Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Movements to Get Rid of Martinez

There are 2 movements against Mel Martinez after his support of illegal immigrants getting amnesty. The fisrt group is Republicans against Martinez who are looking at him not even making the primaries.
    http://www.recallmartinez.org/

The second group has a petition to recall Senator Martinez. It is open to all Americans and not only those in Florida.
    http://www.recallmel.com/

This could prove to be a very costly error for him. I don't think he has realized that he has shot himself in the foot as he is still talking about reintroducing the immigration bill.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Thanks for those links!
    We are NOT a nation of immigrants!

Thanks, Swatchick. We will all "respond" to this "problem" in Florida which is causing our nation such a headache and contributing to the corruption of our government. George Bush bumped the excellent Republican candidate who was ahead of Mel Martinez in 2004 by getting on TV every five minutes two weeks before the election and telling everyone to "VOTE FOR MY GOOD FRIEND, MEL MARTINEZ" Like fools we fell for it and look at the problem we now have on our hands.

We need to really push the Republicans to get rid of Mel Martinez. Together , as a country we can do it.

What in the heck is wrong with this man in the White House. It's unbelievable how he had and still has all of his little elves in right in place.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Senior Member ShockedinCalifornia's Avatar
    Signed.

This is a thread that needs to be on top of the stack. Is there a way to get more attention for this most worthy cause?

Here's a little article on what happened, but I've managed to find more in depth and telling articles about Martinez(R) VS. McCollom(R) to where you can get a better idea of what happened. I would just have to search them back down.

For now here's this one. (They don't even mention GWB, only Jeb)
    http://www.pbs.org/newshour/vote2004/re ... enate.html

Here's a little more.
    http://www.nationalreview.com/miller/mi ... 060843.asp
    August 06, 2004, 8:43 a.m.
    Cassandra Bill
    Republican McCollum’s race for the Senate in Florida.

"There's one principle issue in my race," says Bill McCollum, a former congressman pursuing the GOP Senate nomination in Florida. "I'm the candidate who doesn't need on-the-job training."

But what about Mel Martinez, who was President Bush's housing secretary until resigning to run for the Senate himself? Isn't he a political veteran who has operated at the highest levels of government?

"That depends on whether Florida wants its next senator to be an expert on affordable housing or an expert on terrorism."

McCollum certainly does have that going for him — he is a bonafide expert on terrorism, having taken up the issue long before it seemed to matter. Indeed, McCollum plays a bit part in the opening pages of Richard Miniter's best-selling book Losing Bin Laden; Miniter casts him as a congressional Cassandra who warned of terrorism but was ignored by the Clinton administration (and just about everybody else, for that matter) in the 1990s.

The 60-year-old McCollum is one of just a few politicians whose stock arguably rose following September 11. And that's just what he needed, given that he was coming off a tough loss a year earlier in a race for an open Senate. Although George W. Bush carried Florida by the slightest of margins, McCollum trailed his opponent, Bill Nelson, by a couple of points. The seat, formerly held by Connie Mack, switched from R to D — and a lot of Washington Republicans felt McCollum had let them down in a contest against a lackluster rival.

"People say I ran against a weak candidate," says McCollum. "I didn't. He was a much better candidate than people realize."

Whatever the truth, McCollum is back — and he's currently leading a pack of Republicans, including Martinez, who also want the GOP Senate nomination. One recent poll showed McCollum leading the field with 23 percent, followed by Martinez at 19 percent, businessman Doug Gallagher at 15 percent, and Florida House speaker Johnnie Byrd at 8 percent. The primary falls on August 31, the second day of the Republican National Convention in New York City.

During a visit to NR's Washington office in July, McCollum clearly saw Martinez as his main rival. Earlier this year, Martinez went on a fundraising tear, collecting more campaign cash than his foes. So far, this hasn't translated into the frontrunner status that many anticipated.In the polls, McCollum has remained steadily in first, while Martinez has staked a second-place slot within striking distance of McCollum but always trailing.

Much can happen in the next couple of weeks, of course. The goal is to prevail on Election Day, not to lead the polls in the run-up to it. But right now, McCollum is about as well positioned as possible. He may very well become the GOP nominee to take on (in all probability) either education official Betty Castor or congressman Peter Deutsch.

McCollum is certainly vulnerable. Last month, he lost the National Right to Life endorsement that he had carried in previous elections. "I've never changed my views," he says. That may be true, though the issue of embryo research has achieved a new prominence in pro-life circles. "I'm not for stem-cell research that takes life," says McCollum. "I also don't think embryos should be created for research purposes. But I do think that fertilized eggs slated for destruction should be available. I don't think that's life. It's not viable. I think that's a pro-life position."

National Right to Life believes differently, and threw its support behind Byrd and Martinez.

McCollum isn't reluctant to handicap the primary election, for which there is no runoff — it's all or nothing on the last day of August. "The winner will take about 35 percent of the vote," he says. He thinks he'll finish first and Martinez second. "Gallagher has the most potential to gain. I suspect he winds up third. Byrd has hit a plateau in the high single digits, around 8 or 9 percent."

Many Washington Republicans — including, it is widely presumed, the White House — consider Martinez the better general-election candidate. McCollum maintains that's not true. "I've run statewide before," he says. "Martinez has never been in a competitive race of his own." In 1998, Martinez won election as the chairman of Orange County. McCollum says this doesn't count because it was a nonpartisan race and not competitive. In 1994, Martinez ran for lieutenant governor with Ken Connor (now of the Family Research Council); the Connor-Martinez ticket finished fifth in the GOP primary.

"I just don't follow the logic that he's more electable," says McCollum. "This year I plan on running ahead of the president."

The point I'm trying to make, and I won't keep going and getting more articles....I'll just tell you that Floridians had really chosen McCollom, he was ahead and then the Bush elves and Bush himself stepped in and derailed his lead and convinced all of us to vote for Mel Martinez and this obviously was for the purpose to put "another one of his helpers" in place.

People around the country have no clue about this scenario which went on in 2004. Americans should know because today in 2007, that event in 2004 in Florida is having a profoundly terrible effect on the USA.

At that time very significant things were happening, but of course we were all too naive and in the dark about Bush's plans......and we all,... Florida Republicans, trusted and supported Bush, so we were fooled.

Today we are not fooled anymore as to what was actually going on.

Thanks Legal, hindsight is always 20/20. I remember racing to the convention center in LV to see Bush. Again we fell all over ourselves to go see Cheney when he came here. We believed the lies. Now we will do something about it if God will hear us and it's not too late.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast