Pennacchio targets illegal immigration in U.S. Senate bid
State senator kicks off campaign - New Jersey

BY MICHAEL DAIGLE
DAILY RECORD
Friday, January 18, 2008

JERSEY CITY -- As he announced his candidacy for the Republican nomination for U.S. Senate at Liberty State Park on Thursday, state Sen. Joseph Pennacchio said he chose the backdrop for the symbolism of the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island and the former site of the World Trade Center.

Pennacchio, 52, said the iconic sites represent themes in his campaign: the desire for immigrants seeking a new life, the right to self-determination, a better economy and the need for a strong national defense.

Ellis Island, he said, is the "front door" to America, not some "dusty back road in the Southwest."

Ending illegal immigration will be a key campaign issue, Pennacchio said.

Other top issues will be to fight higher taxes, to support an effective defense against the nation's enemies, to support energy independence, to expand the economy and to help the free market provide health care for all.

"I wanted to formally announce my candidacy here in front of the Statue of Liberty because she serves as an ideal reminder of millions of people's hopes and dreams for a better tomorrow. I also have hopes for a better day and have the Republican vision and experience to help create a better tomorrow for all New Jerseyans," Pennacchio said.

"Lady Liberty is also a reminder of our nation's ideal to take in the poor and huddled masses yearning to be free, which has been undermined by over-taxation and run-away spending."

Pennacchio is one of three Republicans seeking the party's nomination to take on Democratic Sen. Frank Lauternberg, 84.

The other Republicans are real estate developer Anne Evans Estabrook and Ramapo University business professor Murray Sabrin.

Pennacchio said he will not make a campaign issue of Lautenberg's age.

Assembly Minority Leader Alex DeCroce, R-Parsippany, said Pennacchio is qualified and experienced enough to handle the Senate job.

Morris County Freeholder John Murphy, who ran in the 2004 Republican primary for governor, said Pennacchio is in for "a wonderful experience" that is the equivalent of taking on another full-time job.

Pennacchio will spend a lot of time on the road meeting with potential financial and political supporters because it will be important to gain recognition in parts of the state where he is unknown, Murphy said.

Impressing the right person in Ocean County, for example, could mean that Pennacchio picks up 200 votes, Murphy said.

The days start at 5 a.m. for Pennacchio sometimes, Murphy said. And after a full day of conducting his own business as a dentist and legislator, the nights are filled with political meetings. There is a lot of time in cars and on the phone, Murphy said.

Pennacchio said he is running to tackle issues that affect regular Americans: taxes, jobs and safety. He took a swipe at the Democrats for what he termed their tax-and-spend agenda, and another poke at Gov. Jon Corzine, saying that now is not the time to be adding more state debt or raising tolls. He said he does not recall ever voting for a tax increase in his time in office.

That effort is behind the "Jersey Joe" campaign theme, he said.

"I am just like the man on the street here in New Jersey, an 'average Joe,' and I have worked tirelessly to achieve what I have accomplished thus far. But there is more work to be done," Pennacchio said.

"My hope is that New Jersey Republicans will let a real Republican with the right vision lead the way."

Pennacchio has been a state assemblyman since 2001. He won the 26th District Senate seat in November. He also served a term as a Morris County freeholder beginning in 1998.

He said the heart of his campaign is about fulfilling the American Dream.

"(The Statue of Liberty) has always welcomed people from around the world to our shores, regardless of where we came from -- in my family's case, a poor, Italian immigrant family that settled in the Bensonhurst section of Brooklyn -- and reminded us that the opportunity for success is equal for all. I believe that our system of government must protect this right of self-determination, a right worth fighting for," Pennacchio said.

http://www.dailyrecord.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... 203/NEWS01