Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Page FedupinWaukegan

Fedupinwaukegan are you OK. That explosion in your city looks horrible. Please let us know you're OK.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Re: Page FedupinWaukegan

Quote Originally Posted by Gogo
    Fedupinwaukegan are you OK. That explosion in your city looks horrible. Please let us know you're OK.
    What explosion?

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-w ... 9128.story

chicagotribune.com
    5 hurt in explosion at Waukegan mall
    'It lifted the roof off of the building, then set it down'
    By Andrew Wang

Tribune reporter

2:06 PM CST, February 28, 2008

Five people were injured Thursday afternoon as an explosion blew out three adjacent stores in a business district in north suburban Waukegan at Grand and Lewis Avenues, authorities said.

"It appears to be a gas explosion at this time," said Waukegan Police Chief Bill Biang.

The five injured have been transported to Vista Medical Center East in Waukegan, but there are no details on their conditions. All five of the injured were inside Cleopatra's Unisex Hair Salon, in the 1900 block of Grand Avenue, said Dan Young, deputy fire chief of the Waukegan Fire Department.

The Fire Department responded to the call shortly after noon when a police officer driving by the strip of shops and businesses witnessed the explosion, Young said.

"It lifted the roof off of the building, then set it down. Then the walls collapsed inside," Young said. Fire crews were on the scene Thursday afternoon making sure the buildings were safe to re-enter.

They have not heard any specific reports of people unaccounted for, Young said.

Police have evacuated the whole block, but most of the other buildings just have broken glass.

North Shore Gas is on the scene and trying to turn off the gas. Bonnie Johnson, a spokeswoman for North Shore, said crews will not be able to enter the collapsed structure until firefighters give them word that it is safe, which "could take awhile."

Biang said authorities have evacuated the whole block while they work to get things under control.

Megdi Hussain, 29, who owns a dollar store across the street, said he heard an explosion at about 12:30 p.m., and the windows of his store simultaneously blew out. He said he went outside and saw the fronts of the three stores opposite were gone, and merchandise littered the street.

"I saw dolls that you put tuxes on," he said. "I thought maybe a bomb was thrown in the block."

The building also houses Tuxedo World and Cellular Concepts. Authorities are also investigating an adjacent vacant building, Biang said.

Tribune reporters Jason Meisner and Tina Shah contributed to this report

Copyright © 2008, Chicago Tribune

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loca ... 9128.story

On Fox now.....looks bad. 6 injured so far...

Re: Page FedupinWaukegan

Quote Originally Posted by ALIPAC
    Quote Originally Posted by Gogo
    What explosion?

W

Fox News is breaking in with news alerts on it for the last hour or so.

Please keep us updated.

I live in the area and was out earlier when it happened. I heard about it on the radio. According to the local radio a large section of Grand Avenue, one of the main roads is closed and will be closed for some time. I haven't seen any pictures but it sounds bad. I hope Fedup is OK.
    "Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a burglar an uninvited house guest."

Quote Originally Posted by Disillusioned
    I live in the area and was out earlier when it happened. I heard about it on the radio. According to the local radio a large section of Grand Avenue, one of the main roads is closed and will be closed for some time. I haven't seen any pictures but it sounds bad. I hope Fedup is OK.

Glad you're okay!!!

I hope Fedup wasn't in the area when it happened.

Quote Originally Posted by azwreath
    Quote Originally Posted by Disillusioned

Glad you're okay!!!

I hope Fedup wasn't in the area when it happened.
    Yes glad you are OK Disillusioned.

According to the news on Fox that the roof literally blew off the building and landed collapsing the walls of several stores. They suspect that a gas break or leak caused it at the hairdressers store.

8 or 9 hurt and one missing so far.

Thank you so much for thinking of me. I work far enough that I didn't hear anything, but I don't live far from this area -very scary.

Some people said they smelled gas in the area. Here is some video from a helicopter. CNN is carrying two videos.

This kind of news we don't need?!

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/200 ... losion.cnn

We'll see what they determine it to be. I'll tell you what though -very odd to go to CNN and see one's home town the headline news.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast