Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Obama's Immigration Cynicism

He'll still write a lawless deportation rule—but not until after November.

Sept. 7, 2014 5:32 p.m. ET

So President Obama says he still plans to unilaterally rewrite immigration law—but not until after the election so he can spare Democrats in Congress from the wrath of voters for doing so. And he wonders why Americans are cynical about politics?

White House leakers are saying that Mr. Obama wants to fulfill his June pledge to issue a lawless regulation limiting deportations for millions of illegal immigrants. But he has decided to bow to incumbent Democrats who fear a political backlash that could hand Republicans Senate control in November. Mark Pryor in Arkansas, Jeanne Shaheen in New Hampshire and even Al Franken, the Minnesota hyper-liberal, have begged Mr. Obama to delay.

President Barack Obama Associated Press

"And you know, the truth of the matter is—is that the politics did shift midsummer because of that problem," Mr. Obama said on NBC's "Meet the Press" on Sunday, referring to the rush of Central American children seeking U.S. asylum at the border. "I want to spend some time, even as we're getting all our ducks in a row for the executive action, I also want to make sure that the public understands why we're doing this, why it's the right thing for the American people, why it's the right thing for the American economy."

He added: "And what I want to do is, when I take executive action, I want to make sure that it's sustainable."

A one-man diktat timed to avoid democratic accountability is the opposite of sustainable. It is guaranteed to promote more political strife and polarization. And it will make a bipartisan compromise on immigration less likely by playing into the hands of the GOP restrictionists.

Given Mr. Obama's track record, that may be his intention. In 2012 he unilaterally rewrote the law to block deportations of immigrants who were brought here illegally as children through no fault of their own. He then used the issue against the flat-footed Mitt Romney. But Mr. Obama's executive action made it harder for pro-immigration Republicans in this Congress to ratify even that small reform because conservatives argued that Mr. Obama would refuse to obey any immigration enforcement they passed along with it.

Mr. Obama may be trying something similar now with a goal of electing a Democratic successor in 2016. His delay might spare red-state Democrats from voter accountability. But his unilateral action after November would further inflame the restrictionist right, make a bipartisan compromise less likely no matter which party controls the Senate next year, and divide Republicans over how to handle millions of illegal immigrants who Mr. Obama has decreed can stay.

These columns supported generous immigration long before Mr. Obama was born, and we have continued to do so throughout his Presidency despite the restrictionist turn on much of the right. But the way to overcome such political opposition is by building a bipartisan coalition of the kind that has passed nearly all durable American legislation.

Mr. Obama seems incapable of such persuasion and compromise. He was able to pass his stimulus and ObamaCare bills only because he had a rare Democratic supermajority, but in the process he caused a backlash that helped Republicans pick up a modern record of 63 House seats in 2010. He has since sunk ever-deeper into his liberal foxhole. The result has been a second term without a notable domestic accomplishment.

It's hard to remember now, but this is the same man who ran for office in 2008 promising a new era of political comity. If he follows through on his immigration ploy, he will leave behind a country even more polarized and cynical.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/obama...ism-1410125541
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Banned

Obama Blames Immigration Crisis and Delays in Reform on... Republicans - Eagle Rising

Obama Blames Immigration Crisis and Delays in Reform on... Republicans

By Onan Coca / 8 September 2014

We must be living in Bizarre World.
    On Sunday, in an exclusive interview with his favorite cheerleader, Chuck Todd of NBC, President Obama said that the immigration crisis has forced the Democrats to back off on immigration reform. What he meant to say was that the flood of illegal immigrants crossing our border had started to wake up Americans to the dangers of illegal immigration and now Democrats could not act unilaterally to give them amnesty because it would hurt their chances in the next election.
    The President blames the illegals – when in reality – all of the blame lays at the feet of the Democrat Party and the White House. The flow of illegal immigrants became a tsunami when President Obama’s Justice Department, under Attorney General Eric Holder, made it clear that they would no longer enforce our immigration laws. Cue “immigration crisis.” So sure, it’s the illegals fault for flooding our borders… but the Democrats created the perfect conditions for this mess. They practically begged for it to happen.
    Obama’s stuttering platitudes notwithstanding, this mess is his fault.

