Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

O'Reilly vs. McCain on immigration

O'Reilly vs. McCain on immigration
    When John McCain launched his Spanish-language website earlier this week, I commented that immigration would be a tough issue for him during the general election (and possibly problematicfor Democrats too).

Even Bill O'Reilly gave him a gentle jab when McCain appeared on his show yesterday. Here's an excerpt of the interview from Fox:

O'REILLY: I know. All right, the issue that's hurt you the most among conservatives is the immigration issue. You know that? In fact, you and I had a nice chat in May of 2001. I don't know if you remember that.

MCCAIN: I tried to forget it.

(A quick summary for Opinion L.A. readers who have forgotten: O'Reilly said he wanted troops on the border; McCain said he didn't. Repeat several times, with McCain getting fewer and fewer words in and O'Reilly getting louder and mentioning the Mexican government's handing out "fanny packs" to border-crossers.)

O'Reilly moves to the current immigration controversy of choice -- so-called sanctuary cities:

O'REILLY: OK. I hammered you. I hammered you. I told you you've got to crack down on the border. Your own state is getting overrun. I was right. Will you concede that?

MCCAIN: I will concede that the American people want the border secured first.

O'REILLY: OK, but Arizona, your home state, has been punished by rampant illegal immigration, economically, socially. In Maricopa County now, they're cracking down, probably too much, but the people are furious.

Now my question is this. It's a simple question. I asked this to Hillary Clinton as well. Sanctuary cities — San Francisco, Los Angeles, and on and on. Phoenix, no longer. The mayor changed — are harboring criminal illegal aliens, you know? There was an 18-year-old high school football star, whose mother is serving in Iraq as a sergeant, murdered by a criminal illegal alien with a long rap sheet. Let out of the L.A. County jail. ICE was never informed. The next president, senator, has to crack down on the sanctuary cities. Will you?

(O'Reilly misrepresents the situation -- here's the editorial board's explanation.)

MCCAIN: Obviously, I don't approve or would oppose sanctuary cities, but again, it's a larger problem. And that is our failure to carry out a federal responsibility to enact immigration reform. That means securing our borders first, a temporary-worker program, which we need. It is associated with tamperproof biometric documents. Anyone who doesn't have that is prosecuted.

O'REILLY: Can't work.

MCCAIN: It works.

O'REILLY: OK.

MCCAIN: And third of all, to address the issue of the 12 million people.

O'REILLY: Health insurance, and again, it is — here's the folks. They're going, I can't afford to go to the doctor.

O'Reilly went easy. His conciliatory "OK," and the quick switch to health insurance (and mocking Barack Obama's healthcare plan), is more evidence that conservatives don't want to touch immigration when it comes to their canddiate.

McCain, nonetheless, does a decent job standing his ground on a guest worker program, considering that appearing easy on illegal immigrants won't endear him to conservatives (especially when he does it on TV with O'Reilly, rather than at a Texas border town hall).

And despite McCain's moving closer to his former stance, he's still not as liberal as Obama on the point: the Democratic candidate supports drivers licenses for illegal immigrants. Hillary Clinton stopped short of that, too.

Posted by Swati Pandey on May 9, 2008 in Attaboys & Raspberries , Bizarre Theories , Campaign 2008 , Immigration , Politicians | Permalink

Comments
    Proof that God does not love America : Obama, Clinton and McCain. All three are happy to see America over run by illegal immigrants. All three want them to have health care and work permits and drivers licenses.
    America is doomed.

Posted by: wgberger | May 09, 2008 at 07:45 PM

http://opinion.latimes.com/opinionla/20 ... -mcca.html
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Sounds like McCain wants another "guest" worker program simultaneously with "securing the borders first."

Memo to McCain: the American people just don't want the borders secured first, they want the borders secured period, with no form of any amnesty.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Re: O'Reilly vs. McCain on immigration

Quote Originally Posted by jean
    MCCAIN: Obviously, I don't approve or would oppose sanctuary cities, but again, it's a larger problem. And that is our failure to carry out a federal responsibility to enact immigration reform. That means securing our borders first, a temporary-worker program, which we need. It is associated with tamperproof biometric documents. Anyone who doesn't have that is prosecuted.

Way to play hardball Bill!!!

He REALLY showed him!!
    Serve Bush with his letter of resignation.

See you at the signing!!

