Does anyone from KS recognize the writer or am I too tired and I missed it?

Immigration bills nearly empty

The top issue for this past week in the Legislature was that on the minds of most Kansans – illegal immigration. And Kansans demand a comprehensive approach to this overwhelming problem. They demand we deny public benefits to those illegally in our country.

They demand an end to in-state tuition for illegal aliens. They demand an end to our catchand- release approach to law enforcement. And they demand that businesses participate in a solution to this crisis. However, the Kansas Legislature has stuck its head in the sand again – and refused to do much about it – other than to claim falsely great progress.

Caving into the pressure from businesses and welfare groups, both the House and Senate passed varying versions of nearly-toothless reform. Let me explain. First, the Senate bill. In response to citizen demands, the Senate illegal immigration bill does very little – but that is more than nothing.

Unfortunately, some of my most rigorous proposals were eliminated - but at least the denial of illegal alien access to most tax dollars remains. But illegal aliens will still receive your tax assistance to attend college in Kansas – meanwhile dozens of ROTC cadets at Kansas universities will not!

Businesses will still have no real penalties when they hire illegal aliens – but now the government will fine unions who recruit the same illegal workers into their unions! A new illegal immigration enforcement unit will be created at the Attorney General’s office, and the first report they will receive (and ignore) will be the list of illegal aliens you are subsidizing in college!

The House bill is likely to make the situation even worse. Not only are businesses not part of the solution any time soon, the House included language that potentially opens up more welfare benefits to illegal aliens than even allowed under federal law.

For the first time, Kansas would be creating a new right for illegal aliens – state financed medical care, no questions asked. Kansans deserve better – much, much more must be done. But the tone-deaf Legislature just can’t seem to listen very well on this issue – but that is what elections are for.

If you are concerned about this issue, I encourage you to visit with your elected officials – both in Topeka and Washington. The failure to act in either Capitol should never be an excuse for inaction in the other. It’s time for real leadership – not empty rhetoric.

Thank you for all your concerns, questions and comments about issues before the Legislature. We are entering the final week of the regular Session. So now would be a great time leave a message for me on the toll-free line (1-800-432-3924) or call the office directly at (785) 296-7359.

http://www.swdtimes.com/view.php?I=856