Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Obama arrives in Afghanistan

Barack Obama is seen being photographed during a meeting with U.S. military personnel in Afghanistan.
    It's the candidate's first visit to the violence-torn nation, his first stop on a war-zone tour that will also take him to Iraq.

By Michael Muskal, Peter Nicholas and M. Karim Faiez, Los Angeles Times staff writers
    3:15 AM PDT, July 19, 2008
    KABUL, Afghanistan -- Democrat Barack Obama arrived today in Afghanistan on his first overseas trip since he began his successful run for his party's presidential nomination.

The trip, which is expected to include stops in Iraq, Israel, the West Bank and three European capitals, is the centerpiece of Obama's efforts to focus his presidential campaign on foreign policy issues, considered an area of strength for Republican rival John McCain.

In the Afghan capital, where constant power cuts limit people's access to radio and television news reports, many Afghans were unaware of Obama's lightning visit. The presumptive Democratic nominee had caused a stir with remarks this month about the struggles of the government of President Hamid Karzai.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    FOR THE RECORD:
    Obama video: A video that was posted earlier with this story was described as coming from Sen. Barack Obama's current visit to Kuwait. It was file video of an earlier visit.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I think the Karzai government has not gotten out of the bunker and helped to organize Afghanistan and [the] government, the judiciary, police forces, in ways that would give people confidence," Obama told CNN last week.

Still, there was considerable enthusiasm at the prospect of a change in the American administration. Many Afghans, while grateful for the U.S.-led invasion more than six years ago that drove the Taliban from power, are disappointed that the country remains violent and poor.

"He has good ideas about Afghanistan, and I hope he becomes the U.S. president," said university student Hafeez Mohammad Sultani, 23. "He is young and full of energy."

Others were more skeptical.

"Bush couldn't provide security in Afghanistan, so that will be difficult for Obama too," said telecommunications worker Shams ul-Rahman, 38. "This is a very big challenge for America -- maybe there will be some changes in the way Obama is thinking about Afghanistan."

In a reminder of the violence that has already killed hundreds of Afghans this year, police in southern Afghanistan said a suicide blast in Kandahar province today killed four policemen and wounded two other people. Another suicide bomber struck a police checkpoint outside Kandahar city, close to NATO's main base in southern Afghanistan, authorities said. There was no immediate word on casualties.

In his war-zone tour, Obama is expected to discuss security and foreign policy with U.S. military and diplomatic officials.

The candidate was accompanied by Sen. Jack Reed (D-R.I.), a senior member of the armed services committee, and Sen. Chuck Hagel (R-Neb.), a Vietnam veteran who like Obama opposes the Iraq war.

Both senators are considered possible appointees in an Obama administration. Recent polls show that most Americans see McCain, a Vietnam War prisoner and member of the Senate Armed Services Committee, as the candidate more experienced in foreign policy.

In response, Obama has been trying to burnish his foreign policy credentials. In speeches and opinion pieces, Obama has argued that invading Iraq was a mistake, that Iraqi officials also favor a timetable for U.S. troop withdrawal and that Afghanistan is the real front in the war on terrorism.

The Illinois senator has said the United States should withdraw one or two combat brigades a month from Iraq, depending on conditions, and shift those resources to fighting Al Qaeda and the Taliban in Afghanistan. He has called for adding two combat brigades to the U.S. and NATO presence in Afghanistan.

McCain, his surrogates and campaign have attacked Obama's plans and opposed any troop withdrawal timetable. They have also berated Obama for opposing the surge of U.S. troops in Iraq, arguing that the additional forces have helped stabilize the country.

The McCain camp has also said that it made no sense to call for troops to leave Iraq before discussing the situation with military commanders and have noted that Obama had not visited Iraq recently and had never been in Afghanistan.

On Afghanistan, McCain has called for sending three more combat brigades, but he has not said whether all of those soldiers would be from the United States. The likely Republican presidential nominee has also called for a unified command to more efficiently direct U.S. and NATO troops and the appointment of a "czar" in Washington to help coordinate Afghanistan war efforts.

For weeks, the McCain campaign has criticized Obama for not having visited the war areas. At a fundraising stop in Michigan, the Arizona Republican noted that Obama and other senators were expected in Iraq shortly.

"I am sure that Sen. Obama is going to arrive in Baghdad in a much, much safer and secure environment than the one that he would've encountered before we started the surge," McCain said.

As he has campaigned this week, McCain said the surge was working and that his opponent's foreign policy plan could jeopardize progress in Iraq.

"Sen. Obama now has interesting things to say about Iraq. He said the surge would not succeed. It is. He said that we had to have dates for withdrawal. He said as recently as a short time ago that the surge had not succeeded or was not succeeding. It has succeeded, and if we continue, I am confident we will win this war. I have no doubt about it, and to somehow disconnect it from Afghanistan again shows incredible naivete."

Republicans have also attacked Obama for never holding a hearing on NATO's mission in Afghanistan. Obama is chairman of the foreign relations committee's subcommittee on European affairs. The full foreign relations committee has held hearings on Afghanistan.

Obama is scheduled to visit the Mideast and Europe in what will likely become a major media event with television news anchors covering each stop as though Obama were a visiting head of state. Obama was also expected to meet with Israeli officials and Palestinian leaders on the West Bank and will visit Jordan.

Michael.muskal@latimes.com Peter.nicholas@latimes.com

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld ... 2559.story
    "Distrust and caution are the parents of security."
    Benjamin Franklin

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Travel Time
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Are we the tax-payers or the Democratic National Party paying for this 'over seas' campaign and all the security this trip entails. He is running for president of the United States--not the world.

A trip doesn't give one foreign relations experience--even if one meets a few foreign heads of states over dinner, have photo ops or greeting ceremonies.
    "Distrust and caution are the parents of security."
    Benjamin Franklin

{CORRECTION}
    OBAMA STAYS IN AFGHANISTAN AND NEVER RETURNS TO THE US

Gosh that feels good. Is this moron running for the President of the US or the World President? Well with his globe trotting, that is not the way to win American voters. The last time I checked ...the American voters are located in the United States.

The headlines should actually read "Obama campaigns in Afganistan."
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

I also cannot remember presidential candidates globe trotting all over when they should be HERE, campaigning and communicating with the AMerican people during the days leading up to the election.

I realize there is a lot going on overseas, but seriously, whose paying for all these trips? Why is he so presumptive to be speaking with the leaders, the generals, the military, etc -- he hasn't even been voted in yet!

Just takes nerve, I guess, and ego -- stuff this idiot has by the load.

Quote Originally Posted by jjmm
    I also cannot remember presidential candidates globe trotting all over when they should be HERE, campaigning and communicating with the AMerican people during the days leading up to the election.

I realize there is a lot going on overseas, but seriously, whose paying for all these trips? Why is he so presumptive to be speaking with the leaders, the generals, the military, etc -- he hasn't even been voted in yet!

Just takes nerve, I guess, and ego -- stuff this idiot has by the load.
    I said the exact same thing jimm. There has never been a Presidential race that I can remember that candidates went to foreign countries. There's something very unseemly about it.

I am really glad the young afghani likes obama and hopes he is our next president ,I wonder if obama is over there handing out iou's for green cards.
    We can't deport them all ? Just think of the fun we could have trying!

Barack Hussein Obama is visiting family and friends at the expense of the American government.

DOES HE WANT TO BE PRESIDENT OF AFGHANISTAN OR AMERICA?
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Ok, so let me think would I rather have Muslims or Latinos over taking our country??? I say neither !!! But I guess either way we are doomed. They both hate us and want us dead
    Every immigrant who comes here should be required within five years to learn English or leave the country.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast