Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Protester Urge DREAM Act Passage at Krome Detention Center

Protesters urge DREAM Act passage.
    South Florida immigration advocates staged a small protest at the entrance of the Krome detention center in West Miami-Dade.
    BY ALFONSO CHARDY
    achardy@ElNuevoHerald.com
    A small group of immigration activists staged a protest at the entrance to the Krome immigrant detention center Monday, the first of what they said will be weekly demonstrations seeking a suspension of deportations while Congress decides whether to legalize undocumented immigrants.

``We will be doing this every Monday at Krome or other immigration sites, to ask President Obama to order a moratorium in deportations until Congress decides on the DREAM Act and comprehensive immigration reform,'' said Nora Sándigo, president of American Fraternity, one of several immigrant rights groups whose members participated in the protest.

Monday's rally on Krome Avenue at the entrance to the facility in West Miami-Dade is the latest by immigrant rights activists here in connection with the new push in Washington to legalization of undocumented immigrants. President Barack Obama last week told leaders of the lame-duck Congress that he will push for passage of the DREAM Act, legislation that would give green cards to undocumented students illegally brought to the United States by their parents when they were children.

Obama has said he does not see any possibility of legalizing millions of undocumented immigrants unless a significant number of Republicans sign on to comprehensive immigration reform.

White House officials and congressional Democratic leaders believe the DREAM Act has a better change of passing in the lame-duck session than comprehensive reform because the number of beneficiaries would be smaller.

Nevertheless, opponents of immigration reform are gearing up to thwart passage of the DREAM Act.

The Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR) said in a statement Monday that the DREAM Act is nothing but a bill that would ``provide amnesty to illegal aliens.''

And Sen. Jeff Sessions, R-Ala., issued a warning that the DREAM Act would spark chain migration through which newly legalized immigrants, once they become U.S. citizens, would claim parents and other relatives leading millions of future immigrants. A recent study by the Washington-based Migration Policy Institute (MPI) said that while 2.1 million undocumented youths could be eligible to apply for legal status under the DREAM Act, if it passes, perhaps no more than 825,000 would actually be able to meet the bill's education or military service requirements.

Comprehensive immigration reform would grant legal status to all or a majority of the estimated 10.8 million undocumented immigrants in the U.S.

Besides Sándigo's American Fraternity, other groups represented at the rally included Florida Immigran Coalition, the Latin American Voter's League, the Peruvian American Coalition and Coalition of Latin Organizations for Comprehensive Immigration Reform.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/11/23/1 ... z168z2YbMe
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

This has got to be stopped once again and after this I hope it is PUT TO BED FOR GOOD> Deport the criminals now
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

I don't understand why ICE just doesn't verify the status of those protesting as it is an immigration detention facility. If they are illegal well all they have to do is bring theminside the building.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)