video at link below

NBC News even passed along a note from the White House that the President would indeed delay immigration reform until after the November elections. And their reason is astounding… it’s the Republicans fault!
    “The reality the President has had to weigh is that we're in the midst of the political season, and because of the Republicans' extreme politicization of this issue, the President believes it would be harmful to the policy itself and to the long-term prospects for comprehensive immigration reform to announce administrative action before the elections,” a White House official said.
    And yet when Todd asked the President about criticism that his decision to hold off Executive Action on immigration reform was purely political… Obama demurred.
    “What I'm saying is that I'm going to act because it's the right thing for the country, but it's going to be more sustainable and more effective if the public understands what the facts are on immigration, what we've done on unaccompanied children, and why it's necessary.”

“Politics… what politics. I’m just not going to give an Executive Order on amnesty because when I do stuff it’s because it’s the right thing to do. Which is why I’ve been threatening to do it for months and now I’m not going to… but I will after the elections… understand?”
    It’s disgusting how the media allows Democrats to spin every issue, every problem, every criticism into “it’s the Republicans fault.” If a Republican politician went on the air with Todd, he would press them on their answer… not so with President Obama. The “immigration crisis” is a mess of the Democrats own making, and now in an attempt to avoid being held responsible, they’ll delay their terrible idea until after the election – just like they did with Obamacare in 2012.
    So voters, will you let Obama and the Democrats get away with their malfeasance again? I sure hope not. Let’s hold them accountable for the mess they’ve made.

Read more at http://eaglerising.com/8499/obama-bl...PgYkckjUA2K.99
    Last edited by kathyet2; 09-08-2014 at 12:45 PM.

Banned
    President Obama's Thoroughly Tawdry Executive Action Delay on Immigration

By Stanley Renshon, September 8, 2014

Well, its official.
    Cueing up speculation, anticipation, and expectation, the president announced to reporters at the end of his recent NATO summit that he had received recommendations on his immigration executive order from the Department of Homeland Security and the Department of Justice and that, "I suspect that on my flight back, this'll be part of my reading, taking a look at some of the specifics that we've looked at. And I'll be making an announcement soon."
    That followed a June 30 Rose Garden appearance in which the president vowed "to issue broad directives to overhaul the immigration system soon after summer's end."
    No he won't.
    The rational is not hard to discern, although it is not the one that the administration provided. According to "a White House official," "The reality the president has had to weigh is that we're in the midst of the political season, and because of the Republicans' extreme politicization of this issue, the president believes it would be harmful to the policy itself and to the long-term prospects for comprehensive immigration reform to announce administrative action before the elections."
    Right. Sure. Of course announcing a major amnesty by executive order right after the November elections will do a great deal to further the cause of "comprehensive immigration reform".
    As anyone whose brain is in working order knows, "Senate Democrats have warned that any bold executive action ran the risk of upending the chances of several Democratic incumbents running for reelection in southern states, where Obama is unpopular and the issue of immigration reform isn't as urgent." And any hope the president has not to lose political control of the Senate is a step the president will take, even if it means alienating his Hispanic and progressive allies once again.
    Embarrassingly, the president's narrative shills over at Politico reported this story as follows: "More top Democrats are pressuring President Barack Obama to slow down on immigration reform, further diminishing the chances that he'll take sweeping administrative action before Election Day."
    Yes, that's right, "sweeping administrative action" now equals "immigration reform."
    Or at least it appears to for the two reporters, Carrie Budoff Brown and Anna Palmer, who wrote the story. In so characterizing the president's controversial and legitimately debatable promised actions that bypass Congress' historic and constitutional role in setting immigration policy as "reform", they reveal a lack of substance and perspective along with serving as a thoughtless conduit for Democratic spin.
    At some point, if they continue writing about this story, they may wish to acquaint themselves with Article 1, Section 8 of the Constitution, the 14th Amendment, and successive national immigration laws passed by both houses of Congress beginning in 1790 and continuing through 1990 (The Immigration Act of 1990) and beyond.
    The president's calculations are clear. He anticipates that when he does announce his new immigration executive actions, they will be sweeping enough to get his immigration allies to agree it was worth the wait. That almost certainly requires policies that will most likely affect millions, and will be enormously controversial — not only to Republicans, but to ordinary Americans as well.
    The question is whether in acting on this calculation the president has once again outsmarted himself.
    Next: Another Case of Immigration Self-Sabotage by "the Smartest Guy Ever to Become President"?

http://cis.org/renshon/president-oba...ay-immigration

In this story you should be fully forthcoming, 1986 politicians and their amnesty originally set this in motion. It is just not only the kettle and the pot, everything in the kitchen is black on this one.

Even my House Representative, who has no general election opponent, has had his Grade card by NumbersUSA reduced to a D+ from an A- in less than a year.

Campaign promises mean little to nothing, but large contributions dictate! Now, our founders would know how this happened, because the voters DID NOT avail themselves of VOTERS Constitutional powers!

Banned
    Feinstein: If Obama Acts Unilaterally on Immigration, It ‘Will Be Challenged’

Sen. Dianne Feinstein, the chairman of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence, said on CNN’s “State of the Union” on Sunday, that President Barack Obama bypasses Congress and takes unilateral action on immigration “it would be legally…

Feinstein: If Obama Acts Unilaterally on Immigration, It ‘Will Be Challenged’

September 8, 2014 - 10:47 AM

By Terence P. Jeffrey
    Subscribe to Terence P. Jeffrey RSS

Senate Intelligence Chair Dianne Feinstein (D.-Calif.)

(CNSNews.com) - Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D.-Calif.), the chairman of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence, said on CNN’s “State of the Union” on Sunday that if President Barack Obama bypasses Congress and takes unilateral action on immigration “it would be legally challenged.”
    On Friday, at a press conference in Wales, Obama said that if Congress did not pass the sort of immigration reform he wants, he would take unilateral action that would include allowing foreign nationals now illegally in the United States to “be legal.”
    “What I’m unequivocal about is that we need immigration reform; that my overriding preference is to see Congress act,” said Obama. “We had bipartisan action in the Senate. The House Republicans have sat on it for over a year. That has damaged the economy, it has held America back. It is a mistake. Andin the absence of congressional action, I intend to take action tomake sure that we’re putting more resources on the border, that we’re upgrading how we process these cases, and that we find a way to encourage legal immigration and give people some path so that they can start paying taxes and pay a fine and learn English and be able to not look over their shoulder but be legal, since they’ve been living here for quite some time.”

video at this link
    http://www.mrctv.org/videos/feinstei...-be-challenged

The next day, the Associated Press reported, citing unnamed White House officials, that Obama had decided to put off taking unilateral executive action until after the mid-term elections. On NBC’s “Meet the Press” on Sunday, Obama said the he was not delaying unilateral action because he was worried about the impact it might have on the midterm elections but because he wanted to “make sure the T’s are crossed and the I’s dotted” and that, in the wake of the surge of unaccompanied children who came across the border this summer, people understand why the action he is contemplating is necessary.
    “Not only do I want to make sure that the T’s are crossed and the I’s are dotted. But here is the other thing, Chuck, and I`m being honest now, about the politics of it,” Obama told “Meet the Press” host Chuck Todd. “This problem with unaccompanied children that we saw a couple weeks ago, where you had from Central America a surge of kids who were showing up at the border got a lot of attention, and a lot of Americans started thinking, we’ve got this immigration crisis on our hands. And what I want to do is, when I take executive action, I want to make sure that it’s sustainable.”
    “What I`m saying,” Obama said a moment later, “is that I’m going to act because it’s the right thing for the country, but it’s going to be more sustainable and more effective if the public understands what the facts are on immigration, what we`ve done on unaccompanied children and why it`s necessary.”
    On CNN’s “State of the Union” on Sunday, host Candy Crowley asked Sen. Feinstein if Obama damaged his credibility with the Latino community by delaying executive action on immigration.
    “Well, I have no knowledge of what he can do legally under an executive order,” said Feinstein. “I also believe it would be legally challenged. The Senate has spent, under the leadership of Pat Leahy, the chairman of the Judiciary Committee, literally months on a bill, a comprehensive bill, 100 amendments, week after week after week. It is a good bill.
    “All the House would have to do is pass one part of that bill,” said Feinstein. “We could conference it, work out the differences, and we would have an immigration bill which would be strong.”
    Crowley followed up: “But the president says, look, I'm going to do this after the election. Politics are at play here, yes? Can we state the obvious?”
    “Well,” said Feinstein, “I’m of the opinion that the way this should be done is legislatively, because anything else will be challenged, and probably will not be nearly the bill that is actually needed to solve the problems.”

