Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

NumbersUSA New Website & Info on ISP Blocking You

A little lengthy but gives you good understand of several issues.

Date: Friday 13JUN08 2:30 p.m. EDT

View our brand new website -- new tools -- new look -- same urgent mission

DEAR NUMBERSUSA FAXERS,

For the first time in seven years, we have re-designed our website. We hope you will immediately take a look:

www.NumbersUSA.com

Among the many reasons for the change, the most important is that we are in the process of creating a number of new activist tools to meet the very difficult political climate in which we expect to find ourselves next year. We need our website to be the best possible for being the nation's premier mobilization center for citizens to counteract the power of the special interests.

We have "beta-tested" the new site with several thousand of our NumbersUSA members over the last few months. We have made numerous revisions based on their feedback. We have found that with minor exceptions the new design is more friendly to some demographic groups that have been under-represented in our membership. Our re-design began as a response to years of suggestions from many of you.

But equally important, we have found that the new design preserves the features our veteran members have loved. For most of our veteran testers, the new site is at least as user-friendly as the previous one. We welcome your suggestions for continued improvements (and especially your pointing out any typos or other errors).

Here are some key changes:

No. 1: We provide a video TOUR so you can get a quick idea of what all is on the website and how to get there. This is especially helpful.

Click on the TOUR button at the top of the right-hand column.

Everything on the website is accessible from the navigation bar across the top.

We feel that we have organized the voluminous material on our website into quite logical categories. For example, Grade Cards, Profiles, contact info, legislative analysis are all under the "Congress" button.

All the information about congressional, presidential and other races are under the "Elections" button.

No. 2: I am writing a regular blog on the Home page.

Because of difficulties with ISPs blocking our Action Alerts to our members, I am going to send less analysis through emails and, instead, put it on the website so you can always see it.

With the blog, I will be providing far more analysis and commentary on immigration events than in the past, since I won't have to worry about over-filling your in-box.

But you will have to remember to come to the website on your own -- regularly.

No. 3: You can comment directly on what I and others say in the blog. And you can interact with each other on the issues.

If you are logged in as a NumbersUSA member, you will find at the end of each blog a place to add your own comments and to read those of others.

This is a moderated comment section, posting relevant submissions. You will see quite an array of comments already on previous blog posts from people who found the new website before it was announced.

The comments section is important because there is a vast amount of wisdom, passion and experience that lies beyond the staff of NumbersUSA and within the 640,000 activist faxers.

No. 4: The home page is changing daily with both blogs and news item. So, there is a reason for you to visit often -- and not wait for us to email you.

The home page contains links to the most recent and urgent actions for you to take.

But it also has the key news items about immigration activity in Congress, the Administration and elsewhere. And a link to a much larger array of news items than in the past.

I urge you to bookmark www.numbersusa.com (and consider making this the home page of your browser). Please create a routine of bringing it up daily or at least a couple of times a week -- even if you don't get an email from us.

Over the last seven months, the internet service providers have become incredibly difficult about blocking large minorities of our emailed alerts. There are all kinds of reasons for this. Many of you have noted that a lot of the people working inside the ISPs have personal and financial reasons to see that our alerts don't get through. There may be something to that, although we don't have direct evidence. The biggest problem appears to be that the ISP computers often treat us as commercial spam instead of the protected political speech and membership-requested email that we are.

We have a staffer who works full time just working with the ISPs to unblock us. But we see no chance that we can dependably reach all of you with emails as we once did.

If you are one of many people who have wondered why we were not more active over the last several months, it is not because we weren't active or weren't sending out alerts. Rather, our alerts to you were often being blocked. I'm glad you can read this one.

Thus, it is imperative to the movement for rational, sensible immigration policies that YOU make the first move every day and come to NumbersUSA.com to find out if there is an action you need -- and want -- to take.

No. 5: Every page on the website is interlinked with related pages.

When you pull up a news story, for example, you will see other things on the page that direct you to actions that may be related, to resources, studies, etc.

No. 6: The Action Buffet corkboard has been modified primarily in appearance and to make the actions dominate the page.

Many of you were fond of the news column on the left side. That is gone. But you will find expanded news replacing it on the left side of the Home page. (You can also access much of the news by clicking on the NEWS button in the left-hand column of the corkboard.)

One of the goals of the new website is to encourage all of you to make use of the website beyond the Action Buffet.

Clearly, the Action Buffet and your taking action are the most important aspects of the website. But we have learned that many of you arrive on the website on the corkboard and never leave it, not knowing that we actually have a website beyond.

No. 7: You will also notice that your personalized Fax Library is not on the corkboard.

That is because it is being greatly improved. We have never been satisfied with the technological reliability of the Fax Library. Our Tech Team assures me that a much improved library will be back on your corkboard very soon.

No. 8: At the bottom of the corkboard, you will find some fascinating running totals about your activism through NumbersUSA.

The blue-green horizontal note at the bottom shows how many faxes you have sent under your current log-in registration, as well as financial donations and other activities.

No. 9: In the left-hand column of the corkboard, you will find easy ways to ...

# ... modify your addresses, phone number and frequency of action alerts.

# ... take or modify your NumbersUSA interest survey. This is incredibly important for you to participate in faxing and phoning that is very specialized based on your occupation, religion, political affiliation, ethnicity and issue concerns.

# ... click on the Donation Progress to see the map of how well each congressional district is performing in helping us meet our minimum need for donations from 1% of our faxing membership each month.

MORE TO COME

I will be writing to you on a regular basis this summer to introduce you to new tools that will be coming on-line in our fight to end illegal immigration and reduce overall immigration to traditional and beneficial levels.

I cannot over-emphasize the importance of your coming on the website regularly and not waiting on emailed alerts from us. The only way we can beat back the special open-borders interests is if you know an action is needed.

Finally, I want to salute all the people who have worked to imagine, design, program and engineer the new website under the direction of Jim Robb, NumbersUSA Vice President, Operations:

Solomon Gifford, Project Lead
    Steve Carter, Assistant Director of Technology
    Dan Marsh, Programmer
    Josh Turcotte, Designer/Programmer
    Joe Jenkins, Web Content
    Mike Betsch, Web Content
    Charlie Fiskeaux II, Designer
    Lauren Marshall, Design Studio Coordinator
    Julie Martinez, Design Studio Coordinator
    Dave Merrell, Designer
    Suzanne Sowards-Hamm, Design Studio Coordinator
    Aaron Waldon, Designer
    Anne Manetas, NumbersUSA Deputy Director and "brand protector"
    Peter Halliday and Rich Harriman, engineering assistance from our Corning (NY) Technology Center

THANKS,
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I find this odd.Quote from the article

Because of difficulties with ISPs blocking our Action Alerts to our members, I am going to send less analysis through emails and, instead, put it on the website so you can always see it

Can these ISP be doing this on purpose?
    I..

Quote Originally Posted by dubsak20

Because of difficulties with ISPs blocking our Action Alerts to our members, I am going to send less analysis through emails and, instead, put it on the website so you can always see it

Did you read the whole thing? He said they have people who work at ISP's and have a vested interest in defeating us. NOW, if and when they can prove it, they have a huge lawsuit on their hands. I know people who said they weren't getting NumbersUSA alerts anymore and called their ISP's and they said, that the tech gave them trouble.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by Gogo

Did you read the whole thing? He said they have people who work at ISP's and have a vested interest in defeating us. NOW, if and when they can prove it, they have a huge lawsuit on their hands. I know people who said they weren't getting NumbersUSA alerts anymore and called their ISP's and they said, that the tech gave them trouble.
    No way! This is mind blowing!

I am not tech savy but every Alipac e-mail I get lately that has a topic to go to, it keeps showing this web page can't whatever.....never had that before. I don't know if that's the same as ISP or not.

NO its a glitch in the email link. I learned that from the tech at NumbersUSA when the email would come through but I would click on the link to go to the action buffet but it wouldn't let me sign in. He said, it was glitch in the link in the email. So we got it fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by crazybird
    I am not tech savy but every Alipac e-mail I get lately that has a topic to go to, it keeps showing this web page can't whatever.....never had that before. I don't know if that's the same as ISP or not.
    Please make sure you email me a note about that. We cant fix what we do not know about.

