Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

LA VOZ DE AZTLAN: Thanksgiving is unhappy time

LA VOZ DE AZTLAN
    Los Angeles, Alta California
    November 16, 2007

"Thanksgiving Holiday" is an unhappy time for Native Americans

On Thursday November 22nd is Thanksgiving Day in the United States. Originally the holiday was for white immigrants to give thanks to God for surviving their first winter in America after arriving from England on a ship called "The Mayflower". The so called "pilgrims" survived that winter only through the help of Native Americans.

For Native Americans, however, the holiday is a time of mourning because of the suffering these white settlers have brought them. Through 5 centuries, Native Americans have been decimated through genocide, white diseases and forced assimilation.

The massacres of American Natives took place throughout a period spanning over 250 years. The first recorded massacre took place in 1637 and is called The Mystic River Massacre. In this massacre, white immigrants launched a night attack on a large Pequot village on the Mystic River in Connecticut. The "colonists" burned the Native Americans alive and killed the survivors. The last known massacre of Native Americans by whites took place in 1890 at Wounded Knee, South Dakota.

As white Americans sit around their tables to feast on their Thanksgiving meals, perhaps it would be a good idea to contemplate on all the massacres that took place against those very same Native Americans that once extended their helping hands but were betrayed. Also, perhaps a prayer for all the victims of America's continuing massacres around the globe would be proper, like those that took place in My Lai in Vietnam and in Fallujah in Iraq.

Happy Thanksgiving!

http://www.aztlan.net/unhappy_thanksgiving_holiday.htm

La Voz de Aztlan
    Website http:/www.aztlan.net
    http://www.aztlan.net/contactlavozdeaztlan.html
    Join Project Amigos
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Seattle schools warn staff about Thanksgiving 'mourning'
    06:17 PM PST on Wednesday, November 14, 2007
    By ERIC WILKINSON / KING 5 News

It's not a Happy Thanksgiving for everyone SEATTLE – A letter from the Seattle School District is raising some eyebrows about Thanksgiving and how it should be handled in the classroom.

The letter tells school district staff that the holiday is seen by many Native Americans as a "time of mourning."

It all started three years ago when some Native American parents voiced concerns about how Thanksgiving was being observed in Seattle Schools.

"In terms of what they were seeing in some of the use of the feathers and those things because those are of spiritual and ceremonial significance to us," said Willard Bill, Seattle Public Schools.

Related Content
    The list of Thanksgiving "myths" mentioned in the letter to school staff
    For the past three years, the Seattle School District has sent a letter to teachers and staff, telling them "Thanksgiving can be a difficult time for many native students."

This year's letter references a Native American historical website that outlines what it calls myths about Thanksgiving.

Myth number 11 – Thanksgiving is a happy time.

That’s much more of a reality to parents we spoke to.

"I don't think that's a myth at all. I think anything you are thankful for is great," said parent D.D. Boutwell.

The letter also asks teachers to understand that Thanksgiving is a "time of mourning" for many Indian people and a "reminder of 500 years of betrayal."

Some parents say it's political correctness gone too far.

"I think it gets to be silly," said parent Deb Bush.

School officials are quick to say that this letter does not signify a first shot fired in a War on Thanksgiving, and they say teachers are not being told to do anything different in the classroom.

"We just want a more inclusive history taught in our schools. Not a feel good to a feel bad history but a more representative history of who our population is," said Bill.

Local Native American leaders add that not everyone in their community sees Thanksgiving negatively, but there is still plenty of hurt that can only be healed by a deeper understanding of our history.

"We need to free ourselves so that we can manifest that true love and kindness and compassion that's necessary to heal the wounds," said said Phil Lane, Jr., United Indians of All Tribes Foundation.

About 1,200 Native American students from 100 tribes are enrolled in Seattle schools.
    http://www.king5.com/education/stories/ ... 49914.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

U.S.A.- for legal citizens, not illegals!
    Another piece of rhetoric, racist trash from satans helpers at los voz de aztlan.

aztlan is a MYTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The National Council of LaRaza is the largest*hate group.

From what I learned in school there was Massacre from both sides so lets not cry over spilled milk, I say didn't alot of Americans lose their scalps, we alll wish they would have gotten along, but the fact is they didn't, The most important fact is we get along NOW.
    I love native American customs and I hope they appriciate ours.

Geeez, when I was in school the first thanksgiving taught us pilgrams and Native Americans were feasting together. I remember drawing pictures for thanksgiving to take home and in them were the Indians and they were friendly.

I also learned respect for the native Americans through the history I was taught so I'd say our history must have worked out just fine. Why can't they leave well enough alone. And they better damn well leave thanksgiving alone, if we want to celebrate the people from the mayflower suriving the first winter, so be it!!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Today, I was in a supermarket; at the register was a wonderful Native America woman, as I was leaving I said to her: have a great holiday; with a huge smile she said: Happy Thanksgiving. It was great...I love it.
    <div>GOD - FAMILY - COUNTRY</div>

Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by SOSADFORUS
    From what I learned in school there was Massacre from both sides so lets not cry over spilled milk, I say didn't alot of Americans lose their scalps, we alll wish they would have gotten along, but the fact is they didn't, The most important fact is we get along NOW.

Just to substantiate your post, my gggrandfather spoke fluent Apache yet was killed by other Indians. Prior to that my Huegenot pioneers lost many to Indian attacks and kidnapping. It's well documented that the Native Americans weren't the only casualties in the settlement of this country.

I celebrate Thanksgiving to honor the many blessings during the year and give thanks for those couageous pioneers who made my life in this country possible. God Bless the pioneers, settlers and their descendants.

Happy Thanksgiving, to all!

La Voz de Aztlan is NOTHING but a bunch of LOUSY racist ingrates who DON'T appreciate HOW good THEY have it HERE!

I think that if they (Mexican nationals) hate us so much, they should stop accepting our welfare and food stamps. Oh, and BTW, I am a descendant of the Cherokee Nation and I am offended that these people try to connect themselves with native Americans.
    Che Guevara wears a picture of ME on his t-shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattler
    Quote Originally Posted by SOSADFORUS

Just to substantiate your post, my gggrandfather spoke fluent Apache yet was killed by other Indians. Prior to that my Huegenot pioneers lost many to Indian attacks and kidnapping. It's well documented that the Native Americans weren't the only casualties in the settlement of this country.

I celebrate Thanksgiving to honor the many blessings during the year and give thanks for those couageous pioneers who made my life in this country possible. God Bless the pioneers, settlers and their descendants.

Happy Thanksgiving, to all!
    Ditto "Rattler" I know what you are talking about, my family has been here since before 1700 and i'm sure they did not all make it alive, people need to learn to let things go, alot of people suffered !! And I really appreciate my forefathers also and am thankful for the United States of America, even if it is a big mess right now!! . WE CAN FIX IT!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast