Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Over 1,200 Students Sign Petition to Block Michelle Obama Speech at Their Graduation

Over 1,200 Students Sign Petition to Block Michelle Obama Speech at Their Graduation

by Top Right News
    on April 20, 2014

Students Concerned Obama’s Presence Would Be Too Political; Overshadow Their Accomplishments

by Jason DeWitt | Top Right News

A furor has erupted over plans by the Topeka, Kansas school district for First Lady Michelle Obama to address a combined graduation ceremony for five area high schools next month an 8,000-seat arena.

For many students, it was the prospect of a tight limit on the number of seats allotted to each graduate, with Obama staff and the media taking up hundreds of seats from families. For others, it was the notion that Obama’s speech, tied to the 60th anniversary of the U.S. Supreme Court’s decision in Brown v. Board of Education outlawing segregation in schools, would overshadow the students’ big day.

There were rumors that the school district was pressured to “invite” Mrs. Obama to the May 17th graduation event, so she could give a high-profile speech about race. But parents and students aren’t exactly pleased to play second-fiddle to the Obama’s political machinations.
    The DailyMail talked to several students and parents:

‘I’m a single mother who has raised him for 18 years by myself,’ said Tina Hernandez, parent of Topeka High School senior Dauby Knight. ‘I’ve told him education is the only way out. This is one of the biggest days of their lives. They’ve taken the glory and shine from the children and put on Mrs. Obama. She doesn’t know our kids.’

Hernandez was among the parents and students who spoke Thursday at a school board meeting and urged district officials to reconsider their decision to invite Obama.

If I were Ms.Hernandez, I would now be a lot more concerned with how Michelle and her infamous gal pal Valerie Jarrett were planning to retaliate for that quote in an international news site.

Ron Harbaugh, spokesman for the Topeka school district, said Friday discussions were under way to work out the logistics and planning for the event, including how many tickets each family would be allotted.

Not good enough for student Taylor Gifford, 18, who started an online petition on Thursday evening to urge the district to reconsider its plans. She and more than 1,200 Topeka seniors have signed it so far.

‘People think it’s a great opportunity, but it’s the graduates’ time. They are getting that diploma that they worked so hard for,’ Gifford said. ‘Families are feeling that they are being cheated out of the loved ones special day.

Some people have said bringing in the first lady politicizes the graduation. Others have suggested that if she wants to mark the Brown anniversary, she could just visit the historic site that commemorates the decision, which is just few blocks from the graduation venue.

There is no way the school is going to rescind their invitation, and no way Michelle has enough class to decline it, given the massive controversy. So expect some major fireworks, a feisty, race-baiting speech by Obama, and left-wing media pummeling the district parents as racists.

The Obama’s live to agitate and divide the American people.

http://toprightnews.com/?p=2604

Quote Originally Posted by Newmexican View Post

by Top Right News
    on April 20, 2014

Students Concerned Obama’s Presence Would Be Too Political; Overshadow Their Accomplishments

by Jason DeWitt | Top Right News

A furor has erupted over plans by the Topeka, Kansas school district for First Lady Michelle Obama to address a combined graduation ceremony for five area high schools next month an 8,000-seat arena.

For many students, it was the prospect of a tight limit on the number of seats allotted to each graduate, with Obama staff and the media taking up hundreds of seats from families. For others, it was the notion that Obama’s speech, tied to the 60th anniversary of the U.S. Supreme Court’s decision in Brown v. Board of Education outlawing segregation in schools, would overshadow the students’ big day.

There were rumors that the school district was pressured to “invite” Mrs. Obama to the May 17th graduation event, so she could give a high-profile speech about race. But parents and students aren’t exactly pleased to play second-fiddle to the Obama’s political machinations.
    The DailyMail talked to several students and parents:

‘I’m a single mother who has raised him for 18 years by myself,’ said Tina Hernandez, parent of Topeka High School senior Dauby Knight. ‘I’ve told him education is the only way out. This is one of the biggest days of their lives. They’ve taken the glory and shine from the children and put on Mrs. Obama. She doesn’t know our kids.’

Hernandez was among the parents and students who spoke Thursday at a school board meeting and urged district officials to reconsider their decision to invite Obama.

If I were Ms.Hernandez, I would now be a lot more concerned with how Michelle and her infamous gal pal Valerie Jarrett were planning to retaliate for that quote in an international news site.

Ron Harbaugh, spokesman for the Topeka school district, said Friday discussions were under way to work out the logistics and planning for the event, including how many tickets each family would be allotted.

Not good enough for student Taylor Gifford, 18, who started an online petition on Thursday evening to urge the district to reconsider its plans. She and more than 1,200 Topeka seniors have signed it so far.

‘People think it’s a great opportunity, but it’s the graduates’ time. They are getting that diploma that they worked so hard for,’ Gifford said. ‘Families are feeling that they are being cheated out of the loved ones special day.

Some people have said bringing in the first lady politicizes the graduation. Others have suggested that if she wants to mark the Brown anniversary, she could just visit the historic site that commemorates the decision, which is just few blocks from the graduation venue.

There is no way the school is going to rescind their invitation, and no way Michelle has enough class to decline it, given the massive controversy. So expect some major fireworks, a feisty, race-baiting speech by Obama, and left-wing media pummeling the district parents as racists.

The Obama’s live to agitate and divide the American people.

http://toprightnews.com/?p=2604
    well this is the kids day not her day let them all be . I would block her also I don't wnat to listen to her at all
    good luck to all kids .