Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Migrant workers at war!

Migrant workers at war!

Like Cher and Barbra before him, the no-introduction-needed Mitchell Young comes out of retirement one more time to highlight a sneaky immigrant-farm-laborer amendment Senators on both sides of the aisle attempted to add to President Bush's war funding request. Young smells a conspiracy of silence on our part, but I'm afraid the mundane truth is I didn't know about this bit of trickery and would have opposed it if I had. (I say futzing around with guest worker visas is a half-measure that keeps entrepreneurs out: let everybody in!)

The proposal came from two luminaries who themselves need no introductions: Sens. Dianne Feinstein (D-California) and Larry Craig (R-Idaho), and it was dead before I even heard about it:

Democratic Sen. Robert Menendez objected to the immigrant farm labor provision, which had been added to the measure at a hearing last week by Sens. Dianne Feinstein, a Democrat, and Republican Larry Craig. It would have allowed almost 1.4 million immigrant farm workers to stay in the United States for up to five years to ease a shortage of farm workers that has left some crops rotting in the fields.

Menendez' objection also killed a measure by Sens. Barbara Mikulski, a Democrat, and Republican Judd Gregg, that would have extended an expired program to allow seasonal workers to return to the country using special visas.

A spokesman said Menendez acted because the two immigration provisions were tilted in favor of businesses while doing too little to help immigrant workers.

Attempts like this one to shoehorn domestic items into war-related bills are offensive enough, but as always the real crime is the one that's hidden in plain sight. These "emergency" supplementals, as Veronique de Rugy writes in the L.A. Times every February, are a traveshamockery that should shock the conscience and insult the intelligence of every patriot, taxpayer and other honorable American.

Posted by Tim Cavanaugh on May 20, 2008

http://opinion.latimes.com/opinionla/20 ... nesty.html
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

oh i don't know . I think must people can see the focus taken off the cost of the War bill . There are a lot of bridges we can only cross at the right time , this is one them .
    But this was in not way a "Wasted Effort." If we hadn't saddle up they dam sure would have given Feinstein her Amnesty . The Senate knows we are alive and well !
    Something that shocks me . Nobody but Roy Beck has found and written on the ID Fraud amnesty included in the same 100+ pages. This is like the Patriot Act signing . We all sign but we don't read it , then claim stupid and the American people say "Gee i've done that too !"

Mitchell Young ? What about Alipac President William Gheen and NumbersUSA President Roy Beck and of course Senator Vitter's .
    Nam vet 1967/1970 Skull & Bones can KMA .Bless our Brothers that gave their all ..It also gives me the right to Vote for Chuck Baldwin 2008 POTUS . NOW or never*