It's not the immigrants most protest--it's the illegality

Date published: 5/14/2008

This letter is regarding the illegal immigration problem facing Fredericksburg and the surrounding counties.

I lived in the Stafford and Fredericksburg area for 35 years. In the year or so prior to moving, I saw a major influx of illegals moving into the area.

To most, it's not a matter of being intolerant of different ethnicities; it's a matter of our leaders allowing illegal immigrants rights and monetary support that they haven't earned.

Remember Ellis Island? People who wanted to live in this country came through there, got documented, and then proceeded to work and pay into the American system.

Why should it be any different today? Why should legal U.S. citizens continue to pay taxes and put money into Social Security when it probably won't be there for us when we need it because we have given it away to those who haven't earned it?

It's time for our leaders to get real and realize that Americans are speaking, and it's time they hear us.

Look at Manassas and the problems the illegal immigrants have caused there. This kind of situation will continue to happen unless something is done.

I welcome anyone who wants to live in this country. I just want them to do it right, so it benefits everyone.

Patsy Martin

Yulee, Fla.

http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2008 ... 008/378861