Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Laura Bush: Separating children from their parents at the border ‘breaks my heart’

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Laura Bush: Separating children from their parents at the border ‘breaks my heart’

Laura Bush: Separating children from their parents at the border ‘breaks my heart’

June 18, 2018

Laura Bush is a former first lady of the United States.

On Sunday, a day we as a nation set aside to honor fathers and the bonds of family, I was among the millions of Americans who watched images of children who have been torn from their parents. In the six weeks between April 19 and May 31, the Department of Homeland Security has sent nearly 2,000 children to mass detention centers or foster care. More than 100 of these children are younger than 4 years old. The reason for these separations is a zero-tolerance policy for their parents, who are accused of illegally crossing our borders.

I live in a border state. I appreciate the need to enforce and protect our international boundaries, but this zero-tolerance policy is cruel. It is immoral. And it breaks my heart.

Our government should not be in the business of warehousing children in converted box stores or making plans to place them in tent cities in the desert outside of El Paso. These images are eerily reminiscent of the Japanese American internment camps of World War II, now considered to have been one of the most shameful episodes in U.S. history. We also know that this treatment inflicts trauma; interned Japanese have been two times as likely to suffer cardiovascular disease or die prematurely than those who were not interned.

Americans pride ourselves on being a moral nation, on being the nation that sends humanitarian relief to places devastated by natural disasters or famine or war. We pride ourselves on believing that people should be seen for the content of their character, not the color of their skin. We pride ourselves on acceptance. If we are truly that country, then it is our obligation to reunite these detained children with their parents — and to stop separating parents and children in the first place.

People on all sides agree that our immigration system isn’t working, but the injustice of zero tolerance is not the answer. I moved away from Washington almost a decade ago, but I know there are good people at all levels of government who can do better to fix this.
    Recently, Colleen Kraft, who heads the American Academy of Pediatrics, visited a shelter run by the U.S. Office of Refugee Resettlement. She reported that while there were beds, toys, crayons, a playground and diaper changes, the people working at the shelter had been instructed not to pick up or touch the children to comfort them. Imagine not being able to pick up a child who is not yet out of diapers.

Twenty-nine years ago, my mother-in-law, Barbara Bush, visited Grandma’s House, a home for children with HIV/AIDS in Washington. Back then, at the height of the HIV/AIDS crisis, the disease was a death sentence, and most babies born with it were considered “untouchables.” During her visit, Barbara — who was the first lady at the time — picked up a fussy, dying baby named Donovan and snuggled him against her shoulder to soothe him. My mother-in-law never viewed her embrace of that fragile child as courageous. She simply saw it as the right thing to do in a world that can be arbitrary, unkind and even cruel. She, who after the death of her 3-year-old daughter knew what it was to lose a child, believed that every child is deserving of human kindness, compassion and love.

In 2018, can we not as a nation find a kinder, more compassionate and more moral answer to this current crisis? I, for one, believe we can.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.3294cbf63bc2

Last edited by GeorgiaPeach; 06-18-2018 at 11:55 AM.
    Matthew 19:26
    But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Republican President George W. Bush did so much harm to our nation by not fully enforcing immigration laws and allowing millions of illegal aliens to cross our borders and overstay their visas. President Bush wanted another big amnesty and supported comprehensive immigration reform that punishes American citizens while rewarding those here illegally. His Commerce Secretary and others with ties to the Chamber of Commerce and big business falsely claimed we needed the cheap labor.

Politicians in Washington and others who want to force acceptance of millions of illegal aliens on American citizens do not generally live in our communities to realize the true impact from third world invasion and the true costs to us. They don't see the societal impact, the financial impact, the personal impact.
    Last edited by GeorgiaPeach; 06-18-2018 at 03:08 PM.
    Matthew 19:26
    But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Was Laura Bushes' HEART BROKEN when Kate Steinle and Jamil were murdered in cold blood by illegal aliens?

Did YOUR heart break with their daughter and son WAS RIPPED FROM their families arms?

Was your HEART BROKEN when you heard all the angel mom's tell their stories of how their children WERE RIPPED FROM THEIR ARMS when they were murdered by illegal aliens.

YOU ARE NOTHING BUT A RICH GLOBALIST WHO LINED YOUR POCKETS OFF THE BACKS OF U.S. TAXPAYERS!

LAURA BUSH...GO FLY DOWN TO MEXICO, GUATEMALA, EL SALVADOR, HONDURAS AND ASK WHY THESE PRESIDENTS ARE DOING THIS TO THEIR CHILDREN. WHY THEY HAVE "NO HEART" FOR THEIR OWN PEOPLE? WHY THEY DON'T CLEAN UP THEIR MESS IN THEIR COUNTRY!

UNTIL YOU GO DO THAT...SHUT YOUR PIE HOLE!
    ILLEGAL ALIENS HAVE "BROKEN" OUR IMMIGRATION SYSTEM

DO NOT REWARD THEM - DEPORT THEM ALL

Who, told this murderer to speak?

Laura and Melanie and any other "First Lady" needs to sit down and shut up. We've a serious problem to solve and your "momminess" isn't impressing anyone or solving any problem for any American.

So, sit down and shut up!!
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
    Was Laura Bushes' HEART BROKEN when Kate Steinle and Jamil were murdered in cold blood by illegal aliens?

Did YOUR heart break with their daughter and son WAS RIPPED FROM their families arms?

Was your HEART BROKEN when you heard all the angel mom's tell their stories of how their children WERE RIPPED FROM THEIR ARMS when they were murdered by illegal aliens.

YOU ARE NOTHING BUT A RICH GLOBALIST WHO LINED YOUR POCKETS OFF THE BACKS OF U.S. TAXPAYERS!

LAURA BUSH...GO FLY DOWN TO MEXICO, GUATEMALA, EL SALVADOR, HONDURAS AND ASK WHY THESE PRESIDENTS ARE DOING THIS TO THEIR CHILDREN. WHY THEY HAVE "NO HEART" FOR THEIR OWN PEOPLE? WHY THEY DON'T CLEAN UP THEIR MESS IN THEIR COUNTRY!

UNTIL YOU GO DO THAT...SHUT YOUR PIE HOLE!
    Good points!
    Do you think "Pickles" Bush has ever cared for Americans.
    Kanye should have a do-over, "Pickles Bush doesn't care about American People!"