Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Rangel threatens to walk out of his ethics trial, demands la

Rangel threatens to walk out of his ethics trial, demands lawyer
    By Jordan Fabian - 11/15/10 09:46 AM ET

The ethics subcommittee trying embattled Rep. Charles Rangel recessed after 30 minutes Monday after the Harlem lawmaker threatened to walk out of the proceedings.

In a lengthy and contentious informal opening statement, Rangel (D-N.Y.) complained that the panel putting him on trial for allegedly violating 13 House ethics rules trampled on his due process rights since it began the hearing without him having legal representation. Rangel repeatedly asked for a postponement of the trial.

"Since I don't have counsel, I am going to have to excuse myself from these proceedings," Rangel said.

"Fifty years of public service is on the line," he continued. "I am entitled to a lawyer in this proceeding."

The committee went to a closed-door hearing upon the request of subcommittee member Rep. G.K. Butterfield (D-N.C.).

Ethics committee Chairwoman Zoe Lofgren (D-Calif.) said Rangel had the opportunity to hire a lawyer using either personal funds, campaign money or a legal defense fund.

Rangel shot back that acquiring pro bono or discounted counsel would violate ethics rules against gifts.

"I would want you to know that I don't think it's fair that I participate in any type of proceeding if in fact which you are basically telling me that the political calendar would not allow me to get a lawyer at this point of in my life," he added.

Rangel recently parted ways with his attorneys after spending over $1 million on his defense over the course of two years. During his remarks, Rangel referred to the fact that he spent a large sum of money to defend himself during the past two years.

Before he threatened to walk out of the trial, Rangel said it was "very, very unwise" to represent himself.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing- ... n-attorney

Kathyet

Why hasn't this scum bag been CRIMINALLY INDICTED!!! This ridiculous ethics trial is nothing but a dog and pony show in which he's being judged by the same corrupted group of peers that have looked the other way on his criminal activity for the past thirty years!
    Rangel shot back that acquiring pro bono or discounted counsel would violate ethics rules against gifts.
    This guy is a real piece of work! This dirt bag is a disgrace to this country.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

That is funny. Him whining about legal counsel after he's already had legal counsel and he himself is a lawyer? Go hire a lawyer, step down or shut up.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

you mean to tell me that ever since he has been an adult, he has never keep a lawyer on call in case something happened.

I DONT BUY That for a minute.

and why cant the hearing continue even if he walked out

Quote Originally Posted by jamesw62
    you mean to tell me that ever since he has been an adult, he has never keep a lawyer on call in case something happened.

I DONT BUY That for a minute.

and why cant the hearing continue even if he walked out

Last I heard it has continued with out him..

Kathyet

good , glad to hear they didn't bend because of this man's antics ... i'm SURE he must of known when the hearing was going to be , BECAUSE HE'S INOLVED in it ....

for him to act like he was caught off guard is comletely asine ... a grown man acting like this , and an elected officl none the less ...

if he had , had any sense he would have resgined about two years ago ....

let's hope the democrats on this are able to put aside partisian poltics and kick the bum out ...

Hey! didn't Saddam do the exact same thing, before they hung his ass!
    "SORRY!CHARLIE!"
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

"Fifty years of public service is on the line," he continued. "I am entitled to a lawyer in this proceeding."
    So go sell one of your numerous properties and get yourself another lawyer! This guy wants to plead poverty after fifty years of enriching himself at the public trough!

Government in this country has gotten very ugly!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

It's time for an "EXTREME MAKEROVER" Someone call Ty!
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

He should have an attorney

I agree that he should be allowed to get an attorney. I don't like him in particular but he deserves fair justice. He has already spent more than $1 million of his personal funds on legal defense. Although there are lawyers willing to work for him for free this is prohibited by House rules. In order to take advantage of the free lawyers' offers he has to set up a legal defense committee to which the lawyers can donate their services. Doing all the paperwork for this requires time which the House won't give him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast