Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

McCollum Unveils Controversial Immigration Reform Plan

Bill McCollum unveils controversial immigration reform plan

BY CRISTINA SILVA
    ST. PETERSBURG TIMES
    Florida Attorney General Bill McCollum unveiled a proposed bill Wednesday that would require police officers to verify a suspect's immigration status during all lawful stops, detentions and arrests when reasonable suspicion exists.

``Arizona is going to want this law,'' said McCollum. ``We're better, we're stronger, we're tougher and we're fairer.''

The proposal comes at a time when McCollum is trailing in the polls behind Rick Scott in the GOP gubernatorial primary race. The primary is Aug. 24, but early voting is already underway.

Scott's campaign immediately issued a statement criticizing McCollum's ``flip-flopping'' on the controversial Arizona immigration law.

Said Jennifer Baker, Scott's campaign communications director: ``Today's immigration proposal from Bill McCollum serves as just another example of why he can't be trusted. Besides flip-flopping on his support of Arizona's legislation, the desperate career politician rushed to present a plan that on Monday he said would be coming in `a couple of weeks.' ''

``It's clear the only way to get McCollum to take any action on anything is when he's down in the polls,'' Baker said.

McCollum's proposal differs from the Arizona law in that it would allow judges to consider immigration status when setting a bond. Illegal immigrants would also face stiffer criminal sentences than legal residents who committed the same crime. Unlike the Arizona law, citizens would not be able to sue law enforcement agencies for not enforcing the law. Instead, that watchdog role would fall to the state attorney general.

Soliciting employment as an illegal immigrant would also become a crime, and Florida businesses would have to to use the federal E-Verify program to confirm their employees' immigration status.

Key parts of Arizona's controversial law were blocked by a federal judge in July. Racial profiling would be prohibited under Florida's proposed law, said McCollum. Reasonable suspicion to inquire about immigration status might include an altered driver's license or an admission of illegal residency in the country, he said.

``It's not how you look, it's not what you say,'' he said.

Detained illegal immigrants will be turned over to federal immigration officers for deportation, McCollum said.

State Rep. William Snyder of Stuart, who chairs the House Criminal and Civil Justice Policy Council, crafted the proposed legislation with McCollum.

Snyder said the law is necessary to protect illegal immigrants and to curb drug activity.

``This is the beginning of what I think will be a fairly long and sometimes emotional discussion,'' he said.

``Floridians want to see their elected officials provide leadership to the challenges of illegal aliens living in our state,'' said Snyder in a statement. ``This proposal is a significant step forward in confronting illegal immigration.''

Immigrant advocates in Florida condemned McCollom's proposed immigration law.

``Immigrant-rich Florida cannot afford a law that will create more confusion, legal challenges and expense for all Floridians,'' said Cheryl Little, executive director of the Florida Immigrant Advocacy Center. ``This bill would hurt our economy, public safety and individual rights. Why are they adding to the chaos instead of working on a realistic solution for our broken immigration system?''

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/08/11/1 ... _Container#ixzz0wKhO1n43
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    Another Globalist that will say or do anything to get elected ~ This is the same FOOL that said "We Dont need the Arizona Immigration Law Here and thats not going to Happen (Here In Florida)

He was also endorsed by Jeb Bush

That Alone should tell you to RUN AWAY
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Any candidate can write a tough looking Bill but that does not mean they would in fact push it thru our legislature once they get the Gov. job.

McCollum needs to go.

AirBorne I am trying to decide which AG candidate to vote for Kottkamp or Pam Bondi ? I think Kottkamp because he can win and I am not so sure about Bondi's ability to win. Both want the AZ law brought to FL. Holly Benson is out she Gushes over Jeb B..

Any thoughts ?
    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want,is strong enough to take everything you have"* Thomas Jefferson

Hogwash

Flip-flopper indeed...This is even worse than McCains bullcrap 180. DO NOT trust him.

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    Quote Originally Posted by USPatriot
    Any candidate can write a tough looking Bill but that does not mean they would in fact push it thru our legislature once they get the Gov. job.

McCollum needs to go.

AirBorne I am trying to decide which AG candidate to vote for Kottkamp or Pam Bondi ? I think Kottkamp because he can win and I am not so sure about Bondi's ability to win. Both want the AZ law brought to FL. Holly Benson is out she Gushes over Jeb B..

Any thoughts ?
    I am trying to figure this one out myself ...

OK I have been researching Bondi and 3 things made me decide on Kottkamp.

1. When asked about E-Verify she answered she really does not know enough about it to give an answer.

2. She switched partys sometime in the past.

3. When talking about the AZ law she seemed overly concerned about possible racial profiling so I could tell any Bill she would approve of would be a watered down version with no teeth.
    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want,is strong enough to take everything you have"* Thomas Jefferson