Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: legal question

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

legal question

I,m the Production Manager at a company of 50 employees and I do the paperwork on all new hires. We are in Oklahoma and for new hires we have to have a SS and green card or drivers liscense, my question is can I make it a policy to have all new hires have a state ID aand or a drivers liscense? The reason being when we hired people it is only manditory to have one or the other, green card and SS or drivers license. I have seen so many people that drive in for an app but have no lisense and I feel there green cards are no good. The reason being my stepson is a legal immigrant and when we went last week to get his lisense the green card was all he needed. So is my request legal?

The Federal Government dictates what is used for W2 verification. Unless a DL is needed for the Job I do not think so.

I am no expert. Others may have a better solution.
    "Democrats Fall in Love, Republicans Fall in Line!"

Ex-El Presidente' www.jorgeboosh.com

Re: legal question

Quote Originally Posted by dgremark
    I,m the Production Manager at a company of 50 employees and I do the paperwork on all new hires.
    I am the production manager at a company with only 6 employees but I don't do the hiring paperwork, our office manager does. How do you find time to do the hiring paperwork? You don't have an office manager or human resources person who does it?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Well we have gone through a couple office managers, We just opened a new plant 7 months ago. And as you know good help is hard to find and I do have long days.

And as you know good help is hard to find and I do have long days.
    No I don't know that, we pay our workers $16 an hour and have no problem getting reliable hard working Americans/legal immigrants. Some of them have been with us for 10 years now, our shortest term worker we hired over one year ago. Let's see we have working for us two white Americans, a Hispanic American, an Asian American, a Vietnamese immigrant, and a Hmong immigrant.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

We have all races also, but in Oklahoma we have such a low unemployment that it seems we are scraping the bottom of the barrel and with upper upper management being unwilling to pay more makes it difficult. We only pay $10.50 to start but that's the bottom of the ladder. No knowledge of anything needed.

Like I said we just started this company and when you do this you go through alot of growing pains real fast. We went from 3 people that moved from Indiana and I am up to 52 now so that was fast.

with upper upper management being unwilling to pay more makes it difficult. We only pay $10.50 to start but that's the bottom of the ladder.
    And how much is upper management making?

Well I make in the 60 range with bonus but I would have to say 100 plus and the owner and investers ..... alot. But how can I change that? I do the best at what I can, I even give out gift certs and max out my expense account. I just want to make sure I only hire Americans or LEGAL immigrants.

I have seen so many people that drive in for an app but have no lisense and I feel there green cards are no good
    If you SEE them drive up and they admit they have NO US license, they are most likey illegal. You might want to call whoever it is that administers the program and ask about it. I imagine a DL or non-drivers ID issued by OK BMV/DMV would be the only picture ID's accepted, along with the green card OR ss number.

Legal immigrants I believe, are not given ss numbers. So if someone is a legal immigrant, he would have a green card AND a DL or non-driver ID per above. A US citizen would have a DL AND a ss card.
    "

With a green card you get a SS number, thus my delema.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast