Like Tree3Likes

Thread: No More Foreign, H-1B visa, Tech Workers Needed

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

No More Foreign, H-1B visa, Tech Workers Needed

Microsoft Layoffs to Cut Up to 18,000 Jobs

By NICK WINGFIELD JULY 17, 2014

Microsoft's chief executive, Satya Nadella, signaled in a company memo last week that big organizational changes were coming. CreditRobert Galbraith/Reuters

SEATTLE — Microsoft said Thursday that it planned to eliminate up to 18,000 jobs over the next year in a shake-up intended to help the company move more quickly in the market.

The cuts are the largest in the company’s 39-year history, representing about 14 percent of its work force.

Microsoft will make the deepest cuts from the businesses it acquired from the Finnish phone maker Nokia. About 12,500 of the jobs being eliminated will come from the Nokia groups, resulting from the closing of a factory in Hungary and other changes.

That is about half the number of employees who joined Microsoft from Nokia a few months ago when it completed its acquisition of the company’s mobile business. In related news, Microsoft said it would no longer make Nokia phones based on the Android operating system, switching its low-end phones to Microsoft’s Windows Phone software.

RELATED COVERAGE

Microsoft said it would take a charge of $1.1 billion to $1.6 billion to cover severance and related costs from the layoffs over the next year.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/18/bu...8000-jobs.html
    Last edited by JohnDoe2; 07-22-2014 at 07:50 PM.
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

No more H1-b visas was my first thought when I heard the news early this morning! Would our largest employers lie to our Congress. Are'nt here laws about committing perjury to Congress? Call them in under sworn testimony!

working4change
    Sounds suspect to me given that the 1200 page senate amnesty bill had a clause that penalized companies for hiring Americans to the tune of $5000

http://www.alipac.us/f12/ted-cruz-ex...-alien-282202/

NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

He is laying off American high tech workers to be replaced with illegals which explains why he has been funding illegals. Nice don't ever by microsoft again....

1. Microsoft cutting 378 jobs in San Diego | UTSanDiego.com

www.utsandiego.com/.../microsoft-job-cuts-san-diego/
    2. U‑T San Diego
      1 day ago - Microsoft made the number of job cuts in San Diego official on Monday by informing the San Diego Workforce Partnership that 378 workers at ...
    NO AMNESTY

Quote Originally Posted by lubby View Post
    He is laying off American high tech workers to be replaced with illegals which explains why he has been funding illegals. Nice don't ever by microsoft again....
    I haven't bought a MS product in years. I'll pirate the heck out of their sh*t though. Not a company I can support with my money.