Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

LULAC UPSET BY SENATE VOTE - AGAIN????

For Immediate Release Contact: Javier Dominguez

July 31, 2007 (202) 833-6130

senate proposal violated citizens’ constitutional rights

57 Senators Voted to Terminate Social Security Benefits of Naturalized Citizens

Washington, D.C. The League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC), the nation’s oldest and largest Hispanic civil rights organization, expresses its deep concern regarding an erroneous education amendment which would have removed Social Security benefits from naturalized citizens of the United States. The intentions of the amendment, introduced by Senator John Ensign (R-NV), targeted individuals not born in the United States by requiring them to provide documentation verifying their work status on a quarterly basis.

While the amendment to the College Cost Reduction Act (H.R. 2669) did not pass, it is utterly deplorable that 57 Senators (listed below) would vote in favor of this unreasonable proposal, merely missing its target of the mandatory 60 votes.

Not only was this proposed amendment unjust and unconstitutional, but also impractical as it required millions of naturalized citizens to accumulate evidence confirming legal employment for every quarter of every year that they worked. While undermining the principles of our constitution by discriminating against U.S. citizens, this proposal threatened to terminate Social Security benefits for all naturalized citizens, including citizen widows and orphans whose benefits would have depended on proving their deceased parent’s or spouse’s paper work.

“The fact that this amendment is almost included in the College Reduction Act, [b]a bill aimed to improving the educational opportunities for millions of Latinos is a complete slap to our face,â€

individuals not born in the United States by requiring them to provide documentation verifying their work status on a quarterly basis.
    ...the Latino/Hispanic advocacy groups just hate to be asked to provide proper paperwork...unless it is easily obtainable false and forged documents. Then, it's no problema.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Can we get social security without having the right amount of quarters documented somehow?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I'm a CITIZEN and there has to be documentation. I have to PROVE my work history and such. They just want to walk in and say "I'm Marie Gonzales....give me my benefits." Ya? Sure....be right back with check.

Yes, we have to have more quarters of work to prove than they would.

Now one question I have is I was married to a Dr. I don't understand it all so I could be missing some info. But he opened a 401 K or something of that nature for me since as a personal business owner there wasn't SS for me....as his wife. He did for employees but not for me.. But when we were divorced and when I applied for aid...they found that account...I didn't even know I had it and couldn't get the aid because of that. What he did was put it in there to protect me for retirement and did it as if he was depositing it in SS for me. I had to close that account for the funds.....loosing most of it.....so I basicly lost alot of my "retirement" benefits for that. (*Could have been an IRA.....something anyway like that.) I mean literally....he counted the amount of hours I worked and used all the tables and put in just the same amount into it as he would have if I was a regular employee into SS. Now if they can do that, then what would prompt me to open an account as a young person to plan for my retirement? You could have a really good reserve in SS and they can't take it or take it into consideration if there comes a time when you need help.......but they can if you put it into something else. I just know that was a big part of my "work history" that isn't included in my retirement anymore. Now they want to give people more that put in less time and work here?

I receive a statement once a year from Social Security, telling me how much I'd get from SS and medicare if I was to stop working. They have a record all the way back to the first job I ever had. So why would it be a problem......Unless of course your working illegally! THATS NOT ON THE RECORDS

I'm a CITIZEN and there has to be documentation. I have to PROVE my work history and such. They just want to walk in and say "I'm Marie Gonzales....give me my benefits." Ya? Sure....be right back with check.
    You got that right!!! I'm in the process of buying a new home, and if you've never done this before, you can not imaging the amount of paperwork that is involved with this little process! Seems every form that has to be filled out requires a SSN and other important information that illegals somehow mange to NOT have, yet can still get things the rest of us hard working Americans have to jump through hoops to get!!!