the report says.

The report says another source is relatives from India who arrive for a visit on a tourist visa and never go home.

America is a very attractive country; everybody who comes here wants to stay," said Shah Peerally, a Silicon Valley immigration lawyer. "I can tell you right now, there are nearly 1 billion people in India, of which maybe 800 million want to come here."

The United States deported close to 500 Indians a year in recent years, another expert tells Mecurynews.

"Unless Congress reforms the immigration system we are going to see this high-skilled, illegal workforce emerging," said Frank D. Bean, director of the Immigration Research Center at the University of California-Irvine.

http://www.rediff.com/news/2008/feb/19us.htm

http://www.rediff.com/news/2008/feb/19us.htm

Say "Thank you Senator Kennedy"
    <div>Thank you Governor Brewer!</div>

It is the immigration chain phenomenon with someone coming typically as a student getting their degree here and then a practical training. They bring in parents and adult siblings. Also there are a lot of people who remain here beyond their legal studentship or H1B even if they do not get a green card. There are peole who come here on visitors visas to see relatives here legally but who then never leave.
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by notyou
    Recently, I looked up the official figure, and if I recall correctly there are approximately 1.6 million Indian immigrants in the United States. The vast majority are here legally. The arrive here already knowing the English language, because English is the second language of their country. Nothing to get upset about here.
    I'm not sure what speaking English has to do with this Indians from India immigration question.

For instance, do you know how many Indians from India enter the country legally?
    Only 1.6 million Indians from India in the United States? I guess they must be concentrated on only a few states, like mine.

Do you happen to know how many of those Indians are of the "untouchable" caste, a caste that is looked upon by contempt by Indians of higher caste, , or are the Indians entering the United States from India mainly professionals?

For instance, I don't hear of any Indians from India working in the fields picking crops.

Note: Indians, Pakstanis, Bangledash people: They are people really from one country.
    After World War II: The British divided India into India for the majority Hindu, and Pakistan for the majority Muslims.
    Then, Pakistan split again into Pakistan and Bangledash.

My point is this: Instead of having immigrants from one country---India--- as it was before World War II, we now have three times the immigrants from the same area, because they now come from 3 relatively new, separate countries.

I find the idea that a country can split itself into 3 separate countries and then send 3 times the normal amount of immigrants to the United States difficult to understand.

For instance, can you imagine if suddenly Mexico split into 3 countries and each new country began sending their citizens to the United States under our immigration quotas for each country?
    What a mess that would be.

I see them in the electronics stores in my area. We don't have a lot of high paying tech jobs to attract them--which is what they really want--but they're here anyway.
    "Men of low degree are vanity, Men of high degree are a lie. " David
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

270,000 out of 1.6 million is 16.8% illegal. Meanwhile, my calculations indicate that 70% of recent Hispanic immigrants (those who arrived in the past 8 years) are here illegally.
    Obviously, the laws need to apply to everybody regardless of where they are from, but illegal Indian immigration is not the big problem.

mirse- the language people speak obviously is relevant to how well they can integrate into our society. Also, I really don't think India, Pakistan, and Bangladesh (note how to spell the names of those countries) ever were one country by culture, language, or identity. They may have been combined into one administrative unit, or one colony by the British- but that was something imposed by foreigners.

mirse- the language people speak obviously is relevant to how well they can integrate into our society. Also, I really don't think India, Pakistan, and Bangladesh (note how to spell the names of those countries) ever were one country by culture, language, or identity. They may have been combined into one administrative unit, or one colony by the British- but that was something imposed by foreigners.[/quote]
    Wrong spelling of countries aside, do you really think that there would be countries named Pakistan and Bangladesh today if the British had not divided India into Hindu India and Muslim Pakistan soon after World War II?

By the way, who gave the British the right to divide India in the first place? To me, that was British arrogance at its worst.
    The payback to past British arrogrance is the growing Indian and Pakistan immigration problems in Great Britain.

Indian immigration may not be a problem to you---you must live in an area with few Indians from India ---but to the rest of us who see many Indians running gas stations, hotels, motels, and taking over technical jobs, it is a growing problem.

Note: One way you can tell if your area has a growing Indian population: You suddenly see Indian restaurants popping up here and popping up there.

You must be blind or fooling yourself if you don't see growing legal and illegal Indian immigration as a potential problem.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast