Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Learn English or go home!

I stopped by a Lowes (in Colorado) earlier today to buy some plumbing parts. I remembered that they used to label their aisle descriptions with a smaller Spanish subtitle but now it is equivalent sized and they have added a big "welcome" in Spanish plastered right on the front doors.

I''m getting tired of this crap and these corporate appeasers. I want to make a "This is America, learn English or go home!" sticker that I can discretely slap on the Spanish language sign as I enter.

Google tells me the translation is "Esto es América, aprender Inglés o ir a casa!"

Can anybody fluent in Spanish confirm it? (I hated Spanish even in high school where I got two "Ds")

Esto es América! Aprienda inglés o va para casa!

I know what you mean PFWAG,about a year ago the two main supermarkets in my town took down the signs that had large English and smaller Spanish words and made them the same size it allmost seems spanish dominates the signs now.Needless to say I try not to shop there but its just hard not to sometimes.
    We can't deport them all ? Just think of the fun we could have trying!

Outstanding,it does my heart good when the folks get fired up!

I would say:

Esto es América. Aprienda inglés o va cagar en casa!

I would say if you want others to follow the law, you should too and not vandalize other people's property. I understand your frustration, but there are other lawful actions you can take including not giving them your business. Violating the law ( I am going to reasonably infer it would be illegal, although you probably won't be prosecuted) while arguing others should follow the law is contradictory.

Aprenda Ingles or regrese a su pais!

attorneyatlaw: When in the course of human events there comes a point when civil disobedience is required to make a point. It is either that or "I'm mad as hell and am just not going to take it any more."

Damn torries, all of them.

Know a good lawyer that will defend me pro bono if I'm arrested? Something tells me the ACLU wouldn't take the case.

Have always been and always will support English as the Official Language of the U.S.

If you can't speak it or read it, then DEAL WITH IT. It's not the U.S.A.'s responsibility to adapt to you.

Example: I am retired Air Force and live in Japan. I do NOT expect the Japanese to adapt to my little knowledge of their language. Since I choose to live here, it is MY responsibility to adapt, NOT VICE VERSA.

Quote Originally Posted by USAFVeteran
    Have always been and always will support English as the Official Language of the U.S.

If you can't speak it or read it, then DEAL WITH IT. It's not the U.S.A.'s responsibility to adapt to you.

Example: I am retired Air Force and live in Japan. I do NOT expect the Japanese to adapt to my little knowledge of their language. Since I choose to live here, it is MY responsibility to adapt, NOT VICE VERSA.
    EXACTLY! BTW: I usually go to BABEL FISH on line Translator (Has many languages -IE(ENGLISH TO SPANISH & SPANISH TO ENGLISH)... http://babelfish.yahoo.com/ THEY show the translation of : ¡Ésta es América, aprende inglés o va a casa! is correct.. They HAVE even Japanese & KOREAN! CHECK it out.. I find the site pretty awesome... The CATERING to the SPANISH LINGO in this Country is getting 'more than a little' irritating!... I just tell the business people that I will find another business that CATERS to AMERICANS & SPEAK ENGLISH! IT'S MY MONEY that they are looking for! I WANT IT MY WAY!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast