Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Joining the Air Force with an illegal alien spouse?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Joining the Air Force with an illegal alien spouse?

Joining the Air Force with an illegal alien spouse?

yahooanswers

Hello, I am a citizen and I am joining the air force in the next months or so. I have some questions. I want to marry my girlfriend who I have been dating for the past years. I love her and I want her to go wherever i go yet, she is an illegal alien. What can i do? Can she go with me to different nations? Any advise? How to make her a resident? She used to come to the USA legally but then she went back to her country, Mexico, and came back as an illegal alien. What can we do? Please help. .

REPLIES:

Send her back to Mexico. She can apply for a "Green Card" just like anyone else.

• 7 hours ago

The only thing you can do if you want to be with her AND join the military is to have her return to Mexico, and together you file out the proper paperwork to get her into the country under a legal status.

Otherwise you're going to have some massive problems down the road.

And it does suck being away from someone for a while, but if you guys are serious about it, you will be able to do it just fine, and hopefully get to visit each other a couple times in the several months it takes to get her visa approved.

• 7 hours ago

If you won't do what it takes to get her in the country legally and married to you, then you are going to have one helluva time getting a security clearance. I guess the Air Force might have a job for you mowing lawns or maybe washing dishes. That's the best you can hope for.

• 7 hours ago

If you are serious about this, and not just some stupid troll trying to stir people up... you need to explain to her the importance that she return to Mexico and legally apply to be here. She needs a green card - period.

When you begin the enlistment process they will do a background check on you. That background check also extends to your prospective wife, and as soon as she pops "Illegal" two things will happen: first - ICE will come arrest her and once deported she can never apply for a green card. Second - Her being illegal will kill any chance of you getting a security clearance. No clearance - no service.

Save yourself the pain and hassle, have her return to Mexico, go through the green card process, return, get married and she can go with you, where ever Uncle Sam wishes you to serve, plus she gets all the benefits a dependent (legal dependent) is entitled to. Good luck and best wishes.

Retired USAF Gulf War Veteran / DoD Civilian

• 7 hours ago

She needs to go back to Mexico, apply for Citizenship or a Green Card, and than you can enlist. If you enlist with her still in the United States, you will lose your Security Clearance chances, which means you cannot serve in any branch. It would also mean that your wife would be deported back to Mexico, and have almost no chance of applying for citizenship. Have her go back, apply to be a U.S. Citizen, and than you enlist. Problem solved.

Future U.S. Army Airborne - 82nd Airborne Division

• Edited 6 hours ago

Well I come from New Zealand and we have essentially the same system here, if a foreigner is married to a citizen, then she is basically entitled to citizenship as well. Get her back, marry if you think you really love here, and then she can apply for permanent residence or citizenship.

• 6 hours ago

You need to visit the department of homeland security and ask about marriage and residency procedures. She will need a sponsor to obtain a residency here. It's faster with a citizen counterpart, most people here don't understand what it really takes to be granted a resident card( green card), it takes an average of 10 years. Not the speedy process everyone thinks it is. I think the system needs a big overhaul in terms of time processes, it would encourage others to go threw the system. So if you take everyones else's advice on this then forget it, cause the process isent that easy. They are right on the security clearance part, but the government is looking for ties to countries that have foreboding connections to homeland security. It's not impossible if you work at it. Good luck

http://www.dhs.gov/files/immigration.sht…

yahoo answers blog source: Joining the Air Force with an illegal alien spouse? - Yahoo! Answers
    Join our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & to secure US borders by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

if you marry her you will be ineligible to enlist. you can and will get into trouble for having an Illegal spouse. they can and will turn her over to ICE. or you could pretend she does not exist and be considered Single.. which means no BAH, she cannot ever reside with you as you will be in Barracks/dorms and she will not be eligible for any benefits that authorized dependents get

also if the Job you want requires a Clearance you absolutely cannot even THINK about having a relationship with an illegal.

so either break it off, or tell her to get legal. and no the Military will not intercede in any way other than to inform Immigration of her existence/whereabouts.

• 23 hours ago
    Joining the Air Force with an illegal alien spouse? - Yahoo! Answers
    Join our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & to secure US borders by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

She can join the Military as well, if she's serious about becoming a citizen....
    In my son's platoon, there was a young soldier studying to become a citizen, and they all helped him study for his test......
    When this kid wasn't out hunting down the Taliban, he was studying to be a US citizen...
    They were all so proud when he became a citizen!!