Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Judge pleads with Gov Easley for special session on gangs

http://www.wsoctv.com/index.html

Judge At Hearing For Suspect In Student Killings Calls For Legislative Session On Gangs

POSTED: 11:41 am EDT March 14, 2008
    UPDATED: 12:07 pm EDT March 14, 2008

DURHAM, N.C. -- The judge presiding Friday at the first court appearance of a teenager charged with killing two North Carolina college students pleaded with Gov. Mike Easley to call a special Legislative session on gang violence.
    "I'm sending an SOS to Raleigh," said District Court Judge Craig Brown. "I expect them to hear it."

Police have not said Laurence Lovette, 17, of Durham, was a member of a gang, or that the slayings of Duke University graduate student Abhijit Mahato and University of North Carolina student body president Eve Carson were gang related. In both cases, robbery appears to be the primary motive.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RAW VIDEO: Person Of Interest In UNC Slaying Walked Into Police Station
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Authorities have also charged Demario Atwater, 21, of Durham, in Carson's death, and Stephen Lavance Oates, 19, of Durham, in Mahato's killing.

Brown promised Lovette that he will get a fair trial. But as he ordered the teen held on a $3 million bond, he said that Easley, House Speaker Joe Hackney, Senate leader Marc Basnight and Attorney General Roy Cooper need to take immediate action to fight gangs. The judge is a graduate of both North Carolina and Duke.

Durham County assistant prosecutor Tracey Kline said she asked Brown for the high bond because Lovette is already facing trial on numerous other charges. Court records show that between Mahato's slaying in January and Carson's death in March, police arrested and changed him with felonies ranging from burglary to car theft to resisting arrest.

Lovette wasn't a suspect in Mahato's death until after police in Chapel Hill began investigating Carson's slaying. The 22-year-old from Athens, Ga., was found lying in street about a mile from North Carolina's campus shot several times, including once in the temple.

Cline said detectives linked Lovette to Mahato's death through phone records, a vehicle and items taken from his home. He was arrest in the Carson case after police released two surveillance photos they they said show him using Carson's ATM card while driving what appears to be her Toyota Highlander

Police found Mahato's wallet, cell phone and iPod missing after discovering his body in January. The 29-year-old doctoral student in computational mechanics, originally of Tatangar, India, had been shot to death inside his apartment a few block south of Duke's campus.

Lovette was appointed a public defender. His next court date was set for March 27.

Now we find out they are not protecting us from domestic criminals as well! These two accused of the student murders should have been in jail long before it escalated to this point.

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I always suspected this shooting was gang related; although they have not yet admitted it.

Just the brutal execution style shot in the temple wreaked of gangs.

North Carolina is becomming a very dangerous place to live. It's time to kick our elected officials out.

Mike Weasley has been a total failure during his time as governor when it comes to immigration and the safety of Tar Heels. And he claimed to be the great crime fighting DA, baa humbug.

Even rural Robeson County miles out side of Lumberton has a gang problem.

[/img]
    **Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "man, what a rid

AE

My husband commented one time how we needed to leave town and live somewhere WAY out in order to stay away from the gang problems. I told him, that in sorts, Americans are in a war and if we walk away from where we live and give it up, then we might as well simply give them our entire country, we can't keep "moving away" from criminals. I plan to stand my ground and fight for what belongs to us, this is our town and neighborhood and this is our state.

Americans need to unite against illegal immigration, our own criminals and non-American criminals. We also need to stand up against politicians who refuse to do their jobs.
    “In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot.â€

U.S.A.- for legal citizens, not illegals!
    Quote Originally Posted by AE
    Americans need to unite against illegal immigration, our own criminals and non-American criminals. We also need to stand up against politicians who refuse to do their jobs.
    Yes, I agree.
    The National Council of LaRaza is the largest*hate group.