Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: John Boehner says he is encouraging Jeb Bush to run for president

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

John Boehner says he is encouraging Jeb Bush to run for president

John Boehner says he is encouraging Jeb Bush to run for president

Washington Examiner
    By Susan Ferrechio | MAY 12, 2014

House Speaker John Boehner said he is "nudging" former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush to run for president and he wants to take up immigration reform legislation in small pieces, starting first with border security.

Boehner made the remarks at the San Antonio Chamber of Commerce during a question-and-answer session with the editor of Texas Monthly.

Boehner, when asked whether the House would take up immigration reform this year, said it would depend on whether he can "bring my members along," and he acknowledged that one group of GOP lawmakers has no interest in taking up the issue during an election year.

"There are some members of my party that just do not want to deal with this," Boehner said. "It’s no secret. But I do believe the vast majority of members of our party do want to deal with this, and they want to deal with this honestly, openly and fairly."

Boehner said if the House is able to move on immigration reform, he won’t take up the Senate bill or mimic the massive comprehensive measure passed by that chamber.

Instead, he wants to take up between four and six different “bite-sized” bills, starting with a border security measure, and debate them over a period of weeks or months.

“When you break them down into smaller chunks,” Boehner said, “you end up with less opposition.”

Boehner, when asked whether he would move a bill that includes a pathway to citizenship for those who are here illegally, said he would look to the people who have achieved citizenship legitimately, by waiting in line for years and going through the process legally.

“They are the people that I will look to,” Boehner said. “Because whatever it is we agree on has to pass the straight-faced test,” Boehner said. “How do the people who did this the hard way, how do they feel about the process?”

Boehner blamed President Obama for the GOP pushback against an immigration reform bill, saying Obama's decision to use executive action to circumvent Congress has broken down the trust between Republicans and the White House.

Boehner pointed to the dozens of changes Obama has made to the health care law for reasons many believe are related to lessening the blow of the new law in the months ahead of the critical midterm election.

“I do think we are getting closer on the policy side, in terms of how to deal with [immigration],” Boehner said. “The problem we’ve got is the president has to demonstrate that we can trust him.”

Boehner said he was “looking forward” to running for House speaker again in January and said he has a “very good” relationship with his colleagues, including the ones who disagree with him.

“I’m running for re-election,” Boehner said. “I expect I will be speaker.”

But he would not guarantee serving out his full term.

“I can’t predict what will happen,” Boehner said, noting that he is 65 years old.

“I’m living on borrowed time,” Boehner joked.

He said it was “way too early” to pick a top GOP presidential candidate. “We’ve got a lot of good candidates out there, and yes, Jeb Bush is my friend, I think he’d make a great president. And I’ve been nudging him for some time.”

http://washingtonexaminer.com/boehne...stom_click=rss
    Join our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & to secure US borders by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Join our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & to secure US borders by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Last edited by HAPPY2BME; 05-13-2014 at 12:58 AM.

New Hampshire GOPers Boo Jeb Bush After Donald Trump Mocks His Immigration Stance

Published on Apr 14, 2014

The 2016 speculation surrounding former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush may have hit a speed bump over the weekend. The road to the White House for moderate Republicans traditionally runs through New Hampshire and, speaking at an Americans for Prosperity event in the Granite State over the weekend, real estate mogul Donald Trump showed that the state's roads may be rocky for the potential presidential aspirant.

Appearing at the Freedom Summit attended by a number of conservative activists, Trump mocked Bush's recent comments about illegal immigration being at its core an "act of love."

"You know, I heard Jeb Bush the other day," Trump said, pausing for the chorus of booing from the audience to build. "And he was talking about people that come into this country illegally, they do it for love."

"And I said, say it again I didn't get — that's one I've never heard before," Trump continued, with the crowd's boos growing louder. "I understand what he's saying, but, you know, it's out there."

Jeb Bush for President?

Why Jeb Bush May Win the Nomination

Like seeing a train crash 2.5 years in advance

Yes, he's out of touch with the Republican base, out of shape on the campaign trail, andburdened by the disastrous presidency of his older brother, but Jeb Bush could win the Republican presidential nomination. To make it to the top, however, he'll have to do one thing: Make “Jeb Bush” disappear.

JAMELLE BOUIEJamelle Bouie is a Slate staff writer covering politics, policy, and race.

Follow[/*][/list]
    As it stands, the former Florida governor is anathema to the rank and file of the Republican Party. This weekend, in the key presidential primary state of New Hampshire, conservative activists gathered to listen and judge a handful of presidential aspirants, from all but official candidates like Sens. Rand Paul and Ted Cruz to people flirting with a run like Donald Trump and Mike Huckabee.

Each speaker made his pitch. Paul focused on civil liberties and promised to expand the GOP tent with a hands-off approach to gay marriage and other issues. Cruz billed himself as an avatar of conservative orthodoxy—an economic conservative, a social conservative, and a national security conservative. Huckabee indulged in right-wing hyperbole—“My gosh, I’m beginning to think that there’s more freedom in North Korea sometimes than there is in the United States”—and Donald Trump said Donald Trump things.