Re: O'Reilly vs. McCain on immigration

Quote Originally Posted by BearFlagRepublic
    Quote Originally Posted by jean

Way to play hardball Bill!!!

He REALLY showed him!!
    Ha ha yes!

O'Reilly has the mannerisms of a used car salesman with a little late night product "paid for advertising" thrown in. The other part that was telling was this little snide open borders comment here:

O'REILLY: OK, but Arizona, your home state, has been punished by rampant illegal immigration, economically, socially. In Maricopa County now, they're cracking down, probably too much, but the people are furious.
    What does he mean too much? How can you enforce the law too much? How does that work? See it is shit like this that really ticks me off with this clown. How is it possible to enforce existing law too much? I am sick of this warped, snide and cowardly broken thinking. What a ridiculous spin.

These radio talk show hosts who want for those who are opposed to illegal immigration to turn around and vote for McCain after the McCain/Kennedy Shamnesty Bill SHOULD KNOW that they are going to have to nail him down to his EXACT plans and intentions in the light of day and in public regarding this problem or none of us are going to pay any attention.

If they (pro-McCain talk show hosts) want to have any chance of making any progress with millions of voters then they are going to have to hold his feet to the fire and not give in like this.

They cannot let him cut and run on this issue and they need to make him SPELL OUT his intentions on this issue in PLAIN ENGLISH.

No more one liners for an answer. No one sentence answers. We want paragraphs directly out of his mouth with us watching and listening.
    Otherwise, they're just spinning their wheels.....AND Obama will be the next president.

It's their choice. It's his choice. And THEN on election day it will become OUR CHOICE.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

MW
    Populist wrote:

Memo to McCain: the American people just don't want the borders secured first, they want the borders secured period, with no form of any amnesty.
    You're right, Populist! The border should already be secured, and our current laws should be enforced without any discussion of amnesty or guest worker programs! We're in the right on this and there should be no compromise!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I can't trust McCain even if he say "I will get rid of all the illegal aliens"

Here is another reason why I can't stand him. Let me know when you don't mind paying more than $6.00 per gallon coming soon.

O'REILLY: You voted against ANWR drilling. You voted against ANWR

MCCAIN: Yes, and I'll vote against drilling if they want to drill in the Grand Canyon, and I'll vote against it if they want to drill in the Everglades. And I will try to make it more attractive for Florida and California and other states to have drilling off of their coasts, but I'm not going to force them to because...

O'REILLY: But no one lives in ANWR.

MCCAIN: No, it's pristine beauty.

O'REILLY: So what? Who sees it?

MCCAIN: Well, all I do is believe that we have to preserve some of the great natural treasures of this earth...

O'REILLY: In the Arctic Circle?

MCCAIN: ...no matter where they are, my friend. And I...

O'REILLY: You know, a lot of people aren't going to like that.

MCCAIN: I know a lot of people don't like it, but I am also an environmentalist. And so was Teddy Roosevelt, my hero. And I believe that there are just some things that you have to...

O'REILLY: Hillary Clinton cited Teddy Roosevelt, too.

MCCAIN: Well...

O'REILLY: He's popular.

MCCAIN: He happened to be a Republican as well.

AE

I saw this and have to turn it off, it made my blood boil. I emailed the jerk and told him off with his comments about what the American people want in quotes, told him WE do not want comprehensive immigration reform, only greedy employers and corrupt politicians do.
    “In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot.â€

Quote Originally Posted by MW
    Populist wrote:

You're right, Populist! The border should already be secured, and our current laws should be enforced without any discussion of amnesty or guest worker programs! We're in the right on this and there should be no compromise!
    Laura Ingraham hit on this this morning, disgusted about how McCain "concedes" that Americans want border security "first," when in fact the message from the huge CIR battle last summer was that Americans want border security and no amnesty after border security.

We're going to need her and others when the OBL tries amnesty again.

I think it is important to understand what type of person Bill O' Reilly really is:
    O'Reilly Goes Insane
    Apparently this is par for the course for his personality. A good benchmark for the type of person who supports illegal immigration: Narcissitic, soicipathic, immature and greedy. No respect for law, people or the rights of others. I can only imagine what he's like 24/7. Probably a brutish psychopath.

It seems we can figure that he and McCain are two of a kind. So there shouldn't be any misunderstanding with this narcissitic GOP lapdog is any thing of a friend to America.

He seems to easily switch personas, similar to his loyalties.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast