Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

reconcilliation?

just out of curiosity if someone can catch me up on this. my understanding is this dream act is being hooked to some senate bill. my question is is there anyway that shady cat obama can use reconcilliation over the will of the american people
    <div>"If I had known this I would have picked my own cotton"</div>

Reconciliation bills have to do with finance and taxes - nothing to do with the dream act could come in a Reconciliation bill.

Reconciliation generally involves legislation that changes the budget deficit (or conceivably, the surplus). The "Byrd Rule" (2 U.S.C. § 644, named after Democratic Senator Robert Byrd) was adopted in 1985 and amended in 1990 to outline which provisions reconciliation can and cannot be used for. The Byrd Rule defines a provision to be "extraneous" (and therefore ineligible for reconciliation) in six cases:

if it does not produce a change in outlays or revenues;
    if it produces an outlay increase or revenue decrease when the instructed committee is not in compliance with its instructions;
    if it is outside the jurisdiction of the committee that submitted the title or provision for inclusion in the reconciliation measure;
    if it produces a change in outlays or revenues which is merely incidental to the non-budgetary components of the provision;
    if it would increase the deficit for a fiscal year beyond those covered by the reconciliation measure, though the provisions in question may receive an exception if they in total in a Title of the measure net to a reduction in the deficit; and
    if it recommends changes in Social Security.

Quote Originally Posted by judyweller
    Reconciliation bills have to do with finance and taxes - nothing to do with the dream act could come in a Reconciliation bill.

Reconciliation generally involves legislation that changes the budget deficit (or conceivably, the surplus). The "Byrd Rule" (2 U.S.C. § 644, named after Democratic Senator Robert Byrd) was adopted in 1985 and amended in 1990 to outline which provisions reconciliation can and cannot be used for. The Byrd Rule defines a provision to be "extraneous" (and therefore ineligible for reconciliation) in six cases:

if it does not produce a change in outlays or revenues;
    if it produces an outlay increase or revenue decrease when the instructed committee is not in compliance with its instructions;
    if it is outside the jurisdiction of the committee that submitted the title or provision for inclusion in the reconciliation measure;
    if it produces a change in outlays or revenues which is merely incidental to the non-budgetary components of the provision;
    if it would increase the deficit for a fiscal year beyond those covered by the reconciliation measure, though the provisions in question may receive an exception if they in total in a Title of the measure net to a reduction in the deficit; and
    if it recommends changes in Social Security.
    i figured that, but since they are going to spend all this money couldnt it be argued that they effect the budget because they are flushing more of our dough down the toilt?

The house sold us out looks like our last hope is the senate. we need to hit numbers hard as i am. many boxes were filled up. We conservatives also need to try to protect olympia snowe if she votes with us from the tea party as if she will get kicked out anyway she might figure why not vote against it

God save America
    <div>"If I had known this I would have picked my own cotton"</div>