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/...ion-it-will-be

Obama Says He Will Unilaterally Legalize Illegal Aliens

September 6, 2014 - 12:14 PM

By Terence P. Jeffrey

President Barack Obama speaks at a news conference at the NATO summit at Celtic Manor, Newport, Wales, Friday, Sept. 5, 2014. (AP Photo/Charles Dharapak)

(CNSNews.com) - President Barack Obama said in a press conference in Wales on Friday afternoon that although his "preference is to see Congress act," he intends to take unilateral action to give illegal aliens “some path” to “be legal” if Congress does not enact the sort immigration legislation he wants.
    The Associated Press reported on Saturday that unnamed White House officials had told the news organization that Obama would wait until after the midterm elections to make his move on immigration.
    The Constitution of the United States gives Congress—not the Executive--authority over immigration. Article 1, Section 8 of the Constitution says: “Congress shall have power…to establish a uniform rule of naturalization.”
    The president announced his intention to unilaterally grant immigration lawbreakers living illegally in the United States “some path…to be legal” in a wordy, multipronged answer to a reporter’s question.

video at this link
    http://www.mrctv.org/videos/obama-sa...illegal-aliens

Here is the verbatim transcript of the reporter’s question and the president’s answer, as posted by the White House:

Colleen Nelson, Wall Street Journal: “Thank you, Mr. President. Some say that Democrats who are facing tough races in November have asked you to delay action on immigration. How have the concerns of other Democrats influenced your thinking? And do you see any downside at this point to delaying until after the election?”
    President Obama: “I have to tell you that this week I’ve been pretty busy, focused on Ukraine and focused on ISIL and focused on making sure that NATO is boosting its commitments, and following through on what’s necessary to meet 21st century challenges.
    “Jeh Johnson and Eric Holder have begun to provide me some of their proposals and recommendations. I’ll be reviewing them. And my expectation is that fairly soon I’ll be considering what the next steps are.
    “What I’m unequivocal about is that we need immigration reform; that my overriding preference is to see Congress act. We had bipartisan action in the Senate. The House Republicans have sat on it for over a year. That has damaged the economy, it has held America back. It is a mistake. And in the absence of congressional action, I intend to take action to make sure that we’re putting more resources on the border, that we’re upgrading how we process these cases, and that we find a way to encourage legal immigration and give people some path so that they can start paying taxes and pay a fine and learn English and be able to not look over their shoulder but be legal, since they’ve been living here for quite some time.
    “So I suspect that on my flight back this will be part of my reading, taking a look at some of the specifics that we’ve looked at. And I’ll be making an announcement soon.
    “But I want to be very clear: My intention is, in the absence of action by Congress, I’m going to do what I can do within the legal constraints of my office--because it’s the right thing to do for the country. Thank you very much, people of Wales. I had a wonderful time.”
    On Saturday morning, the Associated Press published a story reporting that White House official were saying that Obama would delay unilateral action on immigration until after the midterm elections.
    “Two White House officials said Obama concluded that circumventing Congress through executive actions on immigration during the campaign would politicize the issue and hurt future efforts to pass a broad overhaul,” the AP reported.
    “The officials, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss the president's decision before it was announced, said Obama made his decision Friday as he returned to Washington from a NATO summit in Wales,” said the AP.
    “The officials said Obama had no specific timeline to act, but that he still would take his executive steps before the end of the year,” the AP said.
    “White House officials said aides realized that if Obama's immigration action was deemed responsible for Democratic losses this year, it could hurt any attempt to pass a broad overhaul later on,” said the AP.
    The Pew Research Center has estimated that there were 11.3 million illegal aliens in the United States as of March 2013.

Obama Says He Will Unilaterally Legalize Illegal Aliens

Article

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/...illegal-aliens