Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Letters: The debate over immigration

Letters: The debate over immigration

03:08 PM CDT on Sunday, June 17, 2007

An example of the problem

Re: "25 years ago, Tyler case opened schools to illegal migrants," Monday news story.

The story of Jose Lopez tells us all we need to know about resentment toward illegal Mexicans. In 1969, he entered the U.S. illegally, then sued to have his children educated by U.S. taxpayers.

His contribution? Producing more children, 10 in all.

And the final straw: After 38 years in the U.S., he is unable to speak English.

Margret Braun, Dallas

Tainted meat or no meat?

We are told there are some jobs Americans are unwilling to tackle. Enforcing border security seems to be one of them.

If we are unwilling to enforce existing laws against illegal immigration, how are we to expect our leaders to enforce new laws and process 10 million to 20 million illegal aliens at the same time?

Others say this grand compromise Senate bill is better than nothing. That's like asserting that eating tainted meat is better than eating no meat.

How does one amend a comprehensive bill that is incomprehensible?

James Collins, Barstow

A woman's simple words

On June 8, Sen. John Cornyn mentioned that a woman's statement altered his view of the immigration bill.

I can confirm that the compelling statement was made to the senator, because I was at the town hall meeting, where a lady asked, "Since when did we start selling American citizenship for only $5,000?" Her question caused quite a reaction.

She's right. Our citizenship is worth way more than that. Frankly, I consider it priceless.

The moral is you never know when your heartfelt words will impact your representatives and drive change.

J. Patterson, Fort Worth

Because his lips are moving

I keep waiting for the current President Bush to say, "Read my lips, no amnesty."

Herb Wynans, Denton

Disgusted with Bush's role

As a lifelong Republican, I am thoroughly disgusted with the arrogance of President Bush.

The people, when given time to digest the lengthy Senate immigration bill, have spoken against granting amnesty to 20 million illegal aliens before our borders are secured. The president continues to ignore our wishes.

He is right on one score. If the latest immigration bill is not passed, things will get worse. He will continue to ignore existing immigration laws, as he has done for six years.

Even absolutists occasionally have to earn the people's trust.

Richard Haller, Argyle

Even so, House will step up

Since President Bush is having so much difficulty pushing his immigration bill through the Senate, imagine what scant chance his bill would have surviving the House.

Compared to the more tolerant Senate, the House is like a pack of vicious, bloodthirsty wolves, just itching for the chance to sink their fangs into any immigration proposal that even remotely resembles amnesty.

Gerald Tate, Dallas

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent ... 2a47e.html
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Banned
    Love this one, sooo very true!

A woman's simple words

On June 8, Sen. John Cornyn mentioned that a woman's statement altered his view of the immigration bill.

I can confirm that the compelling statement was made to the senator, because I was at the town hall meeting, where a lady asked, "Since when did we start selling American citizenship for only $5,000?" Her question caused quite a reaction.

She's right. Our citizenship is worth way more than that. Frankly, I consider it priceless.

The moral is you never know when your heartfelt words will impact your representatives and drive change.

J. Patterson, Fort Worth

Yes the Cornyn one is the best and the !!!! truth!!!!
    Never look at another flag. Remember, that behind Government, there is your country, and that you belong to her as you do belong to your own mother. Stand by her as you would stand by your own mother

I'm kinda partial to this one.

Because his lips are moving

I keep waiting for the current President Bush to say, "Read my lips, no amnesty."

Herb Wynans, Denton
    Wynans is mocking Geo. Sr. when he said, "Read my lips, no new taxes".
    Yea, we got the taxes too. Like father, like son.

This is the article for the first letter.
    Tyler case opened schools to illegal migrants
    http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=F ... ic&t=68027

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I wrote to Jorge Bush and told him that since he is willing to sell US citizenship for $5000, clearly he values our country very cheaply.