W

W, I keep getting a "This Post Does Not Exist". This has been happening for a while now. I told one of the moderators (dont remember who). But it still happens about one of every 5 or so notices...

Quote Originally Posted by SicNTiredInSoCal

1. Also known as (a.k.a.) 'censorship'. Hello Orwellian reality.
    The messages being transmitted are legal confidential political speech protected by US law. Interference with such thing(s) is a VERY BIG deal - even *if* the people messing with them don't understand such thing.
    Don't at all for a minute, think that there aren't powerful people that have a vested interest (read $$$) in allowing the transparent flow of people and good/services across national borders.

2. One of the best things you can do to counteract such thing, is to set up a secondary email account to use to send/receive to orgs such as Numbers.
    (ex. you might have AOL acct, then go to Yahoo and create an account there, and then use that to receive Numbers alerts)

3. For the reasons identified above it is a good idea to re-port the alerts here so that people that might have problems receiving them can at least be made aware of them here by an alternate method.

4. Finally, also by my experience, some of the people in the IT/software/computer field are some of the most hardcore economic libertarians I have ever met. I am not at all surprised by the accusation of ISPs/network techs/etc intentionally interrupting political email messages.
    This needs to be investigated fully by the government.

...My 0.02 cents....

Quote Originally Posted by PhredE
    Quote Originally Posted by SicNTiredInSoCal

1. Also known as (a.k.a.) 'censorship'. Hello Orwellian reality.
    The messages being transmitted are legal confidential political speech protected by US law. Interference with such thing(s) is a VERY BIG deal - even *if* the people messing with them don't understand such thing.
    Don't at all for a minute, think that there aren't powerful people that have a vested interest (read $$$) in allowing the transparent flow of people and good/services across national borders.

2. One of the best things you can do to counteract such thing, is to set up a secondary email account to use to send/receive to orgs such as Numbers.
    (ex. you might have AOL acct, then go to Yahoo and create an account there, and then use that to receive Numbers alerts)

3. For the reasons identified above it is a good idea to re-port the alerts here so that people that might have problems receiving them can at least be made aware of them here by an alternate method.

4. Finally, also by my experience, some of the people in the IT/software/computer field are some of the most hardcore economic libertarians I have ever met. I am not at all surprised by the accusation of ISPs/network techs/etc intentionally interrupting political email messages.
    This needs to be investigated fully by the government.

...My 0.02 cents....

Here...I'll modify the above with my response...

2. One of the best things you can do to counteract such a thing is to:

NOT TO REPOST an urban legend or unsourced article that has been posted on ALIPAC before. WHY? Because when you do so - people all over again send it off to others with the subject heading something along the lines of "Look what I just got from ALIPAC!!!".

Of course, the ISP tired of seeing the same stuff flooding their email servers containing the same urban legend or unsourced article multiplied 10X overs per chain mail report it as SPAM to over 144 spam blocking services. (visit mxtoolbox.com to get and idea...).

Result is...some folks start reporting that they are not reporting email from ALIPAC...and of course...ad nasuem for FAIR, NumbersUSA, etc...because someone in creating an email put THEIR names in the subject or message body.

Funny thing is - it's usually your OWN ISP that is stopping it - because they are trying to preserve their backbone bandwidth to proivde YOU with minimal service guarantees.

Are their some conspirators out there in ISPs? Probably...but I'll submit that most of the damage is done by US when we don't stop to think about what we are doing when we react to an unsourced ingenious article or someone elses suggestion for an action that amounts to a chain letter.

How do I know this, because I have to explain the above to customers now and then and fight the battle for them to get them unblocked...it takes awhile and can be a lot of work.

In regards to ALIPAC, Jean yesterday locked a thread containing a known urban legend - and referenced snopes.com. A lot of the stuff on snopes.com is used many ISPs mail filters as content that is to be treated as spam and of course they look for any indication as to who the DNS based source was - and report to a blocking service.

Thank you for catching that one Jean...

=
    Not serious about illegals, outsourcing and insourcing? Wait until magicians pull illegals out of their hats...