But insofar that there was a rhetorical constant, it was open disdain for Jeb Bush, as candidates responded to his sympathy for undocumented immigrants and praise for federal education standards. “Get rid of Common Core and replace it with common sense!” said Tennessee Rep. Marsha Blackburn, taking a swipe at Bush’s support for the reformed curriculum standards. “I think what Jeb was trying to say was that many people come to the United States to look for opportunity,” said Huckabee, commenting on Bush’s support for comprehensive immigration reform. “I don't personally support amnesty. I think we ought to have a secure border.”

Trump also riffed on Bush’s immigration comments, mocking the notion that immigrants come to the United States out of “love.” “[T]hat’s one I've never heard of before,” Trump said. “I've heard money, I've heard this, I've heard sex, I've heard everything! The one thing I never heard of was love. I understand what he's saying, but, you know, it's out there, I'll tell you.” More importantly, the mere mention of Bush’s name drew boos from the crowd, who oppose the former governor’s immigration leniency.

The standard take is that Bush’s weak support among grassroots conservatives is nearly fatal for his presidential chances, and there’s no doubt that it puts him at a disadvantage. Bush has been out of the game for so long that he’s out of step with the base of the party. They want a full-scale assault on the welfare state, not compassion or empathy.

Then again, this is an old problem. The Republican Party has a long history of nominating candidates who anger and enrage the base. In 1996 there was Bob Dole, in 2008 there was John McCain, and in 2012—after three years of anti-establishment, Tea Party rage—Republicans nominated Mitt Romney, the former governor of Massachusetts who pioneered universal health insurance for his state.

Yes, the actual energy of the party was with Romney’s competitors, from Texas Gov. Rick Perry to former House Speaker Newt Gingrich and former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum. But Romney was the establishment choice. In addition to the cash and organization this provides, it sends a powerful message to the party writ large: “You may not agree with Romney on every choice, but we believe he could win the presidency.” The imprimatur of the GOP’s donor class may not sway every activist and Republican primary voter, but it’s a huge asset to whoever has it and almost guarantees the nomination.

For Jeb Bush to win, he may have to do more than bury his former political persona—he may have to bury the Bush name.

If Jeb Bush has anything on his side right now, it’s this—the establishment stamp of approval. Just read this Washington Post story from late last month, where a parade of Republican donors and officials showed their enthusiasm for a Bush candidacy. Yes, there are still arguments and divisions among Republican elites, but one thing is clear: If Bush steps into the ring, he’ll begin the race with key victories in the “invisible primary,” where candidates fight to win influence and endorsements from the party’s most moneyed supporters.

Even still, this doesn’t make the grassroots irrelevant as much as it changes the nature of the challenge. No, the Republican base isn’t strong or influential enough to drive a candidate to the nomination or to kill the candidacy of someone with establishment support. What it can do, however, is extract concessions in the form of policy promises and rhetorical strategies. This is what happened to Mitt Romney. Strong elite backing made him the favorite for the nomination, but he still had to appeal to rank-and-file Republican voters. After all, you still need to win primaries. So, he disavowed his previous self, condemning the Affordable Care Act as an abomination of public policy and dashing to the right on immigration. He gave his full commitment to the priorities of the Republican base, which—along with the help of the establishment—won him the nomination. In other words, for Mitt Romney the Republican presidential candidate to become Mitt Romney the Republican presidential nominee, he had to go back in time and effectively destroy Mitt Romney, the moderate Massachusetts governor.

“Jeb Bush, former Florida governor” is much more conservative than Romney was at the same stage of his career, and he won’t have to shift gears on health care reform or abortion. Still, if Bush has appeal to Republican elites, it’s because of his moderate affect—he’s not a fire-breather—and pragmatic approach to immigration and education, legacies of his tenure in Florida.

And that’s the “Jeb Bush” that has to go. To win the invisible primary and prevail with voters, Bush will have to sacrifice the most moderate aspects of his persona and commit to the main concerns of the rank and file. Or, put another way, there’s a good chance that any Jeb Bush who represents the entire Republican Party will be a Jeb Bush who opposes comprehensive immigration reform, shows strong skepticism for federal education programs, and adopts the usual bromides against President Obama and the Democratic Party.

It’s a Jeb Bush who—if he truly wants to win the nomination—may have to disavow his brother and father, too. Few Republicans will defend the eldest Bush, who worked with Democrats to raise taxes and earned the animosity of a generation of conservatives. By contrast, GOP opinion on George W. Bush is divided. Among elites, he’s a distinguished ex-president. To many activists, however, he’s a big spender who jeopardizedconservative principles. And that’s to say nothing of the general public, which stillblames the second President Bush for our sluggish economy.

For Jeb Bush to win, he may have to do more than bury his former political persona—he may have to bury the Bush name.

Read more at http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=6c8_1...zPKTEEobRpH.99

The Bush Legacy ..

Republican Party 2004 Campaign [targeted at Hispanics]

(make sure you rewind this to the start, it has a tendency to begin in the middle)

George W. Bush on Immigration

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast