Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Rand Paul: With ‘Sufficient Legal Immigration, You Don’t Have Illegal Immigration’

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Rand Paul: With ‘Sufficient Legal Immigration, You Don’t Have Illegal Immigration’

by CAROLINE MAY
    26 Jan 2016

GOP presidential candidate Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) insists a 100-foot wall is not necessarily the answer to border security and he argues adequate legal immigration can help alleviate America’s illegal immigration problem.

Speaking to a Sirius XM town hall meeting hosted by Breitbart News’ Stephen K. Bannon, Paul said that while his libertarian beliefs do not mean he is an open-borders politician, he is not sold on a full end-to-end border wall.

“There are some libertarians who believe in wide open borders,” Paul told the town hall meeting. “I don’t and I’m pretty libertarian — I don’t believe in wide-open borders. But I also am not positive that we need 100-foot wall between here and there.”

According to Paul, border security is a necessity not just for national security but also to prevent “millions of people from coming across the border.”

“Even Milton Friedman, who many said was a libertarian, said that you can’t have open borders and a welfare state and I do believe that,” Paul said. “But if you look at the border there are going to be places that there are walls. There are walls in some of our cities now and they do tend to work — in the desert though, if you had a 1,015 miles of desert, I would probably put five or six helicopter stations and I would have sensors. But everybody who came in illegally would be sent back.”

While in favor of steps to increase border security, Paul argued that legal immigration — tied to the needs of the U.S. — also can play a part in reducing illegal immigration.

“I also would have a work program, have legal immigration, and I would have it sufficient to match what we do need in the country,” he said. “And if you have sufficient legal immigration, you don’t have illegal immigration. And then really there is this balance and less of a need for, you know, razor wire.”

When pressed by host Bannon about GOP frontrunner Donald Trump’s calls to build a border wall, bring back jobs from China, and suspending immigration from Muslim countries, Paul said he did not think any of the mentioned proposals “had to do with limited government or balanced budget.”

So he might do some of those things,” Rand Paul said, indicating that he did “not necessarily” disagree with Trump’s ideas. “But I’m just saying they might be extraordinarily expensive and they may take and extraordinarily government to do.”

Paul added that he proposed putting additional restrictions on immigration from high-risk nations before Trump said he would pause immigration from Muslim countries.

“Two months before Trump said anything about immigration bans on Muslims, I said — let’s don’t ban a religion, but I know of 34 countries that have radical Islamic movements, that we should have more vetting of them coming — not that they’re never going to come — but we should have more screening and vetting of all of these folks who are coming here,” Paul said.

“So you can have a lot of the things he’s saying, but what I don’t hear him saying is that he’s for limited constitutional government,” he added.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...l-immigration/
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Poor Rand Paul. He's such a nice guy and I love his work to protect our liberties, but he's not the guy who can fix our problems because like immigration, he doesn't know what the problem is. The problem is too many people Rand, too many legal immigrants on top of to too many illegal aliens. Too many people.

That's why we need at least a 10 to 20 Year Moratorium on All Immigration and we need it now.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW
    “I also would have a work program, have legal immigration, and I would have it sufficient to match what we do need in the country,” he said. “And if you have sufficient legal immigration, you don’t have illegal immigration. And then really there is this balance and less of a need for, you know, razor wire.”
    Like father (Ron Paul), like son (Rand Paul). The Paul's, both of them, believe in the free movement of commerce and people through an open border.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

This is the fuzzy thinking typical of Libertarians. Incidentally in Oregon, where the liberals and their admittedly bi-sexual feminist governor are running wild with new legislation and higher taxes, a Republican candidate just narrowly missed getting elected in 2010, by 22,000 votes.

The Libertarians and the Constitutionalists together siphoned off about 30,000 votes, so that was enough to hand the Governor's office to the liberal Democrats.

Why do I say fuzzy thinking? Many Libertarians favor no regulation of commerce or of moral standards either. They have a thinking that almost zero government regulation will create a free and just society. I would say that that the realities of our trade policies,---and the utter manipulation that other countries engage in to promote their products, requires a stronger government response in the US. We are seeing globalization in many adverse forms---not just Trade agreements, but movement of labor and advocacy of "rights" to do that, worldwide movements for "housing or medical rights," transnational criminal organizations, secret military alliances, Council on Foreign Relations and other academic influence---all leading to a situation where the prestige of the US spirals downward in decline. Trump is at least talking about these things----the other candidates don't seem to be, they are stuck in their particular ideology.

These problems of globalization are at bottom business problems, and someone with a good business head needs to deal with them. Just someone not beholden to the corporate elites and globalism---like Carly Fiorina for example, or John McCain. Someone like Trump!
    Last edited by Captainron; 01-26-2016 at 04:10 PM.
    "Men of low degree are vanity, Men of high degree are a lie. " David
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Someone like Trump!
    Exactly. I hope Republicans take over our party again. It's struggled in the maze of neocons, libertarians, conservatives, religionists, and others who may vote Republican and believe in some of the principles, but are something else also that gets in the way of our nation, our progress, our well-being, our survival, our liberty and our happiness.

It's a very exciting time for our party and our country, and I pray it all works out for the best for both.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy