Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

No one in Brownsville Texas wants the fence ?

Why don't these main stream media idiots start telling both sides of the issue for a change? This article makes it sound like no one in Brownsville welcomes the fence could it be ? I doubt it.The crap is getting deeper and deeper.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/134319

For five generations, the Benavidez family has lived on a seven-acre plot of serene farmland near the U.S.-Mexico border west of Brownsville, Texas. They've harvested cotton and squash and raised goats and pigs. They've helped sculpt the levee that snakes across the rear of the property. They've given birth there, married there and died there. Their connection to the land runs so deep that they can't imagine parting with even a piece of it. So two weeks ago, when federal employees arrived asking to purchase a rectangular slice abutting the levee for $4,100 to make way for a border fence aimed at deterring illegal immigrants, they refused. "I don't want to scare you," Idalia Benavidez, 77, says one of the employees told her, "but whether you agree or not, the government's going to make the fence." If the Feds get their way, an 18-foot-high barrier will soon traverse the Benavidez property, cutting off their cows from a pasture south of the fence's proposed path. "It's going to be ugly," says Benavidez. Worse still, she predicts, "it's not going to work."

That mostly sums up the current sentiment along the Texas border. But the Brownsville area in particular—where a unique alliance of politicians, business leaders, farmers, environmental activists, church groups and ordinary citizens has challenged the fence—has become the epicenter of the fight. On April 28 many of those constituencies plan to air their grievances at a congressional field hearing in the city designed to examine the fence's impact. Opponents decry "the wall," as they call it, as a waste of money better spent on more border personnel and surveillance technology. They lament what they consider outsiders' misunderstanding of south Texas culture, with its Anglo-Mexican blend and its view of the Rio Grande as a meeting point rather than a dividing line. And they argue that it will crimp the economy and trample landowners' rights.

Chief among their concerns is the possibility that the fence will despoil the environment. In early April, wielding authority Congress granted him in 2005, Department of Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff waived three dozen laws that he said interfered with his ability to build the fence. Among them: the Endangered Species Act, the Clean Air Act and the Safe Drinking Water Act. Environmental groups have challenged three previous waivers, but have lost each time. Now the groups are petitioning the Supreme Court to review one of those decisions.

The fence's proposed path would slice through parts of the Lower Rio Grande Valley National Wildlife Refuge—90,000 acres of prized nature preserve that the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has been slowly buying up and restoring over the last 30 years. The refuge contains 17 endangered or threatened species, including two cats: the ocelot and the jaguarundi. It's home to 500 species of birds, 300 species of butterflies and 1,200 species of plants. And it's the only place in America where some of those birds—like the red-billed pigeon and the brown jay—can be seen. Wildlife experts fear that the fence would block river access for animals and disrupt their habitat.

Any environmental damage could have pocketbook consequences as well. Nature enthusiasts help fuel a $125 million-per-year ecotourism economy in south Texas. But some of the places that draw them may soon be walled off. For instance, a Nature Conservancy preserve east of Brownsville that's populated by stands of sabal palms and rare birds like chachalacas would wind up on the Mexican side of the fence. "We're considering the possibility of giving up this area," says project manager Sonia Najera. Up the river in Alamo, Keith Hackland, who owns a bed and breakfast that caters to bird lovers from all across the world, worries that his clientele may head elsewhere. "They might not want to go when bulldozers are ripping down the remnants of our birding forests," he says. "To a birder, that's just agony."

Worries like these have prompted clashes among government officials. Ken Merritt, a Fish and Wildlife manager who used to oversee the National Wildlife Refuge, says he struggled to get information from the Department of Homeland Security about the fence. "One week, the fence would be one place; the next, it would be somewhere else," he says. "It was just chaos … I don't think DHS is sympathetic to the wildlife corridor." But his biggest headaches came from his own agency. When he failed to approve an engineering survey for the fence, deeming it too disruptive, Fish and Wildlife's Southwest regional director, Benjamin Tuggle, "really applied the pressure for me to" approve it, says Merritt. "He made it very clear that he thought I was making decisions that were career ending." After 30 years of service, Merritt quit in January. Tuggle had his own complaints about the fence; in March, he lobbied his superiors to inform DHS that the fence wasn't "compatible" with Fish and Wildlife's mission. He says he only wanted Merritt, who had approved two other wall-related studies, to be consistent. "I can tell you unequivocally that at no time did I ever make any inference to threaten Ken Merritt's career," he says.
    We can't deport them all ? Just think of the fun we could have trying!

This would be perfect for speciaition. And as always when political agendists quote nature for something they leave out specifics and facts.

Take for example the two very different species of Squirrels in the Grand Canyon. The Abert squirrel and the Kaibab squirrel. One lives on the Northern Rim the other on the South. There is not an interuption of wildlife and migration.

Putting up a fence would actually be helpful to animals on this side of the Border to save them from rampant poaching, predation and pollution. Now when illegals abuse animals, say like smashing frogs against signs, getting high and driving around poaching desert deer in 4x4's they can only effect their own biosphere. Our side will thrive. Every species that exists on that side of the border exists on our side.

There are no wildlife corridors in existence on the US-Mexico border that pertain to terrestrial animals. Only airborn species migrate. Does that mean an animal can't end up on our side from the Mexican side from time to time? Maybe, but most lilkely not.

If we can't stop animal abuse in Mexico at least we can keep them from entering our country and killing animals here...

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    If thats the case build the fence around Brownsville, so that Brownsville is on the Mexican side

Nuff Said
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The North American Panther (Cougar) is the only animal that I know of that is endangered and migrates across that border annually. They cross all the way from California to Texas. The real question is, do they need to cross to survive and thrive?

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The North American Panther (Cougar) is the only animal that I know of that is endangered and migrates across that border annually. They cross all the way from California to Texas. The real question is, do they need to cross to survive and thrive?
    Don't know, but if they stay on the Mexican side they might provide a natural check on border jumpers.
    "Men of low degree are vanity, Men of high degree are a lie. " David

Quote Originally Posted by AirborneSapper7
    If thats the case build the fence around Brownsville, so that Brownsville is on the Mexican side

Nuff Said
    Either that, or as I always say: Build the border fence all the way up to Borwnsville, and they will be screaming for it in no time
    Serve Bush with his letter of resignation.

See you at the signing!!

Nuff Said
    Brownsville might as well be on the Mexican side. There is nothing there but Mexicans.
    Certified Member
    The Sons of the Republic of Texas

MW
    BearFlagRepublic wrote:

Either that, or as I always say: Build the border fence all the way up to Borwnsville, and they will be screaming for it in no time
    That's right, let's funnel the illegal aliens through Brownsville.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Interesting thought Captain. I would certainly think twice about an illegal crossing if I thought I might become a meal for a Cougar

Quote Originally Posted by Captainron
    Don't know, but if they stay on the Mexican side they might provide a natural check on border jumpers.
    ...I call on you in the name of Liberty, of patriotism & everything dear to the American character, to come to our aid...

William Barret Travis
    Letter From The Alamo Feb 24, 1836

Quote Originally Posted by bigtex

Nuff Said
    Brownsville might as well be on the Mexican side. There is nothing there but Mexicans.
    Both ideas sound good to me. Brownsville residents will start complaining when people start getting murdered, raped, robbed by illegal aliens running through their town